The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Fireside chat update: Vengeance

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture
Fireside chat update: Vengeance

Happy new year and happy new fireside chats!

Let me know if you spot any typos or have any questions.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture
  • G.I. Bunker - power now works until the start of your next turn.

Didn't it already work like that?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It used to say "Until start of your turn" and got updated to "until start of your next turn" which the difference is mostly that you could use the power at the start of your turn and not have it immediately expire now.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Kratos13

Environment/hero effects that happen at the start of a villain turn happen at the start of every villain turn, and use the deck of the villain whose turn it is. For example, Time Flies plays the top card of Proletariat's deck at the start of Proletariat's turn; the top card of Ermine's deck at the start of Ermine's turn, etc.

Cards like “Slamara”, which play the top card of the villain and all hero decks, play the top card of ALL villain decks! Terrifying.

Out of curiosity, what is the ruling with Pillar of Hercules in a Vengeance game? (too afraid to try it out myself...)

The Burning Stickman

Kratos13 wrote:

Environment/hero effects that happen at the start of a villain turn happen at the start of every villain turn, and use the deck of the villain whose turn it is. For example, Time Flies plays the top card of Proletariat's deck at the start of Proletariat's turn; the top card of Ermine's deck at the start of Ermine's turn, etc.Cards like “Slamara”, which play the top card of the villain and all hero decks, play the top card of ALL villain decks! Terrifying.

Out of curiosity, what is the ruling with Pillar of Hercules in a Vengeance game? (too afraid to try it out myself...)

I tried it a little while ago, and the video game let you choose which deck (so I kept picking the last deck, and just killed him before his turn came up)
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Very interesting ruling on Natural Born Vigor... makes sense, but I'd never have thought of being able to heal by less then 4 (when an effect reduces HP recovery or Naturalist is near full HP) without the card being destroyed.

Still really do not understand the Slamara ruling.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Do you mean "Impossible Quandry" instead of "Impossible Question"?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

"If you play Bestial Shift and use a power to switch to another form, you may to activate form abilities ..."

I'm guessing this should read "you may activate ..."

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

2 for 2 on the typo checks. I'll update those when I can get a chance, thanks!

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

I'm just glad that Entry Point was changed.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Looks loke some more wiki-work to do. Cool. smiley

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Tachyon - power has a new wording and behavior.

That's really vague.  Can those of us who don't own the foil cards get a hint?  For all I know, she has a totally new, different power now.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Original wording 

Quote:

Rapid Recon - You may look at the top card of your Hero Deck. You may discard that card

new wording

Quote:

Rapid Recon - Reveal and Replace the top card of your deck. You may discard that card

You can go to the wiki page and see in the top section the original wording and then go to Variant Pack New Art on the same page to see the new wording http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Tachyon

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

fabikw

Can someone explain what the difference in gameplay is? It seems to me that the outcome is the same.

Powerhound_2000

The result is the same. I think it's more to keep it in line with phrasing used on other cards.  Only example I think of that it makes a difference with is Shinobi Assassin as you still get to reveal a card of your deck after the Shinobi comes out. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The new wording is actually: "Reveal and replace the top card of your Hero deck. You may discard the top card of your deck."

Another notable difference is that this allows Tachyon to reshuffle with her power (if her deck is empty), which was not possible before.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

MigrantP wrote:

Another notable difference is that this allows Tachyon to reshuffle with her power (if her deck is empty), which was not possible before.

Fancy!

Powerhound_2000

I thought a reveal couldn't force a deck reshuffle?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

No, but a discard can ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000

I was thinking it dealt with the reveal.  That makes more sense.  

Trajector
Trajector's picture

What the heck is Christopher being benevolent/a jerk about here? How do hero cards get removed from the game in the Temple of Zhu Long except for incapacitated OblivAeon Ra removing himself?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Unforgiving Wasteland can remove some cards.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That's not in the Temple of Zhu Long, though. :P I think it was just in response to Setting Sun Ra.

I'll admit, the new behavior for Tachyon's power is kind of annoying in the video game. It used to just be "do you want to discard this card?" and now it's "Here's a card. Hope you remember what it was. Do you want to discard it?" I assume F5 Bunker's power is going to work rather the same way. I can't remember things good! D:

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I bet something in OblivAeon will be able to remove hero cards from the game.

Makes me wonder how the resurrection works when you lose a hero and replace them with your backup hero, though.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

That's not in the Temple of Zhu Long, though. :P I think it was just in response to Setting Sun Ra.

Multiple environments are used at the same time in the OblivAeon event (as currently revealed).

Quote:

I'll admit, the new behavior for Tachyon's power is kind of annoying in the video game. It used to just be "do you want to discard this card?" and now it's "Here's a card. Hope you remember what it was. Do you want to discard it?" I assume F5 Bunker's power is going to work rather the same way. I can't remember things good! D:

The discard decision shows you what the revealed card was, unless it's now unknown.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:
How do hero cards get removed from the game in the Temple of Zhu Long except for incapacitated OblivAeon Ra removing himself?

See also Captain Cosmic's (requital) incap.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

MigrantP wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

Multiple environments are used at the same time in the OblivAeon event (as currently revealed).

Oh yeahhhh...

Oh noooooo D:

MigrantP wrote:

The discard decision shows you what the revealed card was, unless it's now unknown.

