The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reverend Pete

McBehrer wrote:

Wait... How did you fill up on health? With Starshield? Because Master of Magic shouldn't trigger from "put into play" effects.

Mist-Fueled Recovery would work though, right?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Yes.  Although it wouldn't trigger Master of Magic either.  wink

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would assume through Mist Fueled Recovery coming up as one of the revealed cards. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah. Just making sure Master of Magic wasn't acting up.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

hstein3
hstein3's picture

Another good one I found:

Shooting Gallery (Madam Mittermeiers) and Hippocratic Oath. Make Dr. Medico the lowest HP hero and you get a nice round of healing out of it. Best part is that you can spread those heals out however you choose.

Another good card for The Sentinels in that environment is the fortune teller. Since their deck is almost entirely one shots, you can almost play one every turn. Not too shabby.

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

Natediggadoggity

Yes, with Starshield, and with Mist-Fueled recovery.

Natediggadoggity

I just realized today, that Prime Wardens Haka's power allows him to use Haka of Shielding to protect any target. So I can totally use him to protect the Dreamer so I can rampage the next turn.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Natediggadoggity wrote:
I just realized today, that Prime Wardens Haka's power allows him to use Haka of Shielding to protect any target. So I can totally use him to protect the Dreamer so I can rampage the next turn.
I've done that to help beat her on Challenge mode.  I discarded... a lot.  The only time I've really made use of Haka of Shielding.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Not sure if it's been said, but if it has I'll say it again anyway:

XPW Captain Cosmic and Unity's Hasty Augmentation. That is all.

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

I don't know that it's unexpected, but Captain Cosmic's Augmented Ally (discard a card at the start of your turn to use a power) and Unflagging Animation (at the start of your turn you may put a Construct from your trash into play) combo really well, letting you discard a Construct to immediately put it into play... provided you play them in the right order!

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Not sure if this has been brought up: 

Requital Cosmic and XPW Haka. If Haka has Ta-Moko, the drawback of Requital is nullified, (assuming nothing else alters the damage.)  In a similar way, XPW Argent and XPW Haka are great together. Haka shields anyone and Argent Yells at them. It's redirected to Haka. If he has Ta-Moko, he takes 1 damage, then regains 1 HP. So "free" play and power. 

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

hstein3
hstein3's picture

darkroydante wrote:

Not sure if this has been brought up: Requital Cosmic and XPW Haka. If Haka has Ta-Moko, the drawback of Requital is nullified, (assuming nothing else alters the damage.)  In a similar way, XPW Argent and XPW Haka are great together. Haka shields anyone and Argent Yells at them. It's redirected to Haka. If he has Ta-Moko, he takes 1 damage, then regains 1 HP. So "free" play and power. 

Well, who gets the play and power use? You have to take damage that way to get it.

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

hstein3 wrote:

darkroydante wrote:

Not sure if this has been brought up: Requital Cosmic and XPW Haka. If Haka has Ta-Moko, the drawback of Requital is nullified, (assuming nothing else alters the damage.)  In a similar way, XPW Argent and XPW Haka are great together. Haka shields anyone and Argent Yells at them. It's redirected to Haka. If he has Ta-Moko, he takes 1 damage, then regains 1 HP. So "free" play and power. 

Well, who gets the play and power use? You have to take damage that way to get it.

That raises an interesting question: what happens when you stack Haka's power?

If he stacks it on the same ally twice, only the first "copy" would redirect the damage, but would he be healed twice?  I'd suspect not, inferring that "whenever Haka is dealt damage this way" applies only to the damage dealt as a result of that particular "copy" of the ability.

But what if he used it on an ally and then used it on himself?  Oddly, it doesn't seem illegal to do so.  Per the ruling on Smoke Bombs (damage dealt to Wraith while she's the only hero target in play is reduced), it seems like he'd redirect the damage to himself, and since the damage was in fact redirected by both "copies" and he did take that damage, I'd think he'd be healed twice.

Guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks!

