The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Trajector wrote:

I discovered the other day that you can use Into the Stratosphere to move a card from underneath Savage Mana to the top of the Villain deck.

I'm not sure *why* that might be useful, but there you go. My first thought was to use the same technique to un-charge Mad Bomber Blade, but his rules say cards under him have no type.

I could see it being useful if, say, an Infra-Red Eyepiece turned up two Devastating Auroras and you needed to put something else on top of Citizen Dawn's deck to buy some breathing room.
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Or just generally as a stalling technique if there isn't anything on the board to bounce.  You can pick something harmless from under Savage Mana and be promised a safe-ish turn.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Blackfang108
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

I discovered the other day that you can use Into the Stratosphere to move a card from underneath Savage Mana to the top of the Villain deck.

I'm not sure *why* that might be useful, but there you go. My first thought was to use the same technique to un-charge Mad Bomber Blade, but his rules say cards under him have no type.

Reminds me of using Whoops, Sorry! to destroy a card under Chokepoint or La Capitan.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

It could also be useful if you want to release some of what's under Savage Mana but not all of it, e.g. the Chairman's Underbosses but not his Thugs, to get him to flip.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Now that's a salient point!

Granted, you could always just not put them under SM in the first place, but some Hakas...

Blackfang108
Playtester

Or in Final Wasteland.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Turns out, Chiquito can steal villain cards.

I was so shocked when I saw this, I sent in a bug report, but John confirmed it's working as intended.

You use a card like Fumbling Fool and hit choose for me; if the first deck is a villain, their discard will be stolen by the monkey! I imagine it'll work with Gimmicky Character, Wrecking Uppercut, Extrasensory Awareness and anything else that's similar.

I think the reason it was so unexpected is I've come to interpret "a player discards a card" to mean "a hero card is discarded". I mean, when you discard from hand, both of those are true, but when you use any of those above cards, you, the player, are also causing a card to be discarded, just from the villain deck.

I'm not sure there's any useful interaction here (I guess you could delay Friction getting an extra Surge?), as it just means La Capitan taking less damage, but worth noting regardless.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:
I think the reason it was so unexpected is I've come to interpret "a player discards a card" to mean "a hero card is discarded". I mean, when you discard from hand, both of those are true, but when you use any of those above cards, you, the player, are also causing a card to be discarded, just from the villain deck.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I can't test in the app yet), but wouldn't that also mean that when a villain or environment causes a discard from a hero player's hand, it would not go under Chiquito?  As long as the card is phrased "discard a card" and not "hero discards a card"?

Sidenote: The first time I played La Capitan's team game was in Madame Mittermeier's, and I think I played Carousel of Horror wrong.  It was basically game over the way we played it, which was to put all the discarded hero cards under Chiquito.

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I can't test in the app yet), but wouldn't that also mean that when a villain or environment causes a discard from a hero player's hand, it would not go under Chiquito?  As long as the card is phrased "discard a card" and not "hero discards a card"?

I don't think "discard a card" ever shows up as a command save for on hero cards. The environment or villain is going to say "Each player discards a card" or "A player whose hero took damage this way discards a card". The player is forced to discard by the non-hero card, but they're still doing the discarding. And that's why Chiquito won't steal cards off the top of your deck when you're forced to discard that way.

Yoshi348

That's correct. Not only that, but Chiquito only takes one card per turn, rather than one card per hero per turn, so that ended up being doubly wrong.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Here's a fun one:  If Plague Rat uses Chemical Frenzy ("Plague Rat deals each target 1 toxic damage. Any target dealt damage that way deals itself 1 melee damage.") when Greazer is around, then Plague Rat will attack the Perfect Pompadour, causing Greazer to punch him.  Then, the Pompadour will punch itself, causing Greazer to punch his hair, causing him to punch himself.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Greazer is great to have out alongside Plague Rat, Sgt. Steel, Friction or anyone else who does team damage. :D Arsonist plus Mega Gunner (minus Espionagent <.<) equals look out!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yoshi348 wrote:
That's correct. Not only that, but Chiquito only takes one card per turn, rather than one card per hero per turn, so that ended up being doubly wrong.
You know, I'm still not clear on the "The first time an X does Y each turn" language.  In some cases, like Provocator Tarnis, it triggers once per turn period, no matter how many X's there are.  In others, like Wrong Time and Place, it triggers once per X per turn.  I haven't figured out what language makes the difference between the two behaviors.

