The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Absorb Essence and Entwined Power

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Absorb Essence and Entwined Power

What happens if you use Entwined Power to gift Absorb Essence to a different spirit?

I have no idea why you would want to do such a thing, but nonetheless, what happens when that spirit tries to play it?

EDIT:  Also, what about Ocean's power cards that drown Invaders?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Those are *excellent* questions!

What happens if you use Entwined Power to gift Absorb Essence to a different spirit?

You follow as much of the instructions as you can:

• Gain 3 Energy - you can do this, so you do.
  • Move 1 of target Spirit's Presence to your "Deep Slumber" track - you can't do this, because you don't have a Deep Slumber track.
  • Absorbed Presence cannot be returned to play - you didn't Absorb any, so this is irrelevant.*
  • Target Spirit gains Any Element and 1 Energy - you can do this, so you do.

So the net effect is "Gain 3 Energy. Target Spirit gains Any Element and 1 Energy."

* = The term "Absorbed Presence" isn't formally defined anywhere, but everybody understands what it means.

Also, what about Ocean's power cards that drown Invaders?

Ocean's Special Rules define what "Drown" means: "Destroy Drowned pieces, placing Drowned Invaders here [on Ocean's playmat]." So if another player Drowns an Invader, it goes onto Ocean's playmat as usual.

It is, however, ambiguous whether it's Ocean or the other Spirit which actually performs the destruction, which while rarely relevant has the potential to be (eg, if the other Spirit is Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares). I'll need to think on that, but I suspect it's the Power-using Spirit which performs the Destruction. (And that the last sentence of "Ocean in Play" ought to be reworded as "You Drown any Invaders or [Dahan] moved to those Oceans." to make it clear that it's Ocean who's doing the Drowning in those cases.)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I just wanted to say, yay corner cases!

I guess that's also what would happen with Absorb Presence if your track were full.