The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Branch and Claw rulebook typos and questions

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
AdamH
Branch and Claw rulebook typos and questions

I played my first game with the expansion last night, it was pretty fun. I have a few rules questions and I wanted to point out a couple of typos in the rulebook.

1. We got the event "Distant Exploration" which says "Invaders Explore at +1 distance" -- we had no idea what this was supposed to mean. We kind of guessed and said that the explore action would affect lands within 2 range of the coast or cities/towns, but that still seems a bit weird to me. Like, this is for terror level 1, so pretty much every explore action is going to hit all lands of that type regardless, so this event will almost never change anything, right?

2. There was a card (I can't remember the name) but you targeted a player with the card. The card then said to lose one of "your presence" and then target spirit does some stuff. So would it be correct to say that the person who played the card always loses the presence, even if they targeted another spirit?

I also noticed a couple of typos in the rulebook on page 11:

"Strife tokens represent internal turmoil and discard within..."

"Strife is removed when the Damage is affects is dealth..."

Finally, I've attached an image that ended up causing a moment of panic last night when I referred to the back cover of the manual to see what the tokens did -- it appears that the images (or maybe the text) for wilds and disease are switched on the back cover. In the picture is the reference in the middle of the manual for comparison -- all of the other references seem to be OK except for the back cover.
AdamH

forgot to attach the image

Attachment(s): 
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

1. It means exactly what you got to. In general, do you know about the FAQ at http://is.gd/sifaq? It has the answers to lots of questions, including this one.

Strategically, I usually find that early game is when I'm most likely to be able to prevent an Explore (by picking off some of the initial Towns). If I'm in enough control late game that the Invaders miss many Explores, I'm probably well on my way to winning.

2. You're thinking of Growth Through Sacrifice, and your interpretation is correct. (Link to the amazing SICK database.)

And thanks for the mistakes--a number of mistakes crept in during the latest printing. The back-cover reference you found is probably the worst so far. An errata pack is in the works. There's a thread on BGG.

AdamH

I was not aware of the FAQ site. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!