I hold down the tab button all times, so it just flashes by. D:

Powerhound_2000

When I use her base power on the screen with the option for discarding it shows the card.   So I'm not sure how you are fast forwarding through that.  

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

.... there's a fast forward button!? Knew I should have paid more attention to the tutorial.

The only effect I have trouble with due to the game's speed is Parse's incapacitated ability to reveal and replace the top card of the villain deck.

With regard to Tachyon... the power definitely displays the releaved card when asking what you want to do with it.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

This confirms my suspicions with how the Temple of Zhu Long makes Setting Sun Ra awesome.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Not sure it's that awesome. Sure you can repeatedly kill yourself but your multitarget attack is weaker after you're resurrected and you're costing your team a load of cards. To me Rites of Revival is a trap.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Sure, but in a lot of cases you don't want to be hitting the environment indiscriminately anyway, like the shinobis. Repeatedly playing a card that hits the lowest target may not always be optimal. Plus, only the revived hero is prevented from hitting the environment, so if you have someone on environment cleanup duty, or have something like Environmental Allies in play, it isn't that big of a problem. From my experience, it's much more beneficial to side with Zhu Long than to fight him, as it ends up being a constant struggle. Plus, you get free card draws/plays from Ceremonies.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

That said, Ra's deck immolation has never seemed like much of a drawback to me.  He's going to kill himself long before he eats through his deck.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It's mostly just the pain of seeing "Oh no, there goes my second Staff of Ra!" whenever you use the power. I'd agree, though, he dies long before he's lost even half his deck, in my experience.

Since I just remembered this question and it's at least vaguely tangential to the subject: Why is it Another Reality's Debt will allow you to destroy no cards, but other cards that force a "discard, destroy (or something else)" choice won't?

hynju

I believe the option is to discard your hand or destroy all your cards?

If you have no cards in play, all equals zero, but it is still all, and you can fulfill the requirement.  The same as you can discard an empty hand to fulfill the "discard your hand" requirement.

If you are faced with an option like "discard two cards or destroy one card" and you have no cards in play, you do not have 1 card to destroy so you can't fulfill that requirement and are forced to discard instead.

But I could be wrong.

I am good at being wrong.

The Burning Stickman

Oh, huh. When we played Miss Information a few months ago, that was the first card she flopped, and that's how we interpreted it, that you could destroy all your cards, when there's nothing out (mainly because nobody at the table wanted to nuke all our hands on the first turn of the game).

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Makes sense to me, if you have zero cards in play/hand, destroy/discard all then means you destroy/discard zero.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

But then why can't you destroy zero to avoid discarding two for, say, the Drum of Despair?

hynju

Because the requirement calls for destroying 1 card, which you cannot do if you have 0 cards in play.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I understood it that if something requires you to destroy or discard, you have to do one of those things, and that if you have no cards you can destroy, then you must take the discard option instead (and vice-versa). If you have to either, say, destroy all your cards or discard two and you only have one in hand, you would have to discard that one card.

I am the Wordweaver...

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

If it specifies a number then you have to destroy/discard that number, if you can't meet the critera then you have to take the other option.  If it says discard or destroy all then 0 is a valid number if you don't have any of that type.

Ameena wrote:

If you have to either, say, destroy all your cards or discard two and you only have one in hand, you would have to discard that one card.

In the scenario you listed you'd need to destroy all your cards in play to meet the conditions, this can be as little as 0 because it says all.

The Burning Stickman

It's like Maintenance Level -- you can shuffle your trash into your deck to destroy it even if you don't have anything in your trash.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yes, but if you have no cards in play and two or more cards in hand, you, have to do the discard.

I am the Wordweaver...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Incidental Contact:  does this mean if KNYFE hits them and then say Mr. Fixer redirects his shot to a villain that has already been hit then KNYFE can hit them a second time, a second time?

Powerhound_2000

Yes

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Caliginous Form:  Let's say Twist the Ether is on the bad guy, Shielding Winds is in play, as well as Atlantean Throne Room.

Villain attempts to deal 4 damage to Writhe, Whether or not Visionary reduces or increases the damage Shielding winds makes it 3, then throne room makes it 2, and Caliginous form makes it 0.

Would it still redirect, giving Visionary a chance to change the damage to 2 damage? (4+1-2-1=2)

Powerhound_2000

If the damage reaches 0 and isn't part of an irreducible damage attack then nothing is redirected.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Natural Born Vigor:  If Naturalist is down 3hp, he can use vigor to heal to full and it won't be destroyed???

Wow.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Ameena wrote:

Yes, but if you have no cards in play and two or more cards in hand, you, have to do the discard.

Not in the scenario you listed which was "Destroy all of your cards in play or discard 2 cards".

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It used to be that way - if you have nothing to destroy then you have to discard. Having nothing in play is having nothing in play, whereas having a hand of zero cards is still having a hand (so you can "discard your hand" even if it's empty). I think it was probably a couple of years ago that this came up, though - stuff gets changed around every now and then so maybe this was one of the things, or it's just another change that's only specific to the computerised version.

I am the Wordweaver...

carnilius
Playtester

If one of the Sentinels is removed from game, then the Sentinels are incapacitated, and then a Sentinel is revived, does the cards that were removed from game that are returned include the Sentinel that was removed?