The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Apportioning defense

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Apportioning defense

We thought there was some ambiguity about this in the rules:

During Ravage, the Invaders attack the land and then attack the Dahan.

Let's say I use a power that defends 2.

1. Do I get to defend 2 against the attack on the land, then defend 2 against the attack on the Dahan? (I.e. does the defense reduce the power of the attack?)

2. If no, must I use all the defense on one of the two attacks? Can I assign some blocking points to the land and some to the Dahan?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

1 is correct. Defend is against all invader damage that turn.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

It is not really correct to say that the Invaders attack the land and then attack the Dahan.  The invaders deal damage once, but that damage affects both the land and the Dahan simultaneously.

It's mostly a semantic difference, but considering ravages in this manner makes things like defense a lot clearer.  Defend protects both the land and the Dahan because there is only one instance of damage to be reduced.  And Vital Strength's sacred sites will protect the Dahan even if the ravage causes blight to destroy your sacred site, because the damage to the Dahan was dealt (and defended against) is the same damage that blighted the island.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

See the FAQ at http://is.gd/sifaq under 'Ravage' for pointers to some more discussion.

The simultaneous vs sequential distinction does make a difference if the damage to the land would destroy a Sacred Site from Vital Strength of Earth. I don't know of other examples yet.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Thanks for the clarification!

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

It is not really correct to say that the Invaders attack the land and then attack the Dahan.  

This is where we got into trouble, because that's almost exactly how the rulebook phrased it! Attack the land, attack the Dahan. So we weren't sure if we were putting a Sentinels "-1 damage dealt" token on the Invaders or if we were gaining a Tactics blocking die to reduce a single point of the total damage.

dpt wrote:
I don't know of other examples yet.

Well, it sure matters to the number of Dahan that survive.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Yup - Defend is phrased slightly ambiguously, and somewhere along the line the Ravage section lost the word "simultaneously", which combine to make it somewhat unclear how things work. I'm keeping the searchable FAQ updated.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Eric, it's amazing that you're maintaining a FAQ like that right from the get-go. Thanks! It'll be my first stop for questions from now on.

torian
Playtester

Eric R wrote:

Yup - Defend is phrased slightly ambiguously, and somewhere along the line the Ravage section lost the word "simultaneously", which combine to make it somewhat unclear how things work. I'm keeping the searchable FAQ updated.

There should probably be a thread with a link to that searchable FAQ stickied to this section of the forums.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

torian wrote:
 There should probably be a thread with a link to that searchable FAQ stickied to this section of the forums.
Absolutely. Here's the thread Eric posted on BGG for reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1813253/living-faq-errata