The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Battle for Broken City Status

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
godzilla999666

Any updates on this? It seems that the kickstarter backers are getting monthly updates, surely those of us that have already waited a year plus for this product deserve a monthly update also on this project. It has been over two months since the last one. Last we ord was intense focus on this project after the kickstarter but this is the 3 or 4th time it was supposed be focues on with not much for an update. If they are changing some of the orginal characters, i hope any new cards are included for those that preordered this, and we don't  have to rebuy the orginal g a me to get the changes.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Based on talking to Peter while at Who's Yer Con, I don't think there will be any revisions to existing cards. No new characters will have Reach. How reach works may have its explanation changed for clarity.

It sounds like they're on the 4th iteration of playtest material.

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

You 100% will not have to rebuy the original game! And just for the record, those changes were me thinking out loud - we're still iterating rn!

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

PeterCHayward wrote:

You 100% will not have to rebuy the original game! And just for the record, those changes were me thinking out loud - we're still iterating rn!

I understood that you were still iterating, but figured the two things that I mentioned sounded like they were pretty set. (Nobody with Reach; changing explanation of Reach in the rules).

Looking farther upthread reminded me that Peter had also mentioned development work on Capture the Flag mode.

godzilla999666

The main point of the post was can we get an update? They are giving those that kickstarted the card game a monthly update and considering we preordered over a year ago I feel we also deserve monthly updates.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

There isn't much to update on.  It is being worked on, but a lot is still up in the air.  A lot of the things that are being looked into and re-evaluated will take time, and other deadlines have pushed focus away from Tactics this week.

There are revisions and new modes being tested, and focus is swinging back to tactics again so there might be more news (or not, depending on how things go) next month.  If I understood correctly this summer there will be a big push on Tactics.  This is of course my understandings from the playtesting side.

We are definitely making progress, but this week is really focused on other things, so Tactics is kind of waiting for a deadline to pass.

godzilla999666

Another month of no news on this product. I am willing to bet money that the kickstarter for the card game delivers before this, because there are more backers, and they are more vocal. 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

That's not going to be the REASON, but that will probably happen. They're doing MAJOR adjustments to visual appeal, rules revisions, and determining how and to whom to market it. It's taking a lot of effort, and while ObliVAeon WILL probably get done first (speculation, of course -- i can't pretend to have insider knowledge of their business plans) it is most certainly NOT because it brought in more money.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

godzilla999666

Listen to the crickets on this. Been since january since we have had an ipdate, if they are not sending to the printer soon, they will. Iss the 2 year window of getting it out Feb 2017. I find myself avoiding the forums, and the experience of the silence and this game seemly being mived down the list of thing working has souredvme on the comoany as a whole.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

godzilla999666 wrote:

Listen to the crickets on this. Been since january since we have had an ipdate, if they are not sending to the printer soon, they will. Iss the 2 year window of getting it out Feb 2017. I find myself avoiding the forums, and the experience of the silence and this game seemly being mived down the list of thing working has souredvme on the comoany as a whole.

I wouldn't hold you're breath too long. Focus is split about 10 different ways on so many other products in development its hard to get a solid beat on where anything is at.

tthorn23
tthorn23's picture

An update on this would be lovely.  Tactics is a game I really want to play more, but my game group just isn't interested in the skirmish side and the 1vs. Many campaign means I'm always the bad guys.  Please make something available for this game to be fully CO-OP!  

godzilla999666

I am not holding my breath, I am also not going to buy another greater than games product. Both the way they have handled this pre-order, and the oblivean kickstarter has lead me to be dissapointed in their customer service.  If they have too many projects, maybe they should focus on the oldest ones first. Both this and the kickstarter, they were great talking about it until it was over, and they had the money. Then few and sporadiac updates, unless they are selling another game. At least 3 times in the last year and half, they said they are focusing on tactics. I am just very disappointed in what I used to consider a good company.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I can understand the handling of Broken City for Tactics being off putting but I'm not sure I understand your grief with OblivAeon.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

tthorn23
tthorn23's picture

Yeah - same here.  I have no gripe with ObilAeon at this point.  They've generally handled their SoTM very well.  