Submit your games here!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

They're exactly the same language. It's just up to Christopher which one is which. It really bugs me that he won't clean up his wording. "It's technically correct." Yeah, that doesn't mean it's not ambiguous as hell! "I'm an English major. I'd know." Like you're the only one! I'm a Communications major!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Given a choice I'm sure Setback would like Wrong Time and Place worked like Provocator Tarnis.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

carnilius
Playtester

I was surprised to find that Glamour triggers on every X, not just once per turn.

Blackfang108
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

I was surprised to find that Glamour triggers on every X, not just once per turn.

So was I.

XtremeGuardian

I thought this one was pretty funny so I thought I would share:

My team was near death in a villains game against Bugbear, Fright Train, Sgt Steel, Biomancer and La Capitan in the Court of Blood. Each of the villains were greater than 20 HP. Fixer, Expat, Tempest, AZ and Bunker were each under 5 health and the court of blood had a single vampire out. The environment played Infecting an Heir resulting in the vampire bringing Fixer down to a single HP. I thought the game would end right there, but I luckily had Jack Handle out! Instead of doing 2 damage to each target, Fixer ended up doing ~15 instances of 4 damage to each villain target (~60 points of damage!!) and completely cleared the field for a win at the last second!

It is an odd combo to set up, but WOW can it have fixer decimate the villain field. I can only imagine the result if we had damage boosts on the field. With Legacy and Twist the Ether, it could have climbed to as much as 15-20 instances of damage at 7 damage per shot for as much a 140 points of damage to a single target in a round, out of turn!

Roger the Alien

Slaughterhouse Six Ambuscades Pitfall card says "Play this card in the Hero play area with the fewest Snare cards. Whenever that Hero's player draws a card, each target in this play area deals itself 2 melee damage. Then, destroy this card."

I am not a native english speaker therefore others probably had no problem with the text but I had the impression that whenever is related to a sequence whereas the wording "when" would mean a single card draw. Mr. Fixer had his Crowbars on the field and I skipped his play and power phase to let him draw 2 cards because I thought he wold be able to deal him and another target 2 times damage.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Roger the Alien wrote:

Slaughterhouse Six Ambuscades Pitfall card says "Play this card in the Hero play area with the fewest Snare cards. Whenever that Hero's player draws a card, each target in this play area deals itself 2 melee damage. Then, destroy this card."I am not a native english speaker therefore others probably had no problem with the text but I had the impression that whenever is related to a sequence whereas the wording "when" would mean a single card draw. Mr. Fixer had his Crowbars on the field and I skipped his play and power phase to let him draw 2 cards because I thought he wold be able to deal him and another target 2 times damage.

Well, yeah, by my reading it would trigger on each draw, but you'd need Fixed Point to test it because it'll get destroyed after the first one.

Submit your games here!

XtremeGuardian

MindWanderer wrote:

Roger the Alien wrote:
Slaughterhouse Six Ambuscades Pitfall card says "Play this card in the Hero play area with the fewest Snare cards. Whenever that Hero's player draws a card, each target in this play area deals itself 2 melee damage. Then, destroy this card."I am not a native english speaker therefore others probably had no problem with the text but I had the impression that whenever is related to a sequence whereas the wording "when" would mean a single card draw. Mr. Fixer had his Crowbars on the field and I skipped his play and power phase to let him draw 2 cards because I thought he wold be able to deal him and another target 2 times damage.

