The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Can Anvil deal damage after he is incapacitated?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Can Anvil deal damage after he is incapacitated?

The card HAMMER & SHIELD includes:

... CITIZEN ANVIL DEALS THE HERO TARGET WITH THE HIGHEST HP 2 MELEE DAMAGE.

If Anvil is incapacitated, does he still deal this damage?

For comparision, consider the card GOOD HERO - BAD HERO from The Sentinels, which includes:

IF MAINSTAY IS ACTIVE, HE MAY DEAL 1 TARGET 3 MELEE DAMAGE.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

He shouldn't be able to deal damage.  Any affects that reference one of them which is incapped should be skipped.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

The same thing happens with The Chairman if you eliminate The Chairman before The Operative and Undivided Attention comes out.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bluedarky wrote:

The same thing happens with The Chairman if you eliminate The Chairman before The Operative and Undivided Attention comes out.

Indeed

Undivided Attention:

IF THE OPERATIVE IS ACTIVE, SHE DEALS THE HERO WITH THE HIGHEST HP 4 MELEE DAMAGE.

THE CHAIRMAN DEALS THE HERO WITH THE HIGHEST HP 3 MELEE DAMAGE.

This seems to be evidence that The Chairman can deal damage even when incapacitated. Perhaps the same is true of Anvil.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

We know from the video game if the Chairman is destroyed he can't deal damage from Undivided Attention.  Hammer and Anvil should probably have wording about being active to clarify but if they are incapped they can't do actions associated with them on a card.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

I'm picturing Adam throwing Christopher's limp body at the heroes as melee damage.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Nothing that's incapacitated or otherwise destroyed can do damage, unless that damage is the direct result of the process of it being destroyed (as with Sonic Mine).

If you kill, say, the Genebound Frosthound before it's hit every hero target, it stops dealing damage.

Same reason you don't see any hero Incap abilities that say, "You do one target X damage." It's always, "One hero target can do X damage," or "one villain target does X damage to itself."

Blackfang108
Playtester

Killswitch wrote:

I'm picturing Adam throwing Christopher's limp body at the heroes as melee damage.

Wouldn't throwing the body make it Projectile damage?
Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

The only thing that can deal damage without a target as the source is the environment itself. Something that's not a target cannot deal damage.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

And the first printing of Horrid Cacophony cheeky

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

We know from the video game if the Chairman is destroyed he can't deal damage from Undivided Attention.  Hammer and Anvil should probably have wording about being active to clarify but if they are incapped they can't do actions associated with them on a card.  

Ah ... hadn't taken the time to test it in the video game.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

The only thing that can deal damage without a target as the source is the environment itself. Something that's not a target cannot deal damage.

Woo hoo! It's like throwback Thursday around here, what with the getting answers directly from Christopher and whatnot!

Thanks.