The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

That's not a bad idea! We could use another week of "every villain is accidentally Spite."

pricyprovinces
pricyprovinces's picture
Playtester

Just discovered that Heroic Infinitor and Freak Show from Madame Mittermeier's can be tough if Infinitor is the lowest hp hero target. Because he doesn't have a way to discard cards to get rid of Freak Show, it is impossible to win unless another hero target becomes the lowest or you play an environment destruction card.

if life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon. - the scholar, stranger in a strange world #9

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh wow D: That's terrible!

bolnerap

So I took F5 Wraith for a random spin today, and boy howdy did her base power get along with Setback. Surprising Fortune giving Setback two more cards? Don't mind if I do!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Don't forget about Cash Out.

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

I went and did the Ultimate Spite match on stream tonight. Check it out if you missed it!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm sorry I wasn't there even though I'm the one who requested it; I haven't been feeling very good for the past couple of weeks.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Roger the Alien

Well, I was hoping that if I target with Unitys Hasty Augmentation Freedom Five Tachyon each instance of damage gets the +2 buff but it wasn‘t the case. Just her base damage was affected but not the other sources of damage after selecting cards. Anyway her discard pile was full of burst cards and there were 3 other buffs around^^

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

I think that this was something MigrantP brought up on the stream a few weeks ago as a potential rules question for Christopher. It makes sense to me, since the text allows you to "use this power again"  instead of something llike "repeat the game text of this card." Hasty Augment would be amazingly rediculous otherwise. 

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Roger the Alien

Thank you for the answer. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We checked with Christopher and the way it is working in the game is correct.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

The Burning Stickman

Turns out F5 Wraith's power stacks. And since it lasts to the end of her next turn, you don't even need an out-of-turn power use to do it. So if you use it two turns in a row, she can discard after the first draw that is part of the power, then when she draws to finish her turn, she can discard twice to dole out two card draws.

bolnerap

Don't be like me, folks: hold off on Freedom Five Tachyon's Blitz in Magmaria when Crystalloid Behemoth is in play. I'd worked out the Hasty Augment issue with the multiple power uses, but I'd forgotten about the Behemoth's counter damage every time you use a power. 

...this might be a hilarious way to boost the number of cards in Tachyon's trash against Spite, though it would hurt a bit.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

@bolnerap: Related to that is when I was playing Iron Legacy for nemesis message reasons and had a brain blip and forgot that Final Evolution triggers on every power use and not just the first one. It was like "Oops. Yeah, let's rewind and actually NOT waste all of Tachyon's Burst cards for no good reason."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

The Burning Stickman

bolnerap wrote:

Don't be like me, folks: hold off on Freedom Five Tachyon's Blitz in Magmaria when Crystalloid Behemoth is in play. I'd worked out the Hasty Augment issue with the multiple power uses, but I'd forgotten about the Behemoth's counter damage every time you use a power. ...this might be a hilarious way to boost the number of cards in Tachyon's trash against Spite, though it would hurt a bit.

... Oh gods, if Spite's damage is negated, Tachyon could just keep using Blitz forever.
Blackfang108
Playtester

mwc146 wrote:

bolnerap wrote:
Don't be like me, folks: hold off on Freedom Five Tachyon's Blitz in Magmaria when Crystalloid Behemoth is in play. I'd worked out the Hasty Augment issue with the multiple power uses, but I'd forgotten about the Behemoth's counter damage every time you use a power. ...this might be a hilarious way to boost the number of cards in Tachyon's trash against Spite, though it would hurt a bit.

... Oh gods, if Spite's damage is negated, Tachyon could just keep using Blitz forever.

...Outside of her own deck, I can think of three easy ways to do that. 2 of them on the FV.

Legacy: Next Evolution & Lead from the Front

Wraith: Throat Jab

Chrono Ranger: Ultimate Target & Neutralizing Neurotoxin (He'll need to have hit Spite twice)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Wraith with double Stun Bolts and Utility Belt works too. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

mwc146 wrote:

bolnerap wrote:

Well no, because the discards/damage don't happen until after the power is finished, and finished means "after you stop using the option to repeat your power". So you can do it X times and AFTER you say no/don't have any more Bursts in the discard pile then you will trigger Spite's discard/damage clause X times.