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

You cannot redirect damage being dealt to a target to itself. Using XPW Haka's power on himself doesn't do anything at all.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

aw :(

I mean, they'll call ya Jerk Haka, but you basically get free DR that way!

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

aw :(I mean, they'll call ya Jerk Haka, but you basically get free DR that way!

Yeah, it's too bad.... it would have made Enduring Intercession a good play if Haka could target himself.
Powerhound_2000

Dandolo wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:
aw :(I mean, they'll call ya Jerk Haka, but you basically get free DR that way!

Yeah, it's too bad.... it would have made Enduring Intercession a good play if Haka could target himself.

I really wish this variant had been made so any damage dealt to Haka which was redirected to him caused the health gain so Enduring Intercessiom turned into a card you're more likely to play.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I feel like "find a way to make Enduring Intercession useful" is one of this fandom's Holy Grails.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Powerhound_2000

Jeysie wrote:

I feel like "find a way to make Enduring Intercession useful" is one of this fandom's Holy Grails.

It can be useful but often isn't worth the trouble especially in the core game environments.  So I agree it is a Holy Grail of sorts and I certainly had hoped XPW Haka might have lead to finding that.  

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

Enduring Intercession + Ta Moko is really good in Temple of Zhu Long; the only things that can hit Haka are Shinobi Assassins entering play and Zhu Long's end of turn action.

Powerhound_2000

LewdDolphin21 wrote:

Enduring Intercession + Ta Moko is really good in Temple of Zhu Long; the only things that can hit Haka are Shinobi Assassins entering play and Zhu Long's end of turn action.

Yep that was one I would say it's worthwhile in.  Realm of Discord and Time Cataclysm aren't bad either with that setup.  

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

You cannot redirect damage being dealt to a target to itself. Using XPW Haka's power on himself doesn't do anything at all.

That's what I thought until I ran across the Smoke Bombs ruling.  Why does that one work, then?

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I don't make the decisions, but Smoke Bombs doesn't redirect from the Wraith to the Wraith it just reduces in that case.

Powerhound_2000

So this is a combo I ran into that can be potent.   XPW Fanatic and Setback with Friendly Fire out.   Every time Fanatic damages her target chosen from Kill the Spirit you'll get prompted to hit Setback which that damage will be redirected to your target again.  Now that massive Holy Nova hits for an extra two for each instance of damage laugh

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Haka gets the play and power, since he will take 1 damage through this method. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Hm. Guise borrowing Jackhandle and aping Thunderstruck, anyone?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I caught Dolphin's Dive this week and decided to play around with his setup taken to extremes: Citizen Dawn in Rook City vs. Greatest Legacy, Fugue State Parse, Santa Guise, Xtreme AA, and Ra.  And Dawn's starting setup was Citizens Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Truth, plus Return with the Dawn!

The team managed to take out Truth and Tears with their starting hands, but Dawn brought back Tears.  Naturally, they wiped out my hands and ongoings in a hurry, and dealt the team considerable damage, but they couldn't do anything about presents!  It took just one more round to fill Legacy's and Parse's tables up with a great selection of ongoings, not to mention Parse filling her hand back up again instantly.  Guise's presents turned out to be duds (although they'd have been a little better if I'd opened them in a different order), but Ra's contained enough firepower to wipe out Dawn from almost full to considerable overkill on Guise's fourth turn.  It was pretty nuts.

So yeah, my "unexpected combination" of the week was that presents are immune to nearly every type of destruction except for Apocalypse/End Of Days and a couple of others.

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

That makes me wonder, what 'field killer' cards are Captain Cosmics constructs immune to?

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

It's probably easier to list those cards that do effect them. AFAIK it's just Apocalypse/End of Days. 

Sapienta potentia est

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

And anything that does 4 damage to all targets =)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

But not energy damage. Sometimes.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

And anything that does 4 damage to all targets =)

Har har.