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

In general, we're getting updates for Oblivaeon because there's something to update us on, Backerkits start going out in waves, Backerkits all released, Backerkits locking down, Foil heroes going to the printer, ect.

Meanwhile the only news we could reasonably get about Battle for Broken City is that playtesting is still ongoing and release is still schedualed for early 2017.  We will more than likely start getting updates when things are locked down and getting ready to head to the printers towards the end of the year.

As for the next couple of months following the Foil Hero packs going out, expect the news on Oblivaeon to die down and more focus to be put on SC-RPG as the Kickstarter for that will be running.

godzilla999666

Another month without any kind of update. The longer it goes without any news or something coming out, the more the game will die and people will not think to play it. Oh well, I used to believe in GTG and check forums ofter, now i check maybe once a month, so eventually the pre-order might get done in a coupe more years, and i can blow the dust off the game and sell it all as a collection.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

godzilla999666 wrote:

Another month without any kind of update. The longer it goes without any news or something coming out, the more the game will die and people will not think to play it. Oh well, I used to believe in GTG and check forums ofter, now i check maybe once a month, so eventually the pre-order might get done in a coupe more years, and i can blow the dust off the game and sell it all as a collection.

There has been some gears turning under the hood recently fwiw. GenCon tends to eat 99% of >G's time (ever been? its a metric butt-ton of work), but I'm fairly confident that post GenCon we will get an update about it.

I feel ya though man. I preordered along with everyone else and as a  fellow customer it's incredibly frustrating. Just sit tight. News is coming down the pike.

morph147

Does anyone have any news on this from gen con?

i will echo Godzilla though, I miss the monthly or bimonthly status updates by Paul on what is going on at gtg. They r greatly appreciated even if it's a no real news to talk about

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

godzilla999666

I ead the post, and am even more disgruntled, especially cause it e ounds like the announcement  was only cause someone asked. So now, we are getting something different than ordered which i bet delays it it even f#&*ing longer, and we get to buy an upgrade kit if we want both the orginal stuff and the new s tuff together. There had better be some sort of offical announcement with details within the next week. And by official, i mean i want a gtg employee to step up, not the playtesters that have gotten to play the stuff already and are covering up for gtg not saying anything. I appreciate the playtester posting, but your not gtg, and are not the same as the rest of us that are not playtester as you have information and ain't  sitting around with nothing new to play and no new info for months on end and vague updates for over thd last year, with a whole lot of "we will be focusing on this in the future" bullstuff.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

godzilla999666 wrote:

I ead the post, and am even more disgruntled, especially cause it e ounds like the announcement  was only cause someone asked. So now, we are getting something different than ordered which i bet delays it it even f#&*ing longer, and we get to buy an upgrade kit if we want both the orginal stuff and the new s tuff together. There had better be some sort of offical announcement with details within the next week. And by official, i mean i want a gtg employee to step up, not the playtesters that have gotten to play the stuff already and are covering up for gtg not saying anything. I appreciate the playtester posting, but your not gtg, and are not the same as the rest of us that are not playtester as you have information and ain't  sitting around with nothing new to play and no new info for months on end and vague updates for over thd last year, with a whole lot of "we will be focusing on this in the future" bullstuff.

Look, you are not the only one who shares similar feelings. For what its worth, refunds will be offered for those who preordered Broken City if you don't wish to transfer that to Prime War. At least that is my understanding.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Foote wrote:

Look, you are not the only one who shares similar feelings. For what its worth, refunds will be offered for those who preordered Broken City if you don't wish to transfer that to Prime War. At least that is my understanding.

