The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #31: Ridiculous Challenge Time!

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Weekly One-Shot #31: Ridiculous Challenge Time!

Randomized start having the team of DW Expat, DW Fixer, and DW Nightmist taking on the Chairman in Rook City.    The first person to post a You Win! screenshot here http://tinyurl.com/SotM-challenge gets invited to a Sentinels Live stream. 

Good luck.   I know I've tried this multiple times myself and have gotten close but still short    

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

Bottom line any three hero team will have a hard time winning this matchup it's not just this team.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

RIP, Mint streaks

Powerhound_2000

One person on Steam got it in their first try but hasn't claimed it yet http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727258532

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Lucky stiff.

I'm probably going to give up on this one. I can feel my will to live slip away each time I retry. D:

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I've been working on it for a few hours, and here are some tips that may or may not be helpful.

For Expatriette: Consider starting a new seed if she starts with no guns.  Things tend to kick off very fast, and you really can't wait around.  IF you start with hair trigger reflexes, but no gun, then you are actually in a great place- she can spend tons of time aiming and picking off thieves and informants as soon as they show up.  

For Fixer: The jack handle is a godsend for when things pile up, but crowbars are fantastic for amping up your damage and a hoist chain can shut down the operative... until the environment or the contract amp her back up again.  If you start with no tools, then its going to get dicey.  You really need that multi-target damage ASAP, or the ability to cut down on the operative's retaliation. 

For Nightmist: I've yet to really come up with a good strategy for DW Nightmist. You can set up your spells for maximum effect with attunement, but the self harm aspect gets out of hand so, so fast. You rarely have time to set up, what with the thieves lurking about, and your teammates just won't have the HP to spare to really let you cut loose with Oblivions and the like. Mist form can be fantastic for tanking... but only if your teammates have the AoE damage that they need to clear out enemies. If fixer is stuck hitting one target at a time, and expatriette is plinking away with an SMG, then going into mistform is just prolonging the fight and letting the chairman build up the army.  Really, the only thing I can say is to HAVE A PLAN when going into mistform- I tend to do it as a panic measure when I think that things are getting grim, and it hasn't turned out well.

For the Chairman: If they start out with the Contract, just reset.  The entire pace of the fight is accelerated, and that is NOT to your benefit.  The ideal start, such as it is, is one where you get informants out ASAP- you actually want to let the chairman play cards so that you can shuffle those thugs into the deck.  the onyl trick is knowing when to really go all out- the key is to wipe the board entirely (or mostly) of thugs, but NOT underbosses- then have the deck shuffle.  If you can do that, you might actually pull off a win.  Might.  This is a hellish fight, and I fully expect to spend several days trying (and I still might fail).

Good luck!

emcg575797
emcg575797's picture

Fine.

And boy (other genders are available) do I feel fine!

On the 5th attempt, I finally got some semplence of a beginning with both Expat and Fixer (Normally, I would let them pertulate for a turn but not really an option here). However, The Contract came out on the initial turn, but I turned it into a pure drag it out damage race. Grease Monkey Fist and Jack Handle were great at the beginning, and Expat using Assault Rifle joining in the hurt.

Nightmist spent the early game providing fodder for Fixer, then turtled when things looked bleak. A well timed Mist-Fueled Recovery got her ahead of The Chairman. Two Oblivions later and queue that sweet, sweet, music and my special happy dance.

Rook City survives for another day.

Attachment(s): 
Powerhound_2000

Congrats

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

I think this is going to be another one I just sit out.

Reverend Pete

Only tried this once so far....

It did not go well.

Time to try, try again! and again, and again....

Powerhound_2000

This is the healthiest I've seen the team at the end http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727947410

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I managed to do it, with Fixer the sole survivor at 1 HP.

It was an incredible rush as I waited for that sweet, sweet comic cover to unlock.  and waited. and waited. 

doubt began to set in.  Had I restarted too many times?  Was I being punished for using the "rewind" key?  Was this the final sick revenge of the chairman?

I may never know.  I am left with doubts and no comic cover. 

Powerhound_2000

That's rather unfortunate.   The cover should show in the main weekly one-shot screen at least.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

That's rather unfortunate.   The cover should show in the main weekly one-shot screen at least.

sadly, no.  It is as if I never played at all.  I got the win screen, so I don't think it was a glitch with the Operative (and she was incapped well before the chairman).  Maybe it will give it to me sometime in the future. But I'm going to keep trying and see if I can beat it again. 

