The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spirit Island promos at gencon?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
grim88
Spirit Island promos at gencon?

I'm not going to GenCon, but a friend is. 

Does anyone know if we'll be able to purchase the two Spirit Island spirit promos? I know that GtG usually allow you to 'win' promos by trying demos, etc, but since I won't be there I was hoping they might have some straight up for sale.

Thanks

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

They will be! They'll be available in our booth (#1343) and demo room (#134) for $9.95 for the set of 2 promo spirits.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

The promos also come with purchases of the base game from GtG there.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

True facts! :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

NinjaMonkey

So if we already have the base game from the kickstarter we already have the promos?

Also, personally as an unabashed completionist, GenCon exclusive promos kinda rub me the wrong way. It is an event I can never see myself going to simply because of location, family (a non-gamer wife, 3 kids and a mortgage), and work. Missing out on promos due to being a responsible adult kinda irks me. However, I don't begrudge anyone that gets their hands on them.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

NinjaMonkey wrote:

So if we already have the base game from the kickstarter we already have the promos?

You should have Serpent and Wildfire if you backed the KS.

Also, >G doesn't have "Gen Con Exclusive" promos. Their promos are avaliable at all conventions and events they attend. If you can never make it to "any" convention, I feel ya. Lots of us are in the same boat. I havn't been to PAX East in a few years now due to budget and time constraints. I'm super lucky that the new PAX Unplugged is in my hometown, but not everyone lives in major metropolitan areas.

Find a friend here on the forums who goes to conventions that you can't get to. See if someone would be willing to pick up promos and mail them to you. It's been done before around here! There is always a way if you just believe in the power of love. And the USPS.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Yes, the promos that came with the Kickstarter are the same as the promos available at Gen Con.

And Greater than Games doesn't generally do exclusive promos of any sort: they tend to make promos available in multiple ways for people that can't get them one way or another. Witness these promos, available both from Kickstarter and at conventions.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also, the nature of these promos (spirit panels and unique power cards) is that they will never be shuffled in with other things. Images will be available on BoardGameGeek (as soon as they approve the entry), so you can print them out (or scribble them on a napkin) and it'll work just fine.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

NinjaMonkey wrote:

You should have Serpent and Wildfire if you backed the KS.Also, >G doesn't have "Gen Con Exclusive" promos. Their promos are avaliable at all conventions and events they attend. If you can never make it to "any" convention, I feel ya. Lots of us are in the same boat. I havn't been to PAX East in a few years now due to budget and time constraints. I'm super lucky that the new PAX Unplugged is in my hometown, but not everyone lives in major metropolitan areas.Find a friend here on the forums who goes to conventions that you can't get to. See if someone would be willing to pick up promos and mail them to you. It's been done before around here! There is always a way if you just believe in the power of love. And the USPS.

Damn. I was in your neck of the woods for a job interview back in July; wish I'd been able to arrange you heading down to see me. (I had no car of my own for that trip.)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yeah, the promos printed for SotM you can stff in a sleeve with a card, or print from any number of custom playing card sites and do well, but for spirit island, that's tough.  Those panels are really nice, and reproducing something that is passable for a game night isn't going to be simple.

Not that I am complaining, there are plenty of opportunities, especially if you are a part of this forum community.  Just post a request and I guarantee someone will be willing to purchase them for you.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

phantaskippy wrote:
Just post a request and I guarantee someone will be willing to purchase them for you.

If someone can't do it for Gencon (or people miss this post in time for Gencon), I will totally do it for anyone who needs one at PAX.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

phantaskippy wrote:
 Those panels are really nice, and reproducing something that is passable for a game night isn't going to be simple.

Print out the images, glue them on to a piece of foam core. It won't have the same weight as the cardboard does, but it should be a fair match for sturdiness and thickness.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
phantaskippy wrote:
 Those panels are really nice, and reproducing something that is passable for a game night isn't going to be simple.

Print out the images, glue them on to a piece of foam core. It won't have the same weight as the cardboard does, but it should be a fair match for sturdiness and thickness.

Greyboard works nicely, and is pretty much what punched out game pieces are usually made of. You might find it under Bristol board, book board, or chipboard (note to fellow U.K. people, what we call chipboard is bits of wood glued together and formed into a thick-ish sheet, and it's not what you want at all).

You'll find free bits of it stiffening the backs of notepads you already have, most likely. Or if you're feeling extra adventurous you can glue two bits of cereal box card together, printed side against printed side - not as thick as punched tokens but perfectly fine for boards.

And I recommend printing onto sticker paper for best results. Much easier, quicker and cleaner than glue. A very light coat of clear acrylic spray (cheapest from places that sell car accessories) is great to protect the ink if you feel a bit fancy.

Source: have DIYed a fair amount of boards and tokens in my time.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The panels are rather thicker than two bits of cereal box cardboard - probably more like 4, going by feel alone.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Quote:

The panels are rather thicker than two bits of cereal box cardboard - probably more like 4, going by feel alone.

Since they aren't going to be shuffled and don't need to exactly match the existing panels, I might well have gone for the cheap cereal box option if I needed these. The best thing about it (apart from being free and getting to recycle something that would otherwise be thrown away) is that you don't need anything more than a decent pair of scissors to cut it. Many other options require some kind of blade, a metal rule, a cutting mat, and a small but significant amount of skill with said equipment.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Status update: Just heard from Paul. They have a few hundred of the promo packs left, which are currently available via the >G online store - apparently the numbers aren't large enough to also put them on the BGG store too.

They are also setting up a reprint of the promo pack(*), as large as the original run (though it should last rather longer, as there won't be a whole mess automatically pre-allocated to Kickstarter backers). That will most likely arrive sometime around February. The hope is to also put them on the BGG store when those arrive.

(*) = alongside the reprint of Branch & Claw, which just sold out at the distributor level.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Eric R wrote:

Status update: Just heard from Paul. They have a few hundred of the promo packs left, which are currently available via the >G online store - apparently the numbers aren't large enough to also put them on the BGG store too.

They are also setting up a reprint of the promo pack(*), as large as the original run (though it should last rather longer, as there won't be a whole mess automatically pre-allocated to Kickstarter backers). That will most likely arrive sometime around February. The hope is to also put them on the BGG store when those arrive.

(*) = alongside the reprint of Branch & Claw, which just sold out at the distributor level.

WOOT WOOT!