Yep - that was part of what was publicly stated (emphasis is mine):

arenson9 wrote:

They now plan to release Prime War _instead_ of Broken City/For Profit, including a kit to update Core/Expansion 1 to work w/ Prime War. Kickstarter backers can get a refund or accept Prime War and the various extras that will eventually come with it for Kickstarter backers. They admitted that this was far from an ideal solution, but in the end they feel the need to release a great product. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

morph147

The only confusing thing on that rabit is there wasn't a Kickstarter for sentinel tactics broken city, there was w preorder, so if they r switching it to a Kickstarter how will that work

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Keep in mind you're dealing with a tired Andy and he may have just typed out the wrong thing.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Keep in mind you're dealing with a tired Andy and he may have just typed out the wrong thing.  

That's exactly what I think happened. :-)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

This is a major undertaking, from all sides.

The goal is to make Tactics a much better, and much more marketable entity.

If you've ever seen the first edition of SotM, you can see the flaws in that game.  The Enhanced edition took a great little game and turned it into something much better, and much more marketable.  They (and we playtesters) are trying to do for Tactics what the Enhanced edition did for SotM.

They want the game to work.  They want it to do well enough to fund its sequels.  They don't want it to die with a really nice pre-order for the fans of the first game.

That was where it was heading. (from my understanding)

This is going to take time, and they want to make the Broken City game as much as we want it, but it isn't the right place to start this work.

I am really sad that Expatriette, Hippocalypse, Mr. Fixer and Pinion aren't going to be coming out really soon, but I (with the benefit of working on it as a playtester) see why it needs to happen.

I can tell you that this game isn't going to be that different from Flame of Freedom, not anymore than the enhanced was that different from the first edition of SotM.  But it is going to be better, and hopefully have the kind of staying power that will let us get a lot further into the game than we would have without this process.

godzilla999666

Taking 2 years or longer to deliver a preorder that was supposed to take maybe 10 months is going to help kill it.  And again it is playtester commenting nit greater  than games. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I don't know what to tell you then.  You'll get an update when you get an update.

srtown1
srtown1's picture

So, prime war is another tactics type game?

I've been looking around a little, is there any kind of description for pime war out there anywhere?

I'm disappointed about Broken City, I thought tactics was really cool; fresh approach to a super hero game.

I'ts pretty versatile, you can do a lot with it.

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

On the bright side, Prime War might be really cool!

Just sayin'. cheeky

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

srtown1 wrote:

So, prime war is another tactics type game? I've been looking around a little, is there any kind of description for pime war out there anywhere?I'm disappointed about Broken City, I thought tactics was really cool; fresh approach to a super hero game.I'ts pretty versatile, you can do a lot with it.

Broken City was going to be Core Set #2 of Tactics (Flame of Freedom has Core Set #1 on the box). Prime War will take it's place as the 2nd Core Set. So it's still going to be Tactics. I hope that clears up your worry.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

fenianb

I pre-ordered Battle for Broken City and For Profit. Will there be any additional costs to us if we let our pre-order ride for Prime War and Rise of the Ennead? Will our pre-order payment cover both, or will RotE have to be purchased separately?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

fenianb wrote:

I pre-ordered Battle for Broken City and For Profit. Will there be any additional costs to us if we let our pre-order ride for Prime War and Rise of the Ennead? Will our pre-order payment cover both, or will RotE have to be purchased separately?

Per the update

Quote:

... if Prime War and Rise of the Ennead sound like products you want, you can maintain your preorder and you will get those games FIRST, as well as some additional items.

Sounds like the pre-order will cover both. yes

fenianb

Sounds like it but doesn't actually say it. I'd hate to see the wailing and gnashing if in a year or so they say further funds are required. Best to get it out of the way now.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

If you preordered Battle for Broken City and For Profit, you will be getting Prime War and The Rise of the Ennead, as well as the update pack for all of the Sentinel Tactics Wave 1 content AND a special thank you thing we're working on. Unless you opt for a refund, of course.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

If you preordered Battle for Broken City and For Profit, you will be getting Prime War and The Rise of the Ennead, as well as the update pack for all of the Sentinel Tactics Wave 1 content AND a special thank you thing we're working on. Unless you opt for a refund, of course.

Thanks, Christopher! 

fenianb

Christopher wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Pages