The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Repeating powers with Shadows Flicker like Flame.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester
Repeating powers with Shadows Flicker like Flame.

If Shadows Flicker like Flame uses Insatiable Hunger of the Swarm, paying extra to target land with Dahan, and meets the threshold to repeat in an adjacet land, can you instead choose to repeat in a land with Dahan?  Would you repay the cost, or does the initial payment affect the repeat as well?

We decided that the repeat is a seperate use and so you could apply shadows of the Dahan as long as you paid for it.  

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Nope - from the Repeat section:

"If a Repeat specifies where to use it, obey those instructions (instead of the normal Range and Target restrictions)."

and Insatiable Hunger of the Swarm explicitly says "an adjacent land". (Thematically, the swarm is moving.) So you ignore normal Range/Targeting.

But if it were The Land Thrashes In Furious PainWinds of Rust and Atrophy, which simply says "Repeat this Power", then you'd choose your target again from scratch and could choose to use Shadows of the Dahan - no need to pay Energy; Shadows of the Dahan is a modification to the Power (specifically, its Range), which is kept when the Power is Repeated.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I don't have my cards with me for reference, but I thought that Land Thrashes also repeated on an adjacent land.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
I don't have my cards with me for reference, but I thought that Land Thrashes also repeated on an adjacent land.
Yes, The Land Thrashes in Furious Pain also repeats on an adjacent land.

I think maybe Winds of Rust and Atrophy is the power Eric was looking for. Powerstorm would serve the same purpose.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Whoops! Sorry, my bad; I was working from memory and misrecalled. Thanks for the catch, and for the alternate suggestion.