The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spirit's Mechanical Specialties

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Spirit's Mechanical Specialties

I've been thinking about the mechanical specialties for the Spirits, and something is bothering me.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Vital Strength of the Earth - Defending
Thunderspeaker - Dahan
Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves - Beasts
Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds - Wilds
Lightning's Swift Strike - Fast Powers & Invader Destruction
Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island - Other Spirits
Heart of the Wildfire - Blight
Ocean's Hungry Grasp - Oceans/Coasts
Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares - Fear
A Spread of Rampant Green - Growth/Presence
River Surges in Sunlight - Pushing

But Shadows Flicker Like Flame doesn't seem to have it's own unique specialty.  I likes fear, but not as much as Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares does, and it likes Dahan but not as much as Thunderspeaker does (and Dreamer also likes Dahan)

On the other hand, I haven't actually had the chance to play the game much.  Are my assesments accurate?  What is it that makes Shadows Flicker Like Flames special?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Shadows Flicker Like Flame is a fear machine. All of its unique power cards generate fear. Higher levels of its innate power generate fear. It doesn't generate quite as much as Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares (especially in the late game, I've found), but it also doesn't have the limitation of not being able to damage/destroy the Invaders. Its innate power makes it pretty decent at dealing with explorers, pulling them out of lands before they build, but it isn't so strong against towns and cities. So, I would say that Shadows is largely about fear whereas Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares is exclusively about fear.

Comments on other spirits on your list:

• Lightning's Swift Strike is really about building destruction. Raging Storm is good against clumps of explorers, but it doesn't really have any other ways to deal with them - most of its kit is about towns and cities.
  • Heart of the Wildfire is about damage. Blight is a necessary side-effect, and it has limited ways to manage it, but I wouldn't say that blight is its focus.
  • A Spread of Rampant Green is about slowing the invaders down. It is defensive in a different way than Vital Strength of the Earth is, expanding rapidly but then sacrificing itself to hamper the Invaders (vs Earth's direct Defense).
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Some additions to what grysqrl said:

• Shadows Flicker Like Flame is also about utility/control. Its ability to target any land with Dahan on the board can be extremely useful, if you remember to save up the Energy. And don't underestimate its ability to manipulate the invaders.
  • Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island is also about slow growth. Early on it will be helping other spirits, but when it fully rouses in anger... Other Spirits are also slow growing, but it is the most extreme.
Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

[...]Its ability to target any land with Dahan on the board can be extremely useful, if you remember to save up the Energy.[...]

I would say this is Shadow's mechanical specialty. The 0 range powers tend to have a high strength to cost ratio, and the ability to use these from across the board is huge.

I also think it's important to add that any spirit (with the exceptions of Bringer and Ocean) can eventually fill any role if you pick the right power cards. Don't get too caught up in sticking to your starting role.