The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Regular Skype meetups

420 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mezike
Mezike's picture

Hi all, another GMT based gamer here. I'd be interested in having a tilt at an onlime meetup, although my availability would most likely put me between 9pm and 11pm GMT.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Cool, same here - GMT evenings are probably best for me :). I'm on Skype if you want to add me.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Fentum

Hello all,

I picked up SOTM a couple of weeks back and have posted four session reports on BGG. I'd be very interested in a Vassal game. I play a few war games that way and it works well. Haven't seen SOTM on Vassal yet, but I'll take a look.

I am on GMT zone with a job and kids!!! 

Regards,

Fentum

Fentum

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Fentum wrote:

I am on GMT zone with a job and kids!!!

You and me both!

What say you, me and Ameena try to set something up for around 9pm one night next week? (except Wednesday though, which is club night)

Fentum

I'd be up for that. Are we talking Vassal? Vassal plus Skype works well for  board games. I am trying to download the module now. The most challenging part of Vassal is getting the modules to download in the right place.

Fentum

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Yep, that would work for me. I've no bloody clue how to work either bit of software but hey, what is life without the occasional challenge? Just creating a Skype account now and then I'll install Vassal.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Well, I've got Skype working. The marvels of modern technology eh?

There appear to be somewhere in the region of two thousand Fentums in the search though, do you want to drop us a pm with your Skype so we can add you?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

A note on Vassal -- the publicly available Vassal module for SotM only has five heroes, two villains, and two environments.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, Mezike has gone to bed now but the two of us just had a lengthy and enjoyable chat on Skype about Sentinels in general :). That vassal thing doesn't sound like it'd be massively useful, since apparently it's only got non-Enhanced Edition Core stuff. I'm happy just keeping track of stuff in my own way, really, and with text chat it'll be even easier :). Me and Mezike are probably gonna try a game over Skype at some point, just the two of us if we can't find a third player. Should be fun! :)

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Six heroes, and yes it is limited in that way specifically at >G request (I did not make it, see here if you're interested in talking to the person who did).

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Fentum

Ameena wrote:

Well, Mezike has gone to bed now but the two of us just had a lengthy and enjoyable chat on Skype about Sentinels in general :). That vassal thing doesn't sound like it'd be massively useful, since apparently it's only got non-Enhanced Edition Core stuff. I'm happy just keeping track of stuff in my own way, really, and with text chat it'll be even easier :). Me and Mezike are probably gonna try a game over Skype at some point, just the two of us if we can't find a third player. Should be fun! :)

I'd be up for it at GMT friendly timings like 8pm onwards.

I'll need to figure out what my Skype address is!

i set up Vassal. Looks great for solo play, but a bit difficult for mp due to limited screen size. War games tend to just have the one map. It's a cracking implementation though. 

Would love to see The Wraith in Vassal...

Fentum

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Skype uses your e-mail address. It's also possible to search for someone by their Skype name. If you check your profile settings it should list both of these somewhere so you can find out what they are :).

Personally I just plan on using actual cards for playing Sentinels online. Well, I'd have somehow laid out the deck of whichever hero I was playing, then the decks of other active heroes (plus the villain and environment) nearby in case I needed to check any specifics on their cards. Otherwise, I'd just keep a list open in Word or something with hp totals and whichever cards were currently in play in the decks that weren't mine. Vassal doesn't sound too good given that it doesn't even use the H-mechanic as it's pre-Enhanced Edition ;). Still, presumably you could use it to at least see the names of active cards. At least, if you were playing with decks that Vassal used ;).

Anyway, I suppose we can just meet up on Skype at some point and plan this stuff. And then play games and hopefully kick some arse :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I would love to be part of a Skype game, but I'm only available on weekends, and so if you want to do a weekend game, I'd be up for that. My time zone is about 9 hours ahead of GMT

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nielzabub wrote:

I would love to be part of a Skype game, but I'm only available on weekends, and so if you want to do a weekend game, I'd be up for that. My time zone is about 9 hours ahead of GMT

GMT+9, eh? Japan, perhaps?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Correct.  Nielzabub teaches English to students in Japan!  I, in fact, came up with his handle once-upon-a-time.

It's almost like we know each other or something. XD

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I'm thinking either 9pm GMT tonight or tomorrow night for a game. Probably without Vassal; as nice as it is it won't match what we may want to play with.

