The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Primewars

135 posts / 0 new
Last post
uu
uu's picture
Primewars

Hey everuone. I was just wondering about the prime war status. I preordered the profit one and been waiting. Since the change happen i had to wait long. I still love this game so much i just kinda want to expand what i have already.so if theres any official word on it status weither its in play testing if its in playtesting how far is it? And if 2018 is going to be the release time.

Also what will prime wars and the other expansion (im assuming theres another small one since there was a big and small expasion in the original preorder) include character wise.

Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

This announcement has the information you are looking for.

It is being worked on, but I can't give you official word on anything as to planned release date.  There's a lot of work left to do.

From waht I am aware, the main box will contain the characters you see in the art through that link, and the smaller box expansion will have The Ennead.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

the smaller box expansion will have The Ennead.

And maybe Akash? She was supposed to be bundled into the Broken City/For Profit package, but I have not heard or seen anything about it for Prime War. I mean, having Akash in that expansion theme makes way more sense, but Idk if she has been scrapped along with the previous expansion or not.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I through Akash was meant to be a standalone expansion not bundled with Broken City/For Profit

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I through Akash was meant to be a standalone expansion not bundled with Broken City/For Profit

That's correct

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Rabit wrote:
Powerhound_2000 wrote:

That's correct

I meant that it was coming bundled with the preorder of BrokenCity/For Profit.

Powerhound_2000

I don't believe that was the case.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't believe so, either. Here are the news items I could find: 1 & 2

I believe they were doing initial design on her at around the same time as the pre-order, but I don't think anything was announced. I might have missed it, though. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Rabit wrote:

I don't believe so, either. Here are the news items I could find: 1 & 2. I believe they were doing initial design on her at around the same time as the pre-order, but I don't think anything was announced. I might have missed it, though. 

its likely the case I just misremember it since it's been so long

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

She definitely would fit the new box, being the reason the Wardens were assembled in the first place, but at this point there is a lot up in the air.

morph147

Foote wrote:

Rabit wrote:
I don't believe so, either. Here are the news items I could find: 1 & 2. I believe they were doing initial design on her at around the same time as the pre-order, but I don't think anything was announced. I might have missed it, though. 

its likely the case I just misremember it since it's been so long

Ya i recall she was going to be a mini expansion by herself because of all the moving parts they wanted to do with her. I would love some kinda of update on prime war though soon. Its been a few months since the last yes this is alive and we are working on it and this is what is going on update.... aka, Christopher and Paul this is me politely asking for an update. 

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I wouldn't expect one for a little bit.  The last few steps of OblivAeon are a huge deal, and he needs to do a few things to help the SoEP kickstarter.  It is being worked on, but kind of around him, not through him at the moment.  If that makes sense.

morph147

phantaskippy wrote:

I wouldn't expect one for a little bit.  The last few steps of OblivAeon are a huge deal, and he needs to do a few things to help the SoEP kickstarter.  It is being worked on, but kind of around him, not through him at the moment.  If that makes sense.

ya I figured but worth a try

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

fenianb

I've been holding off on making 'what's happening?" posts myself, trying to be patient. I think the pre-order folks have for the most part shown extraordinary restraint so far with little news on progress. I know there are many other irons in the fire for the company because I hear a lot about those projects. An occasional taste would be nice.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm excited because the Prime Wardens are my fave SotM team, Sky-Scraper is also awesome, and the cover art is both cool and raises some questions so I want to see more art/bios.

Mostly the 180 costume changes of Argent and Cosmic. Argent's gone from fussily ornate and spandex-y to something rather practical and workmanlike (and also ditched his instruments for a songbook), while Cosmic's gone from Cheerfully Dignified Space Dad to Really Pissed Off and Scary Space Dad. Also apparently Tempest liked the look of their XTREME double.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Now that you mention that, I'm wondering if that might be Xtreme Tempest -- like if that version of M'kk got stuck here during the fight with OblivAeon.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

from what's known of the Xtream Prime Wardens, they all left the regular SotM reality. So unless they came back to fight OblivAeon and we had another unfortunate casulty in that fight, I think that's still our Tempest.

uu
uu's picture

Maybe the real tempest died in the oblivion event the the extreme tempest is taking his place

Ralph Waldo Emerson

CodieH
CodieH's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

I mean it would make the most sense to bring out Akash with this wave since she brought the Prime Wardens together the first time .... *coughs*

"Quintessential Tactics Experience: Arguing Over Range" - Worlds Tournament 2015

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I agree.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

morph147

Christopher wrote:

I agree.

ooooooooooooooooo this sounds something interesting.

I will agree though knowing more about where Prime War stands would be nice. It has been almost 2 years since I backed it.

waedens
Playtester

I have to admit that I was disappointed that it wasn't even mentioned in the May update. I know it has been worked on just would love to see a mention of it. Perhaps it can be worked in as an alternatr combat system for thr RPG.

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

Mechanically, the combat system for Tactics and the RPG are different enough, and thematically, they are two separate timelines, so I doubt there is any likelihood of that.

