The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Events without the Blight Card

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture
Events without the Blight Card

So, I haven't played a game with any of the Blight cards yet. The vast majority of my games to date have been solo affairs and having 2 blight before a card flips and terrible things happen hasn't appealed to me yet because I'm still trying to dig into the spirits I don't fully understand yet.

However, I have been playing with events (because I love those tokens soooo much) and quite a few of those cards have a choice between healthy island events or blighted island events.

I have been assuming that if you play without a blight card, that the island is considered healthy. Is this true? Or, is the island assumed Blighted for these cards.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

The game doesn't assume either; it tells you that the Event Deck requires a Blight Card, for just that reason. :-)

If you really don't want to, pretend you have (or mock up) a Blight Card like this:

• FRONT: 2 Blight/player. (Same as all the others.)
  • BACK: 3 Blight/player. (No other effects.)

Both printed 3-Blight-per-player Blight cards are mixed, with mild downsides for both the Spirits and the Invaders that roughly balance each other out gameplay-wise but convey the feel of "well, this is bad for everyone". A 3-per-player, no-effect card loses the thematic feel, but should be entirely balanced (except for the fact that you know what your Blight card is... which is a useful tidbit of information, but not any different than when playing without a Blight Card).

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

In case you haven't looked at them, the Blight cards from the expansion are a mix of positive and negative effects, an opposed to the base game, where the effects are always negative.

I encourage you to try out the Blight cards. They're not that bad.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Eric R wrote:

The game doesn't assume either; it tells you that the Event Deck requires a Blight Card, for just that reason. :-)

One of many things I've missed so far.

I know some of the Blight cards aren't too terrible, but no matter what they will change the game part-way through (unless I absolutely crush the oppisition and allow almost no blight to occur). I'm in a weird place right now where, for some spirits I'd be comfortable enough for that change to be easy to keep track of, but I'm mostly still testing out different spirits and adding another rule change on top of learning a spirit just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I might adopt the blank blight card idea though, just so I can properly play the event deck while still getting a feel for the other spirits.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Once you are no longer having trouble remembering to do the different steps in each turn is when I would add the blight cards, I, like you, was apprehensive about adding lots of things, but the blight cards aren't bad, or hard to remember, a good number just do something when they flip.

I'd encourage you to read through them, pick some that sound good to you and then pick one of them randomly.