As much as I think voice is the best way to go as it means I can focus my attention on the decks rather than reading and typing, I don't have a separate mic (only a combination headset with a single jack and separate sockets on the PC). Unless that is I can skype from an Android device which would actually be best as I would then have more freedom in where I set up. For this first one at least it will probably be text based.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'd love to join for that game today (It'd be about 3:00 PM for me) but I think I'm going to be busy all day today. 

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

No probs, I'm not 100% sure if I will be online at that time yet myself, but I will log on to see who is around as and when I can!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, I'll be around this evening. It's 6pm now. I'll probably be going AFK some time between 7-8ish to have food, but will be back after that until I decide to go to bed (usually between eleven and midnight).

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

As a fellow GMT'er I could go for some Sentinel style action tonight

Mezike
Mezike's picture

So, anyone up for a game then?

At the moment I am set up for Skype chat, don't think I can get voice sorted out tonight.

edit: I am in Skype chat with Ameena so if anyone wants to join us just let me know, otherwise I guess we'll get started in 10 mins or so smiley

edit: 9:23pm and we are kicking off!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pm'ed

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

That's okay, I'm already in a voice chat with someone else anyway. But we can play Sentinels via text - it can't be that hard, I'm sure ;). So, got two of us in Skype so far (as in, right now this second)...anyone else want to hop in? :D

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Alrighty, we just finished our first online game! It was playe over Skype, text-chat only. Players were as follows...

Myself, playing Ra

Mezike, playing Fanatic

Matchstickman, playing Legacy

We fought Baron Blade in Megalopolis

Technically this was a pretty short game, but it took at least an hour or so because of the nature of playing such a thing over the Internet ;). There were no huge disasters, really. We had a bit of a mildly annoying phase where we had Hostage Situation come up (can't play cards), followed by another Hostage Situation right after we got rid of the first one, and then the following turn it was replaced by Paparazzi on the Scene (can't use powers). So that slowed us down a bit. I think Blade got seven cards into his trash before we flipped him. Might have been eight, but either way we had a while to go before things started looking dodgy :). By this point he also had two Living Force Fields (+1 damage soak) in play, which was slightly annoying but with Legacy's buffs, plus a Rooftop Combat followed closely by a Cramped Quarters Combat (both +1 damage, okay so we didn't have both  out at once), it didn't impact us too greatly. Eventually I got the killing blow. I ended the game on 10hp, and I think both Legacy and Fanatic had 16. Great fun was had by all and we intend to do it again some time! :D

I am the Wordweaver...

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

GMTers, how did you like playing via chat?

That's a very Core lineup of decks you chose. Intentional?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Text was very slow, it took us about 90 minutes to play it... but it was still fun and it easier to keep track of HP and buffs etc as it was all right there in the chat log. I tried to keep in character for the game, which is easier over text.

The decks? Yeah I believe someone only has EE but we wanted to try a basic game because it was the first time we were playing this way, we didn't even play advanced as someone has not played an advanced game, ever(!).

Having played both voice and text I prefer voice, no real slow down in the action, easier to get your intent across to people and more sense of actually playing together but I don't think I'd turn down a game just because it was over text.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

There was some good characterisation all the way through which the text really brought out, and keeping track of everything was easy and clear, at the cost of a slower game. The game was relaxed and I felt like I had time to get my cards and effects sorted without keeping everybody hanging on plus, on a personal note, I could play without turning my wife into a Sentinels widow, the value of which mustn't be underestimated wink

We went core as we wanted to keep things as simple as possible for the first go round, it's a familiar groove with a set up that most of us have probably played at some point so there were less surprises (expect for my terrible shuffling of the environment deck.) Now that we've made it work I think something more adventurous will be on the slate for next time.

In any case it was fun all the way through and the time flew by; I was about to suggest a second game when I looked at the time and couldn't believe that 90 mins had passed! We had quite a bit of chat before and after too which was nice, and a bit of in-character silliness at the end which I doubt would have worked as well in real life.

Some suggestions for running text based games would be to post your HP and ongoing effects at the end of your turn, and to name the next character as a way of passing play. We kept this up most of the time and it really helped to get a reminder of what buffs were active and who had the most/least HP (which informed my play as Fanatic a couple of times.) Once or twice we jumped in over each other, no big deal though and no worse than overtalk in a conference call. We didn't have a great deal of strategising to get through but that was probably more to do with the chosen decks than anything else.

All in all I think it was a success and I am looking forward to the next one. I'd like to try a voice based game, unfortunately my headset doesn't work with my tablet either so I'll probably be stuck with text until I can find a replacement. Buying a headset just to play Sentinels would be a difficult sell for me, having just broken my wallet on the kickstarter!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hey Match, you don't have to say "someone" - you could just say "Ameena", you know ;). But yeah, haven't tried an Advanced game yet. Remember that I normally only play two-player games as we don't have a third player!

