The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Cast Down Into the Briny Deep

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Cast Down Into the Briny Deep

I was looking through the expansion (I'm not going to start playing it yet, but I wanted to see the cards), and I found Cast Down Into the Briny Deep.  Does it really do what I think it does?  Because it looks like it reads "If you meet this threshold, remove 1/4 of the island (or more!) from the game."

I don't know what I expected from the most expensive power card in the game, but that is seriously badass.  Although I do have to wonder how some of the spirits (Spread of Rampant Green comes to mind) would achieve such a thing.)

Also, how does this power work with Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares?

Finally, what happens if you drown the entire island?  Does that count as a sacrificial victory?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My favorite card in the game. It does exactly what you think it does.

Most spirits can't hit that elemental threshold without ignoring everything else and just trying to get powers with the right elements. I've had a 3-player game where I sank two of the boards. That was fun. I don't remember if I was playing Ocean or Serpent. Probably never happen again.

Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares can't destroy anything except for its own presence. So, you would destroy all of your presence on that board and "destroy" all of the invaders, generating a ton of fear and pushing explorers and towns around. The island board remains. The wording on the card has changed slightly since I asked this question, but I believe all of the blight would remain in place, since you can't destroy that either.

I think this card is the entire reason for the note on the lower-left corner of page 12 of the base game rulebook. I'm not sure we ever came up with another way that it could happen.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

grysqrl wrote:
I think this card is the entire reason for the note on the lower-left corner of page 12 of the base game rulebook. I'm not sure we ever came up with another way that it could happen.

Oh, I took that to mean that you had to complete all the effects on the power card before the game was declared over.  Since there are plenty of cards that deal damage but also cause blight, which could trigger victory and loss conditions on the same card.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That's totally true. This is what I get for answering questions when I should be sleeping.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

It's an awesome card! Also my favorite. I think I've triggered that effect maybe twice?

It's especially good when Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares uses it. You generate lots and lots of fear, and everything is in place for you to trigger it again.

Like with many Major Powers, it is going to be difficult for some spirits to trigger the threshhold effects. But there are ways to manage; for instance, Elemental Boon is one good one.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The one time I got to use it, it was the game winner. 

I _love_ that card. laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

I was looking through the expansion (I'm not going to start playing it yet, but I wanted to see the cards), and I found Cast Down Into the Briny Deep.  Does it really do what I think it does?  Because it looks like it reads "If you meet this threshold, remove 1/4 of the island (or more!) from the game."

I don't know what I expected from the most expensive power card in the game, but that is seriously badass...

One of the reasons I didn't highlight Cast Down into the Briny Deep during the Kickstarter was so more people would get this moment of, "Wait. Really? REALLY!?!" when first reading it. I've had the pleasure of witnessing that reaction in-person a number of times, and it's always lovely. :-)

(Relatedly, reading this thread made me smile. :-)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Eric R wrote:

(Relatedly, reading this thread made me smile. :-)

A well-deserved smile, at that!!! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

cnranger

Eric R wrote:

"Wait. Really? REALLY!?!" 

That was our reaction as well! 

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I see now that I should be reading more cards. I've kind of just let power cards be revealed as I draw them but now I really need to see this thing and read what it does.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Chaosmancer wrote:

I've kind of just let power cards be revealed as I draw them but now I really need to see this thing and read what it does.

However you like. :-) This one can be just as much fun - even more, perhaps - to discover mid-game... though hitting its threshold tends to require some planning and setup, so the first time you see the card may not be the first time you get to use its full effect.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Eric R wrote:
... though hitting its threshold tends to require some planning and setup, so the first time you see the card may not be the first time you get to use its full effect.
Worth emphasizing its base effect is also pretty awesome.
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Eric R wrote:

... just as much fun - even more, perhaps - to discover mid-game... 

I rather enjoy this mid-game discovery. I've played a dozen times or so, but mostly with the power progression, so in last nights game to draw a card that allows me to use blight as a weapon? Awesome!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I just decided to browse the expansion & see whether there was anything that might reasonably be added for a group that's 1-3 in plays without any adversaries/scenarios yet. I think my favorite discovery was the fast power called something like "Unlock the Gates of Power."

cnranger

I played a Serpent last night in a two player game and was able to use Cast Down into the Briny Deeps with the elemental threshold. Let's just say that its still awesome to pull it off even if you already knew what it could do in theory.

When the invaders woke up to find that half the island was suddenly gone they did not stay around much longer.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

cnranger wrote:

I played a Serpent last night in a two player game and was able to use Cast Down into the Briny Deeps with the elemental threshold. Let's just say that its still awesome to pull it off even if you already knew what it could do in theory. 

:) :) :)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

If you dink the entire island, is it a draw?  Because there are no invaders but also no presence, so it is a win and loss.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

If you dink the entire island, is it a draw?  Because there are no invaders but also no presence, so it is a win and loss.

That is a Sacrifice Victory, yes. (FAQ)
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Although the rulebook describes a sacrifice victory as "You are destroyed, but the island, the Dahan, and many other Spirits survive", which doesn't seem quite accurate when you've drowned the entire island.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My thought was that the end result of drowning the whole islad was Ocean's Hungry Grasp is finally full and goes off to take a nap.

fjur
fjur's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

My thought was that the end result of drowning the whole islad was Ocean's Hungry Grasp is finally full and goes off to take a nap. 

XD

This space was intentionally left blank.