Well, yeah, by my reading it would trigger on each draw, but you'd need Fixed Point to test it because it'll get destroyed after the first one.

This ^. The card destroys itself after the first draw and thus the second draw would not trigger any damage. Fixed Point would be needed for what you are describing.

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Blackfang108 wrote:

carnilius wrote:

So was I.

It's once per turn per Nemesis, is the problem. So if you have (to pick a completely random, wasn't-at-all-encountered-by-a-lot-of-people example) Glamour and Ray Manta in play, the first attack against each of them will rebound. If you attacked Glam twice, the second attack would go through, but the first hit against Glam doesn't mean the first hit against Ray goes through.

The Burning Stickman

Glamour isn't so bad if you have someone capable of attacking multiple times in a round (Chrono Ranger, Ra, KNYFE) or anyone who can destroy without causing damage (AA, Fanatic, Naturalist). I think once I comboed one into another -- PW Fanatic used Smite the Transgressor to eat up the redirect, smacked her with Absolution, then used her base power to let Naturalist eat her.

She's a pain, but there's ways around her.

carnilius
Playtester

scifantasy wrote:

Blackfang108 wrote:
 carnilius wrote:

So was I.

It's once per turn per Nemesis, is the problem. So if you have (to pick a completely random, wasn't-at-all-encountered-by-a-lot-of-people example) Glamour and Ray Manta in play, the first attack against each of them will rebound. If you attacked Glam twice, the second attack would go through, but the first hit against Glam doesn't mean the first hit against Ray goes through.

Yes, this is what I meant by every X, whereas the same wording on other cards only applies to the first X.  Which is why I was surprised it worked that way.

Powerhound_2000

It has similar wording to Wrong Time and Place so this interaction did not surprise me. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

carnilius
Playtester

Glamour wrote:

The first time a Nemesis card would be dealt damage by a Hero target each turn, redirect that damage to the Hero target with the highest HP.

Chiquito wrote:

The first time a player discards a card each turn, place it under this card.

The way these are phrased is identical, whereas, as implemented, Glamour works for every Nemesis and yet Chiquito only works on the first player.

The Burning Stickman

The word "each" would clear so much up.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Each vs Any would be a very simple, unambiguous, comprehensive solution.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Compare it also to something like Destructive Response. I want to be able to deal damage every time a Construct is blown up, darn it! :| Just without the option of bringing it back into play for a double-dip, you know, that one's already had its turn.

Roger the Alien

Hi

Thermobaric Mine of Greazer: "When this card enters play, put it in the play area of the player with the most cards in play. Then, this card deals each hero target in this play area 1 fire damage. Whenever a card enters this play area, this card deals each Hero target in this play area 1 fire damage."

"Enters this play area" doesn't include one-shots correct?

I thought EACH card enters the play area but the mine didn't activate, thematically it makes sense. 

Does the mine also activates if ongoings and equipments are played beside targets, i. e. all cards which stay in the play area?

PS. The wiki is missing some text for Electroshackles, whoy should be contacted?

https://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Greazer_Clutch

Powerhound_2000

One-shots do not enter a play area.   There are very odd interations that can occur if one-shots were considered to be in a play area.   Also, you might refresh the Greazer page.  

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

You can edit the wiki yourself!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

One shots do enter play, though. Just not into a play area. Right?

Powerhound_2000

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

One shots do enter play, though. Just not into a play area. Right?

Unless I'm reading my prior post wrong that's what I wrote.   One-shots can trigger a card like Surprise Shopping Trip but will not trigger Thermobaric Mine.  

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It amazed me when I first saw that happen. I beat Greazer a whole lot while triggering Mines via One-Shots!

