The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What $ value should I place on the promos?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester
What $ value should I place on the promos?

So a friend has copies of the original 4 promos (YL/HotH/RCWraith/Redeemer) that he doesn't want. They are, of course, the only ones I don't yet have, so I'm going to trade for them out of my overflowing boardgame library. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what price I shold give him when he starts picking things out. There's a handful of eBay and BGG listings, but a number of them are incomplete/have a bunch of extra stuff/not sold/etc., and I just can't get an idea of whether they're actually worth $5 or $500. He's not attached and isn't interested in putting them on eBay himself (he had no idea they were anything special and initially offerred them to me for far too little), but I want to give him fair value for a relatively rare commodity. 

Can anyone offer some help or advice? USD preferred, but I"m happy to convert from your local currency if needed.

...yeah, me too.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Boardgamegeek provides a good history of the sale value of games sold there, so that's a pretty decent way to see how the cards have trended in the past.

I've seen YL alone go for $100-150, and the other ones usually range somewhere between $20 and $50. But honestly, I'd ask your friend what he's interested in and go from there. If you're both happy with what you get, what does it matter what they're actually worth?

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

4.73 rai stones

Also, what bobbertoriley said.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Will the going price for these promos drop, with the upcoming release of the variant packs?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

grysqrl wrote:

4.73 rai stones

500 Sentinels points!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

dpt wrote:

Will the going price for these promos drop, with the upcoming release of the variant packs?

Maybe, but probably not much. It's always been possible to get cheap substitutes, since gtg doesn't mind home proxies. It's the collector's value that makes then valuable, not their game text.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Trajector
Trajector's picture

The value for original promos is also currently going up, not down. At the last PAX charity auction, Ra went for $200. Young Legacy (Christopher: "We have...like...single digits of these left!") was more. Like Arcanist said, it's the collector's value that drives the price, so I don't think the new foil/variant packs will cause those numbers to drop. Maybe a few years after OblivAeon ends the Multiverse, interest will wane and the prices will go down. Maybe.

I would say that if it's between you and your friend, you two alone get to decide how much the promos are worth to each other. The rest of eBay is kind of irrelevant. You each could always consider it from the economist's marginal cost point of view: Are you willing to trade Seven Wonders for Young Legacy? What about that plus Dominion? What about both of those plus Zooloretto? ...you keep considering questions like those until you find your breakpoint.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bobbertoriley wrote:

Boardgamegeek provides a good history of the sale value of games sold there, so that's a pretty decent way to see how the cards have trended in the past.I've seen YL alone go for $100-150, and the other ones usually range somewhere between $20 and $50. But honestly, I'd ask your friend what he's interested in and go from there. If you're both happy with what you get, what does it matter what they're actually worth?

FWIW, I agree with these prices ranges from what I recall of scanning ebay over the years, including relatively recently.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel