The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Regular Skype meetups

420 posts / 0 new
Last post
EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'm downloading Vassal right now, and I'll see if I can get the hang of it. What's my next step? Make a Google+ account? Everyone feel free to shout out whenever you'd like to play, and we'll see what times are good for everyone.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Making a Google + account would be helpful, it may be a fairly regular thing we use since it does have group webchat. And like I have said I will be available all Tuesday the 27th of November.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Alright, got a Google+ account and ready to go.

I could do it Tuesday, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm usually busy most of the day until after 6:00 Central, but after that, I currently don't have anything planned.

On Wednesday, Nov. 28, I'm free most of the day, with no plans currently set as well.

These are both subject to change, but if there are a decent number of people who set themselves to play, I will put those times as my top priority.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Still up for a game around 6 Evan? It's less than 2 hours away. Anyone else want to join in aswell?

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Another time, sadly.  There is homework to be done.  Thank you for the invite!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think I'll be in bed by then - it's gone half ten in the evening here, and I have work tomorrow so I usually head off between 11pm and midnight.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I should of posted something sooner, there were so many people on today that there surely could of been a game a few hours ago, too bad I was distracted with awesomely awesome to the max playtesting!!! I guess another time, unless there are anyone wanting to try for tonight?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

If there is a game going on tonight I could stand to revenge myself on one of the villains for our last defeat.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Around 6:00 you say? Time zone? I can rush back to my dorm room right now if need be.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I would like to get a game going again, in about an hour would be best. I'm about to get off to go eat some yummy food, but afterwards i'm all for playing again. Hopefully by the time I get back more people will see this in decide to join the band wagon.

So roughly 6:00 pm Central Time Zone, Tuesday Nov. 27th, 2012. So anyone wanting to join be ready.

Edit: No need to rush Evan, unless it's a long trip there. The game could be put off a half hour or so if need be.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'm down. Matchstick, you in on this? 6:00 Central?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Man I feel like Tachyon right now, time is moving so sloooooowlllly towards 6.

(I'm in)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Cool cool cool. I'll head back to my room in a second (it's just a 10 minute walk).

Maybe we can find a fourth playtester to join us, I haven't played Kismet or Iron Legacy yet.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Well i'm ready when everyone else is, I guess everyone besides Matchstick can just message me their Google + names and i'll get it set up here in a minute.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Sending mine in a PM in a second.

Sent.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

So, how did the game go?

Also, is a Google-Plus account different from a normal Google account? Because I have one of those but never been on Google-Plus. The only reason I have a Google account, I think, is 'cause it and YouTube use the same login details now, so if I'm logged into YouTube then I'm logged into Google. And I check my subscriptions every day (Yogscast is a busy channel!) so that'll be all the time, then ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Having a Google account likely means you have a Google+ already set up, you just have to log in.  That said, I really don't like the idea of Google+ (I really don't even like the idea of Facebook, the only reason I have an account is that I set it up so long ago because it had a standard unmodifiable layout (which made it much better than MySpace already) and I had a couple friends that sending Facebook messages was simpler than email (for them).  And that was about 6-8 years ago.  Today, I wouldn't sign up for Facebook either.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

If you've got a Google account, setting up Google+ will take no time at all. It's fairly quick.

And the game went well. It was just me, Ronway, and Matchstickman, and we played two games. Google+ is wonderful for this sort of thing. I'd love to play more games online with people here.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I only joined google+ for the video and voice chat, not sure if I will use it for anything else.

Still, if I were to only use it to play Sentinels it's still a good thing to have installed!

And hey, we got stickied!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

As of right now i'm only using Google+ for playing Sentinels on. I don't even sign into it unless it is moments before a scheduled game since I don't see a use for it otherwise. I can't wait for the day when I can log onto here and read that someone wants to play a game at a certain time and everyone is just swarming it that there are two or even three games going on at once. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, hopefully I'll happen to be checking the forum at the right moment when people have just posted that a game is being set up, and it'll happen to be at a time where I can actually join in (as opposed to about two minutes before I log off to go to bed, or something ;)). Maybe one day I'll be able to join! I also have Skype so if anyone who plans to set up a game happens to be on there, I don't mind if they add me. That way we'll be able to see when each other is online and see if something can be set up over on Google or whatever ;). Was there a reason Google was preferred over, say, Skype? Is there some feature that makes it more conducive to playing a card game? I gather from a comment above that it has a chat window...but Skype basically is a chat window. Or is it just that more people have Google accounts than Skype?

I am the Wordweaver...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I prefer it because of the video chat is free. Granted the video didn't work as well as I would of liked it to, but maybe something will be worked out to make it super-de-awesome.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I wouldn't plan on using vid-chat. I don't see any reason to (as mentioend above). And I don't have a webcam. I'd be fine with just text chat.

Incidentally, it's "would have", not "would of" ;). Yeah, I know, I'm being pedantic, but it was bugging me ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It's not really needed for everyone, but what i did in our last game is I used all those tokens on the screen so people could see damage bonuses and the HP of the villian. The cards aren't seen too well on screen too well, but maybe something will be worked out. Matchstick also doesn't have a webcam and he has been apart of both sessions thus far and both have been huge sucess!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Text chat is so very, very slow compared to voice chat.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I would never want to use text chat. That would take way too long to do anything. Strategizing with everyone would be such a pain. Voice chat is the only way to go, in my opinion. And yeah, video isn't really required, it just depends on what you choose. I used video just because I didn't have a problem with it.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

My programming years have made me a bit of a typist, so text chat is not that bad for me.  That, plus I feel akward talking via an electronic means (I even will never use pickup windows at restaurants or go to Sonic).  Also, I like privacy, and don't like the fact that what I speak into a microphone can easily be heard by someone in the next room or down the hall (I even walk out to the back yard when I talk on the phone).  So text is so much better for me than voice.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

josul0215
josul0215's picture
Playtester

I wouldn't mind joining up as long as someone helps me out with setup. However, I only posses the original core printing at the moment, and my playtesting kit.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

So I've been playing Sentinels for a long time, but haven't been too active in the forums. I live in Japan now, though, so I would really love to possibly get in on some Skype games.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Who'd be up for a game on Thursday the 29th of November around 1 p.m. Central time? The time is flexable, so if anyone wants to start slightly sooner or later would be fine be me.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I'd be up for it. I just don't know about time zones. I live in Japan which puts me past the dateline, so my night is your morning and vice versa. I could probably do a game This Saturday morning which is Friday night for you guys.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Central time is GMT -6 so 1PM Central is 7PM in London. Japan is on JST which is GMT +9, so 7PM+9 is 4am in Tokyo on Friday morning.

I generally use www.timeanddate.com if I need to work out time zones and figure out when I can get my gaming in

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm not a fan of voice chat. I've found everyone just ends up trying to speak at the same time 'cause you can't tell when someone else is about to say something. And it's easy to miss something someone says, or not have a chance to say anything at all. If you're typing, you can't miss a message because it's all there on the screen and you can just read it in your own time. Also, it can be bloody distracting if I'm trying to read something, or whatever.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I'm sorry but you have found poor groups of people then!

I have played RPGs over Skype for more than 5 years now, and yeah, there's a learning curve for each new group of people, but it's really no different than a conference call on a phone, you pay attention to verbal queues and learn peoples' speaking rhythms, just like you do in real life. We've played two games so far and we were still hesitant when we played sentinels but it was an easier transition than some groups I've played in, particularly over Google+ because I could see people over their webcams and see when people were leaning in (as if to speak).

It's not the same environment as playing face to face and it does lose something significant but it is a far better option than text, you can get so much more out of hearing people than you can from 'flat' text.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Hmm... Four hours until game time and I only see one person up for a game. Maybe a post of remindance of the time will help people want to play.

At 1 p.m. central time on November 29th (which happens to be today) I will be hosting a game via Google+. The more the merrier, well... Not after five people, then complications begin. So at least 3 other people can be accepted.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'd love to join, but I've got classes today and I just got an email saying I have/get to move out of my dorm into a better dorm by tomorrow. So I'll be able to play online with no background noise finally!

And yeah, Ameena, you've clearly been playing with the wrong people. When I've played online, everyone just talks when appropriate, so if you ever play with us, you'll see how much better it is. I don't have problems distinguishing people's voices from one another, and when playing Sentinels, we just talk when we've got something to say. We're never shouting over each other.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I haven't ever played anything via voice chat. Well, I had two people in my Skype chat once when I was playing Minecraft, but that was different. And there were only three of us. About the only time I've voice-chatted was the two or three occasions I joined the Teamspeak channel for the gaming group I used to go to. Everyone would be talking about stuff and even if I thought of anything to say, I didn't want to butt in so basically just sat there and didn't say anything. Like I said - you can't see who wants to say anything 'cause you can't see them (though Teamspeak has a push-to-talk function where the icon beside your name changes colour when you hold in your chat button). But that was just general chatting - I can't remember if there was a particular reason I was there. Something club-related, maybe planning for a game at a future club session or something. Anyway, right now I have a Skype channel open to someone else so I wouldn't be able to join a Google-Plus one as well anyway ;).

