The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Emboldened, Incapacitated, Huge Skyscraper

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester
Emboldened, Incapacitated, Huge Skyscraper

Normally, incapacitated heroes can't use powers at all, even if they have one from some source other than their own cards, because the rules say that the only thing they can do during their turn is use an incapacitated ability.  The rules don't actually say they have no "use a power" phase.  So could you conceivably use, say, Infection and Embolden, to give an incapacitated hero a power use?  What about Cosmic Weapon and Dynamic Syphon?  (In fact, it seems those can even be played directly on an incapacitated hero.  Not that this would normally be a good idea.)

And if that works, I just ran across this in the clarifications:

"If Embolden is on a hero and that hero becomes incapacitated, Embolden stays there until the end of that hero’s next turn."

Presumably, this is because you can't deal damage to an incapacitated hero--unless they're Huge Skyscaper.  That could be a highly amusing workaround.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Embolden would remain out but there wouldn't be much advantage to it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm thinking it wouldn't work that way because an incapacitated hero doesn't get a power phase in which to use powers, yes?

Powerhound_2000

They don't have a power phase so it means nothing other than fodder for Ongoing destruction 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

What rule says they don't get phases?  I don't see it in the rulebook or in the clarifications.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Well the video game is the easiest item I can point to.  An incap hero has a start of turn, incap power, and end of turn phases listed.   I'll check the rule book too as there should be something there.  

Powerhound_2000

In the Enhanced Edition rule book on page 7 it talks about Incapped heroes and says the only thing they can do is use one of the three abilities on the flipped side of their character card.  

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I found that.  But I forgot about the "'can't' trumps 'can'" ruling, which I guess would apply in this case.

Submit your games here!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Sky-Scraper does not have a power phase, but can use powers.  You just need Captain Cosmic to give her a power.

Incapped Sky-Scraper remains a hero character card, and when she is a target, she can deal damage.  So you can Dynamic Syphon Incapped Huge Sky-Scraper and give her a cosmic weapon and she will be able to use that power if she is a target when Cynamic Syphon gives her a power use.  Wounding Buffer is a popular construct to put on incapped Sky-Sraper in my group.

I haven't tested this in the app, but by rule it should work.

Powerhound_2000

I'll try that in Alpha since I can easily setup scenarios but I have the feeling it either causes a crash or will do nothing.

Powerhound_2000

Attached Wounding Buffer, Dynamic Siphon, and Cosmic Weapon to incapped Huge Sky-Scraper.   Used the incap ability to be a 1 HP indestructible target.   Had  one damage dealt to all hero targets during the environment turn.   Wounding Buffer reacted when Sky-Scraper was hit but when Dynamic Siphon was hit no prompt to use a power happened.  

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Well, Wounding Buffer is still legit! :D

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I wonder if here is an unstated requirement to be an active hero attached to using of powers.  That makes the most sense, either that or they didn't think of it.

Powerhound_2000

I submitted a ticket through the alpha testing about the Dynamic Siphon and Cosmic Weapon in a 1Hp incapped Sky-Scraper.    Might be a while for a response from Christopher on it since I have to imagine the Handelabra team will take a bit of a break after releasing Vengeance.  

Powerhound_2000

If you want an answer on an incapped huge Sky-Scraper as a 1HP with Dynamic Siphon attached using the power on Cosmic Weapon you'll have to ask Christopher directly. 

robb8888

MindWanderer wrote:

Normally, incapacitated heroes can't use powers at all, even if they have one from some source other than their own cards, because the rules say that the only thing they can do during their turn is use an incapacitated ability.  The rules don't actually say they have no "use a power" phase.  So could you conceivably use, say, Infection and Embolden, to give an incapacitated hero a power use?  What about Cosmic Weapon and Dynamic Syphon?  (In fact, it seems those can even be played directly on an incapacitated hero.  Not that this would normally be a good idea.)

Like many SOTM rules questions, might the answer to this be in the wording?   Just like there is a difference between "playing a card" and "putting a card into play," it seems to me that "incap abilities" are not "powers."  Therefore, incapped heroes don't have a "power" phase; they have an "incap abilities" phase.  So, (a) if Dynamic Syphon was on an incapped Sky-scraper, it wouldn't do anything because the Syphon allows a hero to use a "power," not an "incap ability"; and (b) even if Sky-scraper had a "power" to play (such as by having Cosmic Weapon on her), she couldn't play it, she doesn't have a "power" phase in which to play powers, only an "incap abilities" phase.  Does that make sense?