I know that >G really wants Prime War to succeed, and once Oblivaeon is done, there will be nothing else in the way. As part of a team that really likes the game, we're excited about the way that development is currently going, and we're eagerly anticipating the launch of Prime War and the subsequent competitive season. However, also as a fan, i'm measurably more interested in having Prime War, and the Tactics product line continue past this edition, and in order for that to happen, it needs to be excellent, rather than fast. >G may have pulled the trigger a bit early on announcing the expansion, but there is a genuine interest in delivering a good product, and to have a competitive scene and good story that lasts into the future.

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

RySmith6 wrote:

>G may have pulled the trigger a bit early on announcing the expansion, but there is a genuine interest in delivering a good product, and to have a competitive scene and good story that lasts into the future.

To be completely fair, had they not announced it, there'd likely be the exact same questions and discussion, just sub Broken City for Prime War.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but >G will likely announce more when they have something to announce. Unfortunately, there's a few people who have been burnt by the delays and the process; Christopher wants to make sure to do right by those people, even if it doesn't always feel that way.

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

bobbertoriley wrote:

RySmith6 wrote:
>G may have pulled the trigger a bit early on announcing the expansion, but there is a genuine interest in delivering a good product, and to have a competitive scene and good story that lasts into the future.

To be completely fair, had they not announced it, there'd likely be the exact same questions and discussion, just sub Broken City for Prime War.

I meant BC. announcing it less than six months after the release of the first core game release. Although it was the catalyst for my game group to try the game, it was still probably a little too quick of a turnaround, considering the relatively unknown competitive scene.

fenianb

I asked in comments section in the April update if there was any news. Paul responded "Not yet. We'll have more info about that after OblivAeon is completely to the printer and off our plate." So just keep holding your breath I guess, they'll tell us when they tell us.

morph147

True I would love a progress at least so we know it's been getting some attention and not just the baby that's been put in the corner for 2 years

fenianb

morph147 wrote:

True I would love a progress at least so we know it's been getting some attention and not just the baby that's been put in the corner for 2 years

Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

godzilla999666

lets be realistic, with the current track record of the company since we had the preorder way back in Feb 2015, once oblievean is done, then it will e the rpg, and then new sentinels of earth prime, another kickstarter designed and delivered before this game.  The question is not when they deliver but if at the end of 5 years and we finally get it, if the "here a little something for sticking with us" is worth the interest of the so far 3 year intrest free loan. If this pre-ordered had been done through kickstarter, it would of been worse for greater than games, by it being a pre-order, most people have forgotten they have ordered this, where on kickstarter, you see everything you have bqcked and people would see how long it has been and the complete and utter lack of news of any substanial sort.  at this point, listen to letters, they put more effect into that than this game cause you get more info on the timeline so you will know who all is alive in this game.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

godzilla999666 wrote:

once oblievean is done, then it will e the rpg, and then new sentinels of earth prime, another kickstarter designed and delivered before this game.  

This is not an accurate assumption.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@godzilla999666

We definitely don't want to hang on to anyone's money if they have lost confidence in Prime War! We are more than happy to give you a refund if you would like one.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Can you confirm that Prime War will be the next thing out of the gate after OblivAeon since people have already paid for it?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Right, we know Sentinels of Earth-Prime is next, but that's just Christopher designing the cards.  No one from >G is helping out with the art, the printing, and as far as we know, the playtesting (though I bet they do some of their own playtesting on their own time).  However, it does sound like the RPG is next.  I'd bet that they work on Prime War after that, while they wait to see if it's worth doing an expansion for the RPG.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

As far as I know, the RPG is primarily being tested by the design team and their playtesters. That may change once the Starter Set is out, but from my perspective, there is nothing on the >G playtester's plate after OBV except for Prime War(as Green Ronin is Publishing SoEP, I'm assuming they will likewise have their own playtesters on that product). I personally think that Prime War is getting all of the attention it can at the moment, and have full faith that it will get the focus it needs and be Greater Than most people's expectations in due course.

As someone who loves the Tactics game and storyline, I have nothing but excitement and eagerness to have Prime War come to fruition. I can tell you that my team and I have been pouring all of the love we have for the game into playtesting and giving feedback, and although we are only a drop in the bucket(compared to OBV), Prime War is not falling by the wayside.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

RySmith6 wrote:

I can tell you that my team and I have been pouring all of the love we have for the game into playtesting and giving feedback, and although we are only a drop in the bucket(compared to OBV), Prime War is not falling by the wayside.

The fact that some passionate playtesters are spending attention on it doesn't mean it hasn't fallen by the wayside.  It's obvious it has fallen by the wayside, and rightfully so given GtG's other urgent priority (OblivAeon).  But if Tactics isn't going to be the next thing out the door at GtG, then I think I will take Paul up on his refund offer (as soon as I can figure out how to do that...).  I gave GtG $163.73 back on Jan 19, 2015 for Broken City, For Profit, and the painted minis.  If fulfilling that two-year-old order isn't their very next priority after OblivAeon, then I need my money back.  I've been patient enough.

fenianb

I'm hard pressed to disagree with Spiff. We've received little information about products already paid for while I have lots of emails from >G about other products coming along, being developed, printed, sold. I understand from Rysmith6's post that playtesters have been testing play and giving feedback. But have there been changes and adjustments in response to this feedback? Where's it at in development? I feel partially that regardless of the amount of playtesting done, that without little official news or updates from >G there may have been little actual work done on the products since we were told they were scrapping the original concepts over a year ago.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

fenianb wrote:

I understand from Rysmith6's post that playtesters have been testing play and giving feedback. But have there been changes and adjustments in response to this feedback?