So she could do use it every turn if someone gave her extra power uses but not infinitely on one turn.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

The Burning Stickman

Matchstickman wrote:

mwc146 wrote:
 bolnerap wrote:

Well no, because the discards/damage don't happen until after the power is finished, and finished means "after you stop using the option to repeat your power". So you can do it X times and AFTER you say no/don't have any more Bursts in the discard pile then you will trigger Spite's discard/damage clause X times.So she could do use it every turn if someone gave her extra power uses but not infinitely on one turn.

Fair point. But still, being able to pump out 23 damage on each of her turns is pretty good.
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I just tried that in the video game, and it doesn't work as well as you'd think.  Discarding from an empty deck causes it to get reshuffled, just like drawing from one does.  So what ends up happening is that you have to carefully add up the number of cards in her deck so that you use the power exactly the right number of times so that she gets as many bursts as possible in the trash (which may mean multiple shuffles).  Or else you get lazy, use all of them up every time, and end up with some random number of cards in your trash.

Still, with normal Legacy on the team to cancel out Spite's retaliation and boost Tachyon's damage, it was the easiest game I've ever played against Advanced AoG Spite.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Requital Captain Cosmic absolutely WRECKS the Bloodsworn Coliseum.

My first turn with him, I used his power to auto-win Chaos Lord. My second turn, I used the power again. Between the two, he had five constructs in play, including an Energy Bracer on himself, and a Potentially Disruption. So:

* A bunch of targets dealt Cosmic damage, winning him Mindbreaker

* The first was an Autonomous Blade, which won itself The Seeker

* Potent Disruption won Cosmic Death-Caller

Then, the next time something hit Cosmic, he:

* Dealt several Vitality Conduits and Dynamic Siphons 1 damage

* Played a construct off the bottom of his deck, which promptly won Stonejaw

!!!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Wow.

Wow.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I always worry about playing CC against Kaargra because all those 4-HP targets the villains can destroy are easy points for them. But I'll have to try this.

Submit your games here!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I honestly just love the mental image of Cosmic's constructs going around being gladiators with titles in their own right.

The Burning Stickman

That reminds me of the story of how Stealth Bot ended up with all the titles and basically won the whole thing single-handedly.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, what really struck me was how trivially he and his Constructs could get, like, ALL the titles.

I didn't even have this happen, but he could easily get Champion with a Construct Cataclysm or Conservation of Energy. A couple well-placed Autonomous Blades and Wounding Buffers, and he could use his power to get Indiscriminate. (Or choose the multiple-target damage on Cataclysm.)

About the only difficult one to get (where"difficult" probably just means "requiring help from other heroes, like Compulsion Canisters") is Reckless, and I don't think it's possible for him to get The Living Weapon. But all the rest...just use Requital a couple times!

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

Trajector wrote:

I don't think it's possible for him to get The Living Weapon.

For what variant?

Assuming this target is at 1HP, no DR or any redirection stuff, 

For XPW, he just uses his power to kill the target.

For Vanilla, he can reveal a damaging card and play it, correct? He's using his innate power to take it out.

For PW, I think it's impossible. 

But for Requital, are you able to equip a contruct with an Autonomous Blade, and then use Requital to make all of the contructs deal you damage, and have the blade act, once the construct it's next to hits you, to destroy the target in question? Would that work? 

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

carnilius
Playtester

I think most of those would work in theory with board game with house interpretations of the rules, but not the video game.  Otherwise you could argue that Grandpa Legacy's innate granting another player the ability to use their innate power to destroy a target as ambiguous of who would receive the title.

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

Fair point. 

Do the Fireside Chats clear anything about this up?

