The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blackfang108
Playtester

How so?  haven't played in CT, so I'm not sure how thses things interact.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Cards in Celestial Tribunal allow you to use the power on that Character Card pulled out by Representative of Earth

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Blackfang108
Playtester

Oh.

Wow.

Yeah...  Wow.

NICE.

carnilius
Playtester

Never realized some of the shenanigans that could occur with Caspit's Playground.

Was losing a game with Dark Visionary against the Dreamer in Freedom Tower: Dreamer was flipped and everyone was incapacitated but Visionary in her coccoon,  and I stumbled upon a combo that got me the win.  I thought all was lost when Mission Control played Demoralization, but I then realized I could hit everyone BUT the Dreamer and then kill Treacherous Ape last -- since Demoralization was now an Equipment, when he died he destroyed it so it wouldn't hurt Dreamer.  Then I used Rook City Wraith's Incapacitated ability to pull Demoralization from my trash into play, as it was an equipment card even in my trash.  Not my favorite way to win, but I did!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Dandolo wrote:

And Oddly enough, Requital Cosmic is often the best Representative of Earth when playing in Celestial Tribunal.

How so? I don't play in Tribunal as often as I'd like, so I need some tips.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Playing the top three cards of a deck is pretty powerful as the downside can't occur as there would be no constructs in play to deal damage.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Another pretty good CT hero is Termi-Nation Bunker. Especially from someone like the Naturalist or the Argent Adept, who can have spare ongoings to destroy. But yeah, Requital Cosmic and Team Leader Tachyon are pretty nuts as the representative. 

Also, Completionist Guise, but for different, headache-inducing reasons. 

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Now I want a book called 'The Spaced-Out Trial of Guise: Cosmic Attourney', told in the styles of a Phonix Wright game.

pricyprovinces
pricyprovinces's picture
Playtester

Anyone pointed out Requital Captain Cosmic and Extreme Haka with Ta Moko combo yet?

if life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon. - the scholar, stranger in a strange world #9

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Or Twist the Ether -- make his self damage Energy with Cosmic Crest out.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

We did get Requital Cosmic and Xtreme Haka in the thread. Twist the Ether will only work with Cosmic Crest for Unflagging Animation's 1 irreducible psychic. Requital's base power has each Construct deal him the damage. He doesn't deal it to himself.

I'm usually afraid of hero boosts like Legacy with Requital Cosmic, because of accidently losing half of my HP in one turn to boosted Construct damage. However, in my last game, Imbue Fire with Flesh of the Sun God made that a fantastic non-issue. 

The Burning Stickman

Oh, whoops. I thought it was him doing himself psychic damage for some reason.

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Would the seer' s nemesis effect stop the attacks?

Sapienta potentia est

Blackfang108
Playtester

padcurtin wrote:

Would the seer' s nemesis effect stop the attacks?

Yes, clearly.

The Damage is being directed at a Hero Target by a Hero Target.

bolnerap

Speaking of Requital Cosmic, I took him for a spin with the rest of the Not Prime Wardens variants (Eternal / Dark Conductor / Freedom 6 / Redeemer) and had fun with Zealous Offense slowing down Construct damage to Requital CC.

The Burning Stickman

Honestly, though, a pair of Energy Bracers on Hugh and the power is just golden.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I figured that bit out quick. But watchout for games with Legacy or Ra, or anyone who likes to raise damage for hero targets.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

However, Ra grants the amazing Imbued Flesh combo, which also nullifies the penalty nicely.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Which also makes him immune to his self-damage from Unflagging Animation. Which is actually great, since UA is one of the few upkeep ongoings that doesn't care if Cosmic is dealt the damage.

Requital with Completionist Guise is also a nice insurance plan. Requital plays cards, Guise copies that power, now Cosmic can either switch to base or XPW. Basically boost early then switch to a 'safer' Hugh. I personally like to just stay Requital and let chaos reign, but it's a pretty good strategy.    

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, switching to XPW after swarming the field as Requital is pretty powerful.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

The Burning Stickman

Another fun one (and yet another reason that Captain Cosmic and Mr. Fixer are best friends):

You can get an extra shot of Bloody Knuckles boosted damage by getting Augmented Ally into play first. Extra fun with multiple copies of Augmented Ally and Cosmic Weapon -- get in two or three extra shots before Bloody Knuckles destroys itself.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

There's also the old classic of Cosmic Weapon+Dual Crowbars=Cosmic Crowbars, and add in the card that gives Fixer two uses of his Strike power in one turn(the name escapes me at the moment), then you have a power-palooza of damage on your hands.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Overdrive.

Yeah, 3 power uses. Plus a bonus one at start of turn with Augmented Ally.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

The Burning Stickman

Yeah, I had just finished a game against Infinitor where Fixer just spent every round wrecking everything with Irreducible damage, Harmony and Jackhandle. Adding Dynamic Syphon to the mix meant any of Infinitor's "do everything 1 damage" one-shots ended up really meaning, "Destroy all the Manifestations."

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Anubis became my best friend today. Since he's immune to environment card damage, he can't hurt himself with Compulsion Canister. And Aggression Modulator is a card. So Sky-Scraper just spent her turns bouncing Canisters, and Anubis wrecked the Ennead for me. 

Also, Visionary with Wrest the Mind and Cocoon is a well-known one, but doing that on Trueshot is fun since she usually won't die if you just play cards and ignore her.  

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

This one feels obvious in hindsight, but it wasn't apparent natively so I thought I'd share.

If The SW Sentinels has Hippocratic Oath out, you can increase the amount of HP Dr. Medico will heal by having his damage target a member of The Sentinels or a Void Guard hero and get the "nemesis" bonus before the damage is nullified.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Yup, that's a solid tactic. I usually target Idealist for the damage on habit since she never really has amy kind of self-defense, thus i get more out of the heal...

