The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question about Energy Timing

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture
Question about Energy Timing

So, this just came up while I am playing my first 2 spirit solo game.

I goofed and Ocean doesn't have the energy to pay for both the cards I want to play this turn, however, River is going to be playing a card to give Ocean energy this turn. As I can determine the order and both things are fast, I can gain the energy before I activate the card.

My question, is that a legal move? Can you play a card you cannot afford if you will gain the energy to use it before the card activates? And, if you do play such a card, but something happens and you cannot gain the energy, what happens?

My understanding is that you have to assign the energy when you play the cards, but is this incorrect?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Chaosmancer wrote:
My question, is that a legal move? Can you play a card you cannot afford if you will gain the energy to use it before the card activates?
No, you cannot. You pay for cards during the Spirit Phase. The Spirit Phase needs to be entirely completed before the Fast Powers Phase starts; that Fast Phase is when River would be gifting you the energy. (So generally gifts of Energy will only be useful on the following turn, unless you need to pay Energy in the middle of the turn for one reason or another.)
Quote:
And, if you do play such a card, but something happens and you cannot gain the energy, what happens?
This is exactly why it's not allowed...

I added a FAQ. Thanks for the question--I'd seen this issue before, but forgot to make a FAQ entry.

carnilius
Playtester

The targetting of a land occurs when the power is actually used, however, so for example you need not have the energy to pay for targetting a land with Dahan with Shadow's special power until you use the power (somewhere in the slow or fast power phase).  Correct?

carnilius
Playtester

Another question -- when do you need to pay the energy cost of Serpent's last innate power?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:
The targetting of a land occurs when the power is actually used, however, so for example you need not have the energy to pay for targetting a land with Dahan with Shadow's special power until you use the power (somewhere in the slow or fast power phase).  Correct?
Correct, that's one of the examples when you need Energy mid-turn.

carnilius wrote:
Another question -- when do you need to pay the energy cost of Serpent's last innate power?
When you use the power. That's another example.

Other examples inculde the major power Powerstorm and Call on Midnight's Dreams (Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares).

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

dpt wrote:

Chaosmancer wrote:
My question, is that a legal move? Can you play a card you cannot afford if you will gain the energy to use it before the card activates?

No, you cannot. You pay for cards during the Spirit Phase. The Spirit Phase needs to be entirely completed before the Fast Powers Phase starts; that Fast Phase is when River would be gifting you the energy. (So generally gifts of Energy will only be useful on the following turn, unless you need to pay Energy in the middle of the turn for one reason or another.)

Quote:
And, if you do play such a card, but something happens and you cannot gain the energy, what happens?

This is exactly why it's not allowed... I added a FAQ. Thanks for the question--I'd seen this issue before, but forgot to make a FAQ entry.

Okay, I figured that made the most sense, but man I hoped I was wrong.

Ah well, I can still do things this turn, it was just a far better turn for the future if I could do more.