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Only powers that directly deal damage or destroy targets can earn Living Weapon.  Playing a card that deals damage does not earn it.  Triggering an effect that deals damage does not earn it.  Dealing damage and then finishing them off with Deathcaller or Flawless Execution does not earn it.  The power must be the direct cause of the destruction by a damage or destroy effect written into the power.

Similarly, damage written in the power is the only damage boosted by it, just like with Hasty Augmentation.

(I just tested the Flawless Execution version, in case anyone was wondering)

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, I was thinking about Requital Cosmic, and in his case it's always the Constructs or card plays dealing damage when he uses his base power - not the power itself.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I think that the constructs dealing damage would count as the power dealing damage, but I'm not sure.  That said, boosting the self-harm damage seems like a bad idea.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Similarly, damage written in the power is the only damage boosted by it, just like with Hasty Augmentation.

I think that the constructs dealing damage would count as the power dealing damage, but I'm not sure.  That said, boosting the self-harm damage seems like a bad idea.

Hasty Augmentation on XPW Cosmic boosts not only the damage dealt by him when he uses his power, but all his constructs as well.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Living Weapon can only be earned by heroes, though. There was a bug in the video game at one point, with XPW CC, where constructs could earn it, but that was fixed. Prior to that fix, I suppose Requital CC's constructs could have earned it, either via redirection or, very briefly, the direct way.

Submit your games here!

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Can Requital CC earn Living Weapon: Yes. But,

1. Why would you want to?

2. It requires both Guise, and The Sentinels.

3. It might not work properly in the video game since if you did this you'd probably be the first person to do this.

Here's how to do it though:

1. Get a 1 point damage boost from Legacy, Parse, Insula Primalis, etc.

2. Have Guise copy Caliginous Form and Human Shield via Yeah, I'm That Guy.

3. Trigger the self damage clause on Requital.

4. Redirect 1 of the hits to Guise and then redirect it again with Caliginous form so that it destroys a target.

...actually thinking on it, you could replace Caligionous Form with Total Beefcake which could eliminate step 1.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Or you could do it in The Enclave of the Endlings with Immutus.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Maze of Mirrors from MMFFCC

Heroic Interception

Drawn to the Flame

Ten hero ongoings in play, plus the Staff of Ra

Ra does eleven damage to all but one non-hero targets.

I did this against Ambuscade this morning, destroying two Reactive Platings, the Personal Cloaking Device, and a couple of devices.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

Or you could do it in The Enclave of the Endlings with Immutus.

That still shouldn't work. The source of the damage is the constructs, so the hero didn't do the destroying even though his power did. I mean, XPWCC can't get The Champion using just his base power, can he?

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The title doesn't say anything about the source of the damage. It says: "When a hero destroys a target using their innate power..."

Both XPW Captain Cosmic and Captain Cosmic: Requital can earn The Living Weapon if they destroy a target using their innate power (regardless of whether the destruction is caused by damage from CC or a construct).

Not sure why you're asking about The Champion, that has completely different wording. I suppose there might be shenanigans where you can get a Wounding Buffer to destroy 3 targets during his power usage. But then it would be the Wounding Buffer getting that title, not Captain Cosmic.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Speaking of Maze and Mirrors, that's a useful card if you want XPW AA to be able to use his 'Rebel Yell' power on himself.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

With every other "when X destroys a target" effect in the game, X has to be the one actually dealing the damage. For instance, if you played Compulsion Canister on someone other than Sky-Scraper and the damage destroyed a target, Sky-Scraper wouldn't have been said to have destroyed that target, even though it was her action and card that directly caused the destruction. I don't see why "when a hero destroys a target using their innate power" should behave differently from "when a hero destroys a target" in this way. I read it as an additional constraint on "when a hero destroys a target."

Submit your games here!

tedprodromou

Just had a surprising combination while playing, and I now cannot continue, weirdly.

I'm playing with Scholar and some other heroes against The Matriarch in Omnitron IV.

Internal Defense Grid is out, so whenever a new target enters play, the Grid deals it 1 damage.

Scholar just played Offensive Transmutation, so Matriarch cannot do damage. No Carrion Fields are out.