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

sadly, no.  It is as if I never played at all.  I got the win screen, so I don't think it was a glitch with the Operative (and she was incapped well before the chairman).  Maybe it will give it to me sometime in the future. But I'm going to keep trying and see if I can beat it again.  

I have had this happen twice with no reason that i could deduce (albeit before the most recent update.) In my case both times were "continued" games from a previous day and I was actually offline at least once when I got the win. Instead of mint, I got no cover, then the next time I won I got Near Mint.

More on topic, haven't beaten this one yet. Might just let it go and go back to try Sleep-Walking Papers again....

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

At the moment, the Weekly One-Shot feature requires you to be online.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I managed to get a really good start- an early prison break, early Deputy/Fence/Broker (the Contract is just brutal as a starter).  No double underboss rounds, which can flood the field. 

Tony and Dr. Tremata helped me navigate Rook City and the Organization.  

Expatriette had an early assault rifle and cryo ammo to keep things manageable. Fixer started with a Jack Handle and got Driving Mantis out quickly, with crowbars coming out once the chairman flipped. 

Nightmist sat in Mist form, soaking up the undivided attention... until the chairman came out of hiding and it was time to mistbind him.  then start casting oblivion to  keep the pressure on.  

This was not an easy fight- how could it be?  I've tried, failed, and re-started this one again and again.  I'm not proud.  I've reset immediately if none of the heroes had the type of things I thought they needed- after that 10th loss, it starts to feel less necessary to play by the rules, and after the 20th loss it really feels good to have things start in your favor for a change.  

I'll take my Fine. Everything could have failed in a heartbeat.  But somehow it all came together. And this time (for whatever reason) the victory actually counted and I got my cover. 

Powerhound_2000

yes

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

I got my fine.  SO many restarts, SO many failures, plus a few rewinds, but it's mine.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Chrono
Chrono's picture
Playtester

I have literally tried 30 times to win this one. Many times I am dying before the chairman flips. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but for the life of me I cannot figure this one out.

Anyone can game alone, but it is much more fun to game with friends.

Chrono

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Here is what helped me, but so much of this just comes down to having the right tools at the right time. 

Expatriette: in your opening hand, look forHair Trigger Reflexes. Aimed HTR is the single best protection the team has against thieves and informants, so getting that out immediately is incredibly useful. Hopefully you get some Cryo ammo later, for when the chairman flips  

Fixer: having a jack handle to start is amazing. The ideal is to start with the handle, get out mantis style, then switch to crowbars once the Chairman comes out. 

Nightmist: starting with a mistform is amazing. It helps absorb so much damage. Oblivions are just as good, unless the contract is out. I really like using her base power to arrange it so that a heedless lash will play a necklace or stabulet. 

In the later game, an Astral Premonition can help you control the deck  

rook city: hope that you get tremata and Tony out ASAP, and try like hell to survive. There's no good strategy here that I've found. 

The Organization:

so much depends on what comes out when. 

In general, you need: Prison Break to be played ASAP (preferably first turn), then the second one to be played either immediately thereafter, or uselessly. 

It really, really helps if the first thing out is the broker- you can accelerate the deck and try to kill everything except the underbosses right before the shuffle (Jack handle/bloody knuckles/grease monkey, with most form works well for that).  Alternatively, if you have an early oblivion and the crowbars, go hyper aggressive ASAP and try to get the chairman to flip ASAP... Though you still really need those prison breaks to come at the right (for you) time. 

be SHAMELESS about using the rewind. Oblivion fizzles because of revealing dual 1's? Rewind. Did you forget retaliation damage and end up dead? Rewind!  Did a prison break come out and undo everything? Rewind!

in the end, it is all about luck and getting things to align. I'll readily admit ragequitting when the contract was the first out and expat started with no guns. Or just plain restarting again and again until the heroes started with a loadout I thought might work. 

Good luck!  I hope you get it.

Melkhor

By God... I FINALLY got it. The Operative fell at last after Mr. Fixer's incapacitated power allowed Expatriette to shotgun his former student straight to hell (or rather, straight to Zhu Long's temple, I should say)!

Expatriette at 1, Fixer down for the count and Nightmist at 4.

After that harrowing ordeal, I don't want to see either the Chairman or Rook City again for a VERY long time!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, if anything, this one has really soured me on Rook City. (I've always hated the Chairman, so no change there!)

M1rth

I've been trying for weeks. Can't even manage a kill on the Operative. I was finally close this time, but then the blasted Jailbreak pulled its entire deck into play.