The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

In praise of Spirit Island's flavor

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
In praise of Spirit Island's flavor

I wanted to take a moment to admire the fact that even though none of the cards have flavor text (which is a real shame, but there's just no room*) pretty much every card portays it's flavor so perfectly that they don't need any text to accompany them.  The art, the evocative titles, and the rules text fill in all the gaps.  When Lightning is Shattering Homesteads, it's clear what's going on.  When Fangs Preys on the Builders, it's perfectly clear why it's preventing builds.  When the Invaders start looking for Scapegoats, or the Island suffers a Year of Little Rain we don't even need art to tie the effects to the flavor.  That is really cool.

* Also, I'm pretty sure that the flavor text on at least half the cards would be variations of "Ach, Hans, run!  It's the ____" and "Aiieee!"

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Not to mention "Not those damn weasels again! RIGHT, come on Heinrich, we're moving!"

I agree that kiddos are certainly in order, it's fantastically done.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Why would you wish them to have children? Wont that leave less time for making more awesome stuff?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

I agree that kiddos are certainly in order, it's fantastically done.

This game might become very popular but I don't believe it will lead to a baby boom. smiley

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

So now I'm imagining wll kinds of mid-game Spirit Island pick-up lines, and none are family friendly.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Hey, it comes up mid-game anyways if you're tired enough. I was asking a friend's fiance for a Sun, eating people as the Serpent.

People can really jump to the wrong conclusions when they are tired enough.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

So now I'm imagining wll kinds of mid-game Spirit Island pick-up lines, and none are family friendly.

Now I'm just saying Sprit names to myself in this light...
speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Got more people who like this game. Played it twice withanother new group and they loved it. One of them even sat and started to read all the rules and the cards. Just sharing thier praise.
Thunder speaker running around with it's militia murdering the invaders. Always wanted to gather troop to be on the offense.
Or lighting bird making everything quick actions. Speeds the game and changes strategy.
Excelent theming.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star