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Dr. Medico isn't regularly punching his daughter to heal his teammates better, no! He's using his love for her to boost his healing abilities. That's totally what's going on there, uh-huh. :V

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I for one have always been a "healing shiv" sort of person. I just find the dissonance amusing.

But yeah, loading damage boosts on Medico, hitting Medico with Blackout, all very enjoyably amusing procedures.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

You forgot to mention Infecting Medico and let him go around biting heros.

This doesn't really count as an "Unexpected Combination", but if you use Caspit's Playground to turn Hippocratic Oath into an equipment, then Guise can borrow it while copying Scholar's Forms and turn into a Fountain of Eternal Youth until he maxes out his health.  If you use Scholar to keep his (and Scholar's) health down, you can turn it into an infinite loop.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Oh *word removed -Mod* that's really creative

-- Trajector

chrysaetoseagle

I hadn't considered it until this week's weekly challenge (P Spoopy), but Unhallowed Halls plus Twist the Ether is borderline abusive against villains who personally deal most of their damage.

And also that Guise can use Sell Out to play Barbarian, Blatant Reference, and Lemme See That to borrow Wraith's Targeting Computer to shoot for 5 damage every turn. If that doesn't take a chunk out of your target, nothing will.

bolnerap

I never thought about this until today, but now I won't be likely to forget it. I usually don't think twice about playing Wrecking Uppercut with KNYFE, but after watching Atum chain a card play into Set getting another card play during KNYFE's turn, I won't be doing that again any time soon...

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Also a good reason to carefully consider using Extrasensory Awareness against them. Unless you've set up their deck so that one of the "bring out another member" cards are on top.  

Powerhound_2000

If you’re playing Challenge Mode it doesn’t matter what’s on top at all.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

If you’re playing Challenge Mode it doesn’t matter what’s on top at all.  

Well, it does if what's on top is Ongoing/Equipment destruction. There's times I've found it worth it to discard the card and take the damage triggered from the symbol rather than lose a bunch of my set-up.
Powerhound_2000

Depending on which Ennead members are out you might still run into the Ongoing/Equipment Destruction anyways.  

hstein3
hstein3's picture

Not sure how I missed this one before, but Subzero Atmosphere has a strange effect on Deadline.

On his back side, he ends up starting his turn destroying his Catastrophe cards. Then he plays a card; if it's another Catastrophe, he can stay locked on this side for a long time.

Bright side is that it keeps the environment clear and you don't deal with the "catastrophic" effects. Whole lotta AOE damage, though.

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

A Matriarch game yesterday revealed to me that the Unforgiving Wasteland prevents destruction effects from triggering, because destroyed cards are removed from the game instead of being destroyed. I hadn't thought of that - I had assumed that they would be destroyed, and then be removed from the game instead of going to the trash. 

It means that the Skunk Ape is the ultimate anti-Matriarch weapon.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Except then she will start spamming Cacophonies, and no one wants that.

-- Trajector

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

McBehrer wrote:

Well, don't let the environment kill the Cohorts or Carrion Fields, then.  Removing the little birds won't make the rest of the cards any more frequent.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, that's fair, actually.

-- Trajector

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Dunno if it was mentioned yet, but XPW Fanatic + Setback’s Friendly Fire just came up in an Akash’Bhuta in the MDF game. Yes I would like to try to hit Setback for two damage after each Holy Nova hit, all getting redirected wherever I chose last round.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh damn! Now that's a combo I've never thought of! :D Probably because I never play Friendly Fire...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

McBehrer wrote:

She'll play them at the rate she always plays them, because Fowl cards always generate a new play.
Natediggadoggity

I also came across a cool combo today, Setback's wrong time and place (the one that redirects damage to him first, or remove tokens) plus Haka's punish the weak, with a rampage as card play. After he hits the villains, every one point of hero target damage gets redirected to Setback, and for each one token he removes, it's 3 damage to the lowest hp non hero target.

It was a huge help against Chokepoint in Atlantis, especially with Captain Cosmic and several manifestations in play. 9 hero targets (and tokens) became an extra 27 damage.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Oooo, that sounds good. And strangely appropriate story wise.

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

Setback and XTreme Prime Wardens Haka synergize really well together. I played Ultimate Spite with them and Scholar and utterly wiped the floor with him. Some highlights:

• High Risk Behavior is a very safe card now for Setback, as any massive damage Setback would be dealt gets redirected to Haka who loses the massive damage boost and shrugs off the pitiful damage (especially with Ta Moko and the 1 HP recovery).
  • Wrong Time and Place takes less of a cost on Setback, as any damage you would want to redirect from Setback can first get redirected to Haka, who reduces it by 1 with Ta Moko and any Haka of Shielding effects, and thus takes fewer tokens to redirect.
  • Friendly Fire is kinda inert since Setback now can't be dealt any damage... but on the other hand, with High Risk Behavior, any time Setback deals damage to Spite, he can choose to deal damage to himself, and remove tokens by Wrong Time and Place to deal more damage to Spite. If he deals a second instance of damage to Spite on his turn, he can Friendly Fire himself, redirect to Haka, and then remove the tokens to redirect it to Spite again!
  • On one hand, Haka's power phase gets a bit boring as he can't use Taiaha or Mere... but on the other hand, you won't notice it with all the damage Setback is doing thanks to XPW Haka.
Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

@LewdDolphin: You realize now you're required to reproduce that on the stream, right? ;)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Powerhound_2000

Jeysie wrote:

@LewdDolphin: You realize now you're required to reproduce that on the stream, right? ;)

+1

Pages