Well, anyway...maybe I'll get a chance to join a game. Like I said, I suppose it's just a matter of me having the luck to be checking the forum right after someone's posted that a game is shortly upcoming. I suppose I should actually check timezones whenever anyone says what time it is where they are but I can't always be arsed to open another window and Google for a page that shows a timezone list. Mind you, since pretty much everyone seems to be in America, I suppose all I have to do is add on about five hours from any time suggested by anyone and I'll be pretty close ;). That and check the post time of the forum message. Right now it's nearly 6:30pm UK time.

I am the Wordweaver...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Alrighty, 5 minutes until show time, anyone who has not been involved in a Google + game yet that wants to join in can go ahead and send me a PM with their name on there so that way I can send the invite.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Ameena, how about this: get a Google+ account and put all of us in one of your circles there, and then by checking here you can see if anyone plans to play, or check Google+ and see if a hangout is in session, which would actually be the faster way of checking.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Arse, looks like I've missed a game, lol.

Maybe I'll have a look at this Google-Plus thing (just for the purposes of Sentinels games), as I've never been on it. It just sounds like Google's answer to Facebook, something I've never been interested in.

Okay, between this and the previous sentence, I've entered profile details for Google-Plus. My name there is the same as here, of course. So if anyone wants to add me, or whatever...presumably I'll get some kind of pop-up thingy letting me know of such when I go to the Google homepage or something (Google is my Firefox homepage anyway so I'm guaranteed to be there multiple times a day ;)).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Well technically you didn't miss a game. As no one else could make it so there hasn't been one today.

Also is it just "Ameena" or is there more to it, because I am having trouble finding it as it's popping up with a lot of different Ameenas.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ameena Wordweaver. Um...don't think I really have any other info on there that might be useful. Okay actually...I just went and put a Sentinels-related comment in my "Introduction" section. That should help :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Alrighty I got you in my circle now. Now I am not 100% sure, but I think if you add me in your circle when I send out the hangout invites they should appear for you to click. I think, I haven't been invited to anything since i am usually the one who gets the games going and that is all I use it for at the moment.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay, after a bit of faffing about trying to figure out how this rather messily laid-out screen works, I finally found how to access you from my Circle thing and add you. I was a bit confused when your name didn't show as Ronway or something similar, but as it says that on your homepage thing I figured it was you ;). It's confusing when you see someone by one name in one place and another elsewhere. I just use the same alias all over the place, to make it simpler. I wonder if there's a way to rename people like you can on Skype, so you'll display as "Ronway" to me and I won't keep forgetting who you are...

I am the Wordweaver...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I would of had the same picture, but I need to resize it to make it bigger. If I can find out how to edit my name I would change it to include Ronway in there somehow, but as of right now I can't see where that is.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I don't know what their policy is now, but, for a time, Google was requiring you to use your actual first and last names when filling out a profile, and you couldn't use an alias or handle.  If they believed that you were using a handle or alias as your name, they could disable your account until you supplied your real name, or prove that you are using your real name.  Another reason I've never liked the idea of Google+.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Found the nickname section now it displays Ronway in quotes inbetween my first and last name. Pretty fancy, yeah?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Really? Wow, that's crap, lol. Is Rule One of the Internet not "Never give out personal details"? I've done so, yes, but only to people I trust. And privately. I don't want random online people knowing my real name and where I live and stuff. Oh well, if I get some message telling me I have to give out such details in order to use their service, they can go stick it somewhere and I just won't use Google-Plus again ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I never have to worry about people not being able to find me based on a screen name. My full name and screen name are basically interchangable. 

Ameena, I'll throw you into my circles as well in case I'm the host of a game. Again, you'll recognize me. I even use the same picture on there as here. Just me.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yup, cool, got you, Evandan :). Had an e-mail this morning telling me someone whose name I didn't recognise had added me to their circles. Wondered if it was a Sentinels person, then saw the pic and had it confirmed - added you back :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Pages