The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Setback Strategy Guide

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester
Setback Strategy Guide

Hi, guys!  As Setback is my favorite hero, I joined the wiki and created a Setback Strategy Guide for him.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.  A lot of the strategies from the Setback Strategies thread are there.  If I missed anything, let me know!

http://sotm.wikidot.com/setback-strategies

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Very thorough, Donner.  I like the fact that you addressed good hero, villain, and environment combinations with Setback.

He's the only Vengeance hero I haven't gotten to play yet, so I'll be interested in seeing what comes up!

Thanks for this!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I think you really undervalue Friendly Fire. But generally a pretty good write-up! Strong work

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I think you are right, Foote, and I think part of that is my play-style.  I should add a note about it in the wiki.

*Edit - Changed info on Friendly Fire to cover careful and all-out strategies.

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

Excellent work! Setback is a fun character concept that I've been trying to grapple with mechanically, so I'm very glad to see a guide for him. :)

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I fell in love with Setback the other day and read your guide to see what else I could do. I haven't played him as a tank yet, so seeing those combos was nice.

A couple you missed.
Silver lining, looking up and high risk behavior x2. You get massive token generation and massive damage. When you get to that point where you are going to die, you play cause and effect and come back with great health and no tokens for the villain to hit you with, after dealing crazy damage.

Setback loves visionary. Twist the ether reduces his self damage while boosting his other damage, something he loves. And mental divergence is amazing with dps setback. Getting to risk silver lining back twice makes setback a happy camper. And all her manipulation cards allows him to judge when to go all out or when to spend his tokens.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Humble-Knight wrote:

I fell in love with Setback the other day and read your guide to see what else I could do. I haven't played him as a tank yet, so seeing those combos was nice.

A couple you missed.
Silver lining, looking up and high risk behavior x2. You get massive token generation and massive damage. When you get to that point where you are going to die, you play cause and effect and come back with great health and no tokens for the villain to hit you with, after dealing crazy damage.

Setback loves visionary. Twist the ether reduces his self damage while boosting his other damage, something he loves. And mental divergence is amazing with dps setback. Getting to risk silver lining back twice makes setback a happy camper. And all her manipulation cards allows him to judge when to go all out or when to spend his tokens.

Excellent!  I shall try and remember to add all this to the wiki page.  Thanks, Humble-Knight!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I missed a couple more things about visionary. Her base powers help setback to better control himself, whether by giving him more options for his plays or to set up a risk. Mental divergence also allows her to destroy an obnoxious wrong time and place.

And you don't just have to cause and effect to discharge those extra tokens on the dps combo, I used ambuscade's reactive plating to set off silver lining and then hit myself with friendly fire to rebuild my token pool

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Updated with the new info.  Thanks again, Humble-Knight!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

This guide is at http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Setback_Strategy now since the one on the older wiki is no longer available.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

This guide is at http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Setback_Strategy now since the one on the older wiki is no longer available.  

Thanks for the update, Powerhound!

Kratos13

I thought I read about Setback's Wrong Time Wrong Place combo with Cause and Effect to do X damage twice against a target where X = number of tokens (redirect the X self damage to a target with Wrong Time Wrong Place).  I just tried this in the video game and the redirect caused 0 damage instead of X.  Is this because Wrong Time Wrong Place reduces X to 0 (in the middle of Cause and Effect)?

Powerhound_2000

Yes that is expected behavior.  The unlucky Tokens get removed to redirect the damage and the damage is based on the unlucky Tokens.  So since all the tokens are gone the base damage on the second hit is zero.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Base damage gets changed in the middle of an effect like that? There are other cases of this, right?

Powerhound_2000

Plenty.   X is variable.  Scorched Earth is one from the base game that easily can change midway in use.  

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Lightning Barrage too. Hit yourself first if you have a Synaptic Interuption up. Although, I prefer to do that with Sonic Vortex to double up on one target while still hitting the same number of targets as before. Although that doesn't change the base damag which is what this is talking about.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Kratos13

Thanks for the responses.  I can accept this behaviour, but for the sake of (interesting?) discussion can I ask whether this represents a paradox?  If the redirect damage is zero then why were X tokens removed instead of 0 tokens?  Like a time paradox where you travel back in time and kill yourself. But in doing so, how are you able to time travel in the first place?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Because X is not 0 at the point you are redirecting it, it becomes 0 after you choose to remove the tokens.

And Ducks, Ducks are time travellers, it's why their quacks don't echo, becauses they are harnessing the power of the echo to time travel.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!