The Burning Stickman

Just realized the crystals in Magmaria are fair game to discard for boosts to the Hakas. Not exactly game breaking, but it does boost his nuke to even more insane heights.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Parse likes to discard them, too.  Especially Fugue State Parse to fuel Ember Shaman.  Assuming that works in the video game--it should, but I hear there are bugs related to this.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

MindWanderer wrote:

Parse likes to discard them, too.  Especially Fugue State Parse to fuel Ember Shaman.  Assuming that works in the video game--it should, but I hear there are bugs related to this.

I believe there is a bug related to Parse and discarding Magma Crystals currently.  

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Jeremy said something I had never considered before during a stream- I think it was last week's episode. I had always just considered Fugue State Parse's innate power needed her to to discard from her hand for the extra effect. But, Buffer Overflow's discard works just as well. I would also assume this is also true if she discards a card villain card with Extrasensory Awareness. Small thing- but still cool.      

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It still has to be during her turn, though, which isn't likely to happen unless you've got something like Pillars of Hercules in play.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Or Empower, or very likely Dynamic Syphon.  Something to keep in mind when playing those cards.

Submit your games here!

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

On the flip side...

Don't play against the Dreamer in Madame Mittermeier's! Unlike most environments, it has six cards that can cause character cards to damage themselves, which bypasses the ability to redirect environment damage from the Dreamer to heroes. And there are five more cards that play cards faster, which means that you've got a high chance of the Dreamer murdering herself. (It gets even worse on Challenge Mode, which is practically unwinnable.)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Oof, I didn't even THINK of that.

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Another bad villain/Environment combo:

Never take The Matriarch shopping.

If Surprise Shopping Trip shows up, you're SCREWED.

Each time a Fowl card enters play, each target is dealt one melee damage, including the bird. So it dies, and Matriarch deals retribution damage. And then she plays the top card of her deck. God help you if she plays Darken the Skies.

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

Infinitor can be just as bad at times with Surprise Shopping Trip while he and his manifestations don’t take any damage. 

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

Santa Guise is terrible with Surprise Shopping Trip. Using your power to put presents face-down makes for H instances of 1 melee damage to everyone. Flipping everyone's presents is also costly, since each card is treated as if it just entered play, and thus re-triggers Surprise Shopping Trip.

Powerhound_2000

LewdDolphin21 wrote:

Santa Guise is terrible with Surprise Shopping Trip. Using your power to put presents face-down makes for H instances of 1 melee damage to everyone. Flipping everyone's presents is also costly, since each card is treated as if it just entered play, and thus re-triggers Surprise Shopping Trip.

It could be great if you have a Ground Pound, Enduring Intercession and Ta Moko, or Human Shield and using Block, or Heroic Interception and Danger Sense.  

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Or just be lazy and play a Mega Computer. Aka, the winner of "Best card I never play until I remember how good it is." It isn't quite as good as those other options, but it's easily searched, and it sticks around just in case. 

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

If you have hero DR, then both Surprise Shopping Trip and Negative Energy Field can be fun ways to wear down the villains.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Burning Stickman

Seriously, Surprise Shopping Trip and basically everything in Dok'Thorath have seriously changed my priorities when it comes to the Wraith. I used to go straight for Razor Ordinance and Infrared Eye Piece, but now I find myself more and more often working to get Megacomputers out ASAP.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

One I my favorite combinations is 3 Mega Computers with Jack Handle and Riveting Crane. Heroes can ignore the Environment but the pesky villains can't!

Melkhor

With requital Captain Cosmic now with us, I just realised how he's absolutely and bar none Guise's Best Friend Ever!

I Can Do That, Too! is flat-out amazing when Requital Cosmic is around. Play the top 3 cards of my deck in any order? Why, thank you very much sir! Reckless manipulation of cosmic energy has never been more fun or rewarding! :)

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Melkhor wrote:

With requital Captain Cosmic now with us, I just realised how he's absolutely and bar none Guise's Best Friend Ever!I Can Do That, Too! is flat-out amazing when Requital Cosmic is around. Play the top 3 cards of my deck in any order? Why, thank you very much sir! Reckless manipulation of cosmic energy has never been more fun or rewarding! :)

And Oddly enough, Requital Cosmic is often the best Representative of Earth when playing in Celestial Tribunal.

Pages