Yes. Quite a lot. Iterations and version numbers were coming out at a pretty furious pace before the PT forum had to buckle down for the all-hands-on-deck OblivAeon stuff starting flying at a much higher clip.

We all keep saying this, and you all are free to keep not believing us, but work has been done and will continue to be done. Any more than that I can't talk about. But thats the truth, plain and simple.

fenianb

Foote wrote:

Yes. Quite a lot. Iterations and version numbers were coming out at a pretty furious pace before the PT forum had to buckle down for the all-hands-on-deck OblivAeon stuff starting flying at a much higher clip.We all keep saying this, and you all are free to keep not believing us, but work has been done and will continue to be done. Any more than that I can't talk about. But thats the truth, plain and simple.

Your response regarding iterations and versions makes me much more sanguine, thank you.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

The problem is that Tactics is stuck in a single long development cycle. Lots of progress can be made, but it's all incremental. There is no good way to describe the progress that has been made, and it's difficult to estimate how close it is to completion. All you can do is periodically assure people that work is continuing, because there won't be any evidence to show for it until the end.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000

This is starting to read like Duke Nukem Forever. Which seemed like it was always being developed.  Hopefully a better outcome at the end though. 

fenianb

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The problem is that Tactics is stuck in a single long development cycle. Lots of progress can be made, but it's all incremental. There is no good way to describe the progress that has been made, and it's difficult to estimate how close it is to completion. All you can do is periodically assure people that work is continuing, because there won't be any evidence to show for it until the end.

Periodic assurances from company staff have been the thing that has been missing.

Blackfang108
Playtester

fenianb wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Periodic assurances from company staff have been the thing that has been missing.

Kind of like waiting for Doors of Stone.  Only we've actually had at least some updates regarding Primewars.

XtremeGuardian

I guess the major difference is that for other projects we have gotten a chance to see art, read about rules and rule changes, glimpse mechanics and receive a general understanding of the state of the project. Since I backed the original Tactics pre-order, we have received little info outside of the initial launch information and the blog post explaining the complete scrapping of the original game for the new Prime Wars.

I don't think any of us doubt they are working on it, but we have received no information or indication of progress on the project outside of playtesters promising us they are working on it. From the outside looking in, this game appears to be a low priority for >G and a project that looks to be unlikely to finish this year due to the impending launch of the RPG, time spent finishing deck design for Earth Prime, and of course the massive hurdle of launching OblivAeon. 

We have literally seen more about the RPG (system, art, character design, expected lore) than we have for Prime War...

Powerhound_2000

XtremeGuardian wrote:

We have literally seen more about the RPG (system, art, character design, expected lore) than we have for Prime War...

Well the RPG was announced in May of 2015 and Prime War was announced in August of 2016.  So the RPG has had a longer period of time to have information released. Prime War, however, has a stigma of being the replacement for Broken City which was set for preorder in January of 2015.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Also, the more they provide art glimpses now, the more likely they are to run out before the big sales push right before the game is released.

And the rules changes are in flux until testing is complete, so of course it's difficult to say anything about them.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Blackfang108
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

XtremeGuardian wrote:

Well the RPG was announced in May of 2015 and Prime War was announced in August of 2016.  So the RPG has had a longer period of time to have information released. Prime War, however, has a stigma of being the replacement for Broken City which was set for preorder in January of 2015.  

I repeat my earlier statement.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Right now, we are focusing on OblivAeon development in-house, plus doing project management (and graphic design via Jenn and Ray) for the RPG while Prime War playtesting percolates. Once OblivAeon is to the printer, we'll work on Prime War development in house while doing project management, graphic design, and editing on the RPG to get ready for the KS for that post-OblivAeon delivery.

That having been said, if anyone would like a Prime War refund, I'm more than happy to do that! Shoot me an email at paul@greaterthangames.com and I'll take care of you. Just as a heads up, I'll be a bit slow to respond until 9 June due to ACD Games Day and UK Games Expo.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Thanks, Paul.  I sent you an email asking for a refund.

uu
uu's picture

I feel kinda bad now. I meant this post to see if there was new information not get people riled up. I am sorry for that>g

Ralph Waldo Emerson

morph147

uu wrote:

I feel kinda bad now. I meant this post to see if there was new information not get people riled up. I am sorry for that>g

your fine uu. There's a lot of people who want info on this and the lack of what is going on is frustrating for them. Myself included. I am just going to give it time but a blog post of what has been done since last gen con to explain the challenges would be great, and something I recall Christopher promising a couple months back

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Thanks Paul for the offer of refund I will be taking you up on it.

Pages