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

I remember being real surprised to learn that, even though Ambuscade's Slaughterhouse Six stay in play when he's defeated, they aren't listed as villains that you need to beat to win, the way that Omnitron's devices are. You can wipe out the other villains, and then I guess the Slaughterhouse Six go home for the day?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

FrivYeti wrote:

I remember being real surprised to learn that, even though Ambuscade's Slaughterhouse Six stay in play when he's defeated, they aren't listed as villains that you need to beat to win, the way that Omnitron's devices are. You can wipe out the other villains, and then I guess the Slaughterhouse Six go home for the day?

If the heroes had beat all the big guns and it was just me left... I sure would! wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Blackfang108
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

FrivYeti wrote:

If the heroes had beat all the big guns and it was just me left... I sure would! wink

The better to come back another day when the odds are more favorable.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Glamour's sitting there like "You better not hit us! Just you try it!" and the heroes walk away, like, "Okay, we won't."

DMAN222

Just found out that in the Realm of Discord, if a distortion comes into play, it will destroy Visionary's decoy projection, because it has a keyword of "Distortion". I would totally have screwed that up in the physical version.

I'm nerdy in the extreme/ Whiter than sour cream/ I was in AV club and Glee club/ and even the Chess team - Weird Al, White 'n Nerdy

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I was so mad the first time I saw that happen. XD

I got one for you: Exploit Vulnerability + Surprise Shopping Trip

Watch those minions be taken out solely by the act of them entering play! :D

carnilius
Playtester

Sergeant Steel in The Block was interesting, as all of his targets are Agents, so they are hurt by inmates and helped by other agents in the Block.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

When playing against La Capitan, Freedom Six Tempest can use Sacrifice to get one of his stolen cards back!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Trajector wrote:

When playing against La Capitan, Freedom Six Tempest can use Sacrifice to get one of his stolen cards back!

Yep!  Whoops, Sorry! works to, and Chokepoint can also be dealt with this way.

Powerhound_2000

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Trajector wrote:

Yep!  Whoops, Sorry! works to, and Chokepoint can also be dealt with this way.

Once flipped though for Chokepoint.  It doesn't work on her intial side

The Burning Stickman

If Greazer's contract goes on a character who has another Nemesis in play, Greazer also counts as that villain's nemesis -- so if he's after Setback, Plague Rat hits him even harder. It's in theory a neat way to get them to whack each other, but in practice it's meant Setback goes down fast.

bolnerap

hoo boy, every time I play in MMFFCC, I learn something new about Maze of Mirrors. I just had a fun matchup with a team that included FS Parse, Santa Guise, and Nightmist. Maze of Mirrors came out, and the shenanigans were flying.

Parse had Updated Intel in play, and Santa Guise kept copying it. Every time I played a card, I got to spy on two decks, which made Parse's base power, Santa Guise's power, and Nightmist's love of deck stacking very, very happy.

-

Also, in not necessarily "unexpected" combinations, but a fun one I ran across - Sky-Scraper loves seeing Mega Gunner get his ability activated twice so she can drop a net 12 damage (or more) Compulsion Canister.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Incidental Contact + Wrong Time and Place with enough tokens.  Hit a target MANY times.  Each redirect allows you to hit the new target twice.  Used this on Gloomweaver to deal 36 damage to him in one go. (6 per hero and 6 for Gloomy himself, using Conduit Blade and Null Amplifier)

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Natediggadoggity

I won a game in Madame Mittermeier's against Infinitor by abusing All-Seeing Alzrabar WHILE Nightmist was in mist form. SInce Alzrabar just reveals a card, and then puts it into play, It let Nightmist go from below 5 hp to almost full as she played one shot after one shot, finally taking out Infinitor. Young Legs, Ra, and Wraith took care of the rest of the environment and gave Nightmist enough card draw so she could discard almost every turn and stay in Mist Form.

Story wise, I imagine Nightmist in mist form kinda floating around and investigating this weird fortune telling machine, kinda ignoring Infinitor, while he wrecks the place with manifestations and the carnival fights back.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Wait... How did you fill up on health? With Starshield? Because Master of Magic shouldn't trigger from "put into play" effects.

-- Trajector

Pages