The Matriarch just played Darken The Sky, with a lot of birds in play.

Darken The Sky brings out a Fowl card, which the Grid immediately kills, but which keeps coming back again.

Cannot proceed!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That’s not what I encounter.  Each Fowl only comes out only once from the trash and then the Mask is played.  It’s a nice interaction when Matriarch can’t deal damage for your case I’m wondering how many Fowl were in the trash. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

Speaking of Maze and Mirrors, that's a useful card if you want XPW AA to be able to use his 'Rebel Yell' power on himself.

Oh, that's cool! And I rarely say that about that card.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

tedprodromou wrote:

Just had a surprising combination while playing, and I now cannot continue, weirdly.I'm playing with Scholar and some other heroes against The Matriarch in Omnitron IV.Internal Defense Grid is out, so whenever a new target enters play, the Grid deals it 1 damage.Scholar just played Offensive Transmutation, so Matriarch cannot do damage. No Carrion Fields are out.The Matriarch just played Darken The Sky, with a lot of birds in play.Darken The Sky brings out a Fowl card, which the Grid immediately kills, but which keeps coming back again.Cannot proceed!

To add to Powerhound's comment, that's not how it works.

1. Every Fowl comes out of the trash and go into a "holding area".
  2. A single Fowl enters play.
  3. Internal Defense Grid deals damage to the Fowl and kills it.
  4. The Highest HP Hero is offered the choice to destroy an Ongoing or take damage.
  5. The Matriarch tries to deal damage but fails.
  6. If there are more Fowl in the "holding area", Go back to 2.
  7. Check the trash for The Mask and put it into play.
  8. Internal Defense Grid deals damage to The Mask.
  9. Darken the Skies goes to the trash.
  10. Heroes celebrate

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm now reminded of the time I had Maze of Mirrors and Freak Show out at the same time while playing against Plague Rat and Sergeant Steel so I more or less got to just sit back and let the villains beat themselves up.

bolnerap

So, I've made clear on the Handelabra streams and in my own space that Isolated Hero is my least favorite card in the game, but I had a situation today where it actually helped.

I've been taking the Freedom Five variants through the gauntlet, having them take on each solo villain on Ultimate. So far they are performing very, very well, as one would expect. Today's game against Miss Information in Silver Gulch was hairy, though - once she flipped, I could barely do any damage because I never saw Inspiring Presence and her native 2 DR was tough to get around. Absolute Zero was isolated and couldn't benefit from extra card plays from Legacy or Bunker to keep himself afloat, so he went down pretty quickly.

I got to a situation where Legacy was down, Absolute Zero was down, Wraith and Bunker were both at 2, and Tachyon was at 14. Given MI's counter damage and wildly variable card plays on Challenge, I tried to figure out if I could bring her down from 32 in one round. Wraith could do 3, and Tachyon could do 26... but Bunker couldn't get through her DR and his base power whiffed. Tachyon had Synaptic Interruption out to block counter damage, but it would be DR'd down to 1 and leave MI at 2 HP with one last turn. Then it hit me -

AZ's incapacitated power of increase all damage dealt to and by targets by 1 would still affect Miss Information! So, Tachyon bounced MI's counter damage back to her with Synaptic Interruption... and it was increased by +1/+1 from Absolute Zero's incapacitated power, which was the extra 2 damage I needed to do her in.

Take that, Isolated Hero. :P

The Burning Stickman

Wouldn't that have still helped even without Isolated Hero?

bolnerap

Of course. But I didn't have enough Ongoing destruction to get rid of it (Challenge rules, there were a ton of Clues in play), and the point was more that I was able to get a benefit from an incap power in spite of Isolated Hero.

bolnerap

I managed to get The Seeker on Freedom Five Tachyon, the full ramifications of which did not hit me until I started using her base power. If you're lucky enough to have Inspiring Presence out (or another damage boost, but I'm using just the F5 variants), that's one Favor per hit from Blitz, and Kaargra goes down pretty quickly. I'm really enjoying F5 Tachyon.

Pages