The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Champions of the Dahan Token Pack is disappointing

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
McRae
Champions of the Dahan Token Pack is disappointing

The Champions of the Dahan Token Pack is billed as providing you everything you need to upgrade the game from 4 players max to 6 players. While it does provide extra invader figures and two more sets of presence tokens, it does not provide additional reminder tokens for the two extra players, nor does it provide any more fear tokens or energy tokens (which run out quickly with only 4 players). Also, this was sold separately from the 6 player island mat that you also need if you want to play with more than 4. What was the point of selling these things individually, and what was the point in not having any more fear tokens? I feel like most people who love this game enough to buy the 6 player upgrades would be fine with spending another couple bucks to have the fear and energy tokens you need. It seems lazy and, as indicated in the title, disapppointing. How do those of us who have purchased the Token Pack and 6 player mat go about getting the missing fear tokens and extra energy tokens?

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I can agree. I have found a workaround for the maps but getting more fear and energy would be nice. I am one of those players that like the little bits, preferring that over dice.

I know this is supposed to be a holdover for the next expansion but who knows when it will get here. (I assume a kick starter after the RPG Kickstarter, saying nothing of when Prime wars will be Kickstarter again.)

Also, the map is also hard to read so I get a huge headache afterward.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Gregory

I agree, too.

A further disappointment was the fact that noone from GTG reacted to these issues when I wrote about it to support...

morph147

The downside is based off a comment they have made in past about adding 2 more island tiles instead of having to buy the spirit map. Sounds like they are planning a 5-6 player expansion more along the lines of settlers of catan. Idk why they didn’t just do this right off the bat with the champion of dahan but  I guess wait and see what happens

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
... adding 2 more island tiles instead of having to buy the spirit map. ... Idk why they didn’t just do this right off the bat with the champion of dahan but  I guess wait and see what happens
The new Island tiles need to be balanced and playtested against the original maps and each other. The design wasn't ready at the time of the original release.
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

And by "new island tiles", dpt is referring to the "normal" play side of the map, not the thematic side (which is already shown on the play mat).

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

morph147

dpt wrote:

morph147 wrote:
... adding 2 more island tiles instead of having to buy the spirit map. ... Idk why they didn’t just do this right off the bat with the champion of dahan but  I guess wait and see what happens

The new Island tiles need to be balanced and playtested against the original maps and each other. The design wasn't ready at the time of the original release.

Ah that makes sense and something I had not been told. Well hopefully when they do the next expansion they release a 5-6 player expansion but not sure how easy it will be to play with 5 players based off shape of the map. I can see 6 players working as long as set up is done right.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

It's been stated in other threads, either here or elsewhere or both, that design goals for the expansion being designed include:

• Support for 5-6 players
  • Ability to have at least some content used with the core game only, and without the existing Branch & Claw expansion
  • More of everything already existing in the game - Spirits, Powers, Adversaries, Scenarios.
  • In addition, the currently existing playmat has symbols for two types of tokens that do not exist in Branch & Claw. It can be reasonably surmised that the forthcoming expansion is a logical place to introduce those.
speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

As someone who has played lots of five players, the map is just fine.  You are a bit more isolated but with some teamwork, people can help you out. I would definitely no recommend for the first few games. 6 players is just fine, a lot on the board but if everyone chip in and take cares of there board everything is ok.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star