Anyway, yeah it was good fun - that random semi-IC silliness at the end was epic :D. Do people tend to make vaguely IC comments when playing cards and stuff, then? I just play it purely mechanically, calling out phases and declaring card plays and stuff. Never even thought of making IC comments, lol.

But yeah, looking forward to another game. I suppose it might be a bit less awkward using voice chat but I basically have a perma-voice chat open with someone else when I'm on in the evening...

I am the Wordweaver...

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Glad to hear it all went well. I'm looking forward to more online games once I've got more free time. (Damn you, finals!)

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I plan on hosting more games here fairly soon. Currently looking for a new job so that has been taking some time off my hands. Also have been considering going to college so that way I can get a far superior job. But anyways, after I get things settled I will probably make a new topic entitled "Ronway's super awesomely awesome to the maximum toasted pastries of special sunny sauce Google+ hangouts game times" or something along those lines where I will update times that I would be available and up for playing games.

Fentum

That sounds like a supercool session. I'd love to join you next time, real life willing.

Fentum

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Well, Ameena and I held a Skype game last night where we went up against the Matriarch. I understand that Ameena wants to put up a few words on it so I won't steal her thunder other than to say that the epic dial was turned up all the way to legendary. It was a long long game and we started far too late in the evening, but damn it was worth the bleary eyes this morning!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Are all Skype games going to be announced on this forum? Because if not, I would like to be added to the group in case you guys can play a game during the time I'm available.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Nielzabub wrote:

Are all Skype games going to be announced on this forum? Because if not, I would like to be added to the group in case you guys can play a game during the time I'm available.

Apologies for not announcing it, if it makes it any better it was a bit more ad hoc than that! We were randomly chatting while Ameena finished off her latest Sporcle quiz then we both felt up for a game despite the late hour. I had a quick look on here but nobody was around, I think it would have been a game during breakfast if you were up at the time laugh

I'm very unlikely to be in an online game myself at the weekend as that is usually family time, whereas weekday nights are a little more flexible due to the kids being in bed early on a school night and my wife studying. Of course if you fancy getting up really early on a Saturday morning then we can probably catch each other at some point!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Saturday morning for you would be Sunday night for me. I am nine hours ahead of GMT.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Nielzabub wrote:

Saturday morning for you would be Sunday night for me. I am nine hours ahead of GMT.

eh? We're a few months still from Shattered Timelines!

Surely if it's Saturday morning for you then it's Friday night for me?

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Yes, that would be correct. Right now, it's about 8:20 pm

Mezike
Mezike's picture

And yes, please do join the group. My Skype tag is the same as my username, with 3's instead of e's. Make sure to identify yourself or you may end up in the spam can ;-)

If you see me active on Skype then ping me, I only use this logon for playing Sentinels so it's highly likely I'll be up for a game.

Fentum

Would anyone be around this evening, 7th December, from around 21:00 GMT? 

I am no expert in Skype or SOTM, but I'd give it a go!

regards,

Fentum

Fentum

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

If I am thinking correctly, that would be in a hour and half. So I think I will be up for a game about then. So a Skype game then? My name on Skype is WickedRonway.

Fentum

Ok great. Anyone up for a try at 21:00 GMT tonight, 7th Dec?

I have NO IDEA how it will work via Skype, but hey ho.

Regards,

Fentum

Fentum

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I should be around at that time, maybe a bit later 9.30ish. Don't feel you have to wait though as i'm not 100% sure i'll make it

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I'd be up for it. My Skype name is the same as here. I'm lazy that way. Unfortunately my mike's busted so I'd be text only. That ok?

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hoping to join the fun in 20 minutes,

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

I'm generally interested in skype-based play at GMT-friendly hours, but I won't be able to make tonight. Still, some other time, maybe?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Hey Arenson, what was your Skype name? I don't recall seeing it.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My skype name is the same as my forum name. 

I've got some work I'm trying to furiously finish so that I'll be able to join y'all. The reality is that I probably won't be able to do anything until about 4:30 EST (9:30 GMT?) We'll see.

Fentum

It'll take us that long to figure out how to use Skype!

Fentum

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Fentum, what name are you using on Skype as the Fentum I find is in the US and so probably not you?

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I'd love to join in with you guys, but I'm at my coffee shop job and without my cards!  Also I have forgotten/need to create my Skype account.  Have some fun for me!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Pages