The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

(Hypothetical) Sentinels fighting game

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
evandan457
(Hypothetical) Sentinels fighting game

On another thread, I mentioned that I've been thinking for a little while how cool it would be to have a SotM side-scrolling fighting game, 2D or 3D. I just thought "Hey, that would be pretty cool." But no, I'm not going to make one myself, because I don't know how to program flash (or anything). Still, I like the idea of it and just imagining what it would be like. Then, since I play a lot of Mortal Kombat, I got to thinking how amazing it would be to do what DC did and have a crossover between MK and SotM (mainly just because that's my favorite). So, I came up with this list of hypothetical fights in the hypothetical MK vs. SotM:

Legacy vs. Johnny Cage
Absolute Zero vs. Sub Zero
Bunker vs. Cyrax/Sektor
Ra vs. Scorpion
Haka vs. Nightwolf
Visionary vs. Shang Tsung
Tachyon vs. Kabal
Tempest vs. Raiden
Wraith vs. Noob Saibot
Fanatic vs. Quan Chi

But it doesn't just have to be MK; I wanna hear what you guys have thought of (if anything). In a Sentinels fighting game, what kind of things would happen (special moves, etc.)? Any other awesome crossover ideas? Again, just be as out there as you wanna be. This is just all for fun of thinking of ideas.

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't know about match-ups, but I think I'd enjoy seeing them in a Super Smash Bros. game. I feel like those games are a little more creative in terms of utilizing characters with powers (compared to any other big name fighting game - not just to MK).

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

evandan457

Yeah, Smash Bros. is pretty good at having a good cast of unique characters, but I think their best appeal is the whole "pick up and play" part. I really do like that, where you can be good without the hours of practice and memorization. I still have fun with MK, but obviously just about all big-name fighting games take some good practice and reflexes to be good at. And, plus, those big name games have hordes of people who are just a bit too good and take it far too seriously (Street Fighter). But still, I manage to have fun, despite usually getting destroyed when playing online.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also cool in that style of game is that you could play as characters like Omnitron. You could even kinda handle him like that Pikmin fellow and have him spitting out tiny drones...

evandan457

That would make sense, as opposed to in standard fighting games where someone like Omnitron would have to be a boss character, like Shao Khan. But the other three would work fine as they are in either type of game; Voss being a warrior, Blade maybe using his robot suit, and Dawn just being an awesome fighter.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Citizen Dawn would be pretty cool in a Marvel v Capcom type situation where you could tag between members.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I'm a proponent of the MvC style.

meakatommy

Adam wrote:
I'm a proponent of the MvC style.

Same

Poop can wait, Time Crisis is now!

Cervie77
Playtester

Very cool idea, maybe someone could add SotM characters to Mugen?

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: boron.
--Brother Silence, Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I would love to see that, that's a TON of work though, so I'll be very surprised if it happens.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Personally, I am not too much of a big fan of fighting games, partially to the fact I can't go online and win. But I like more of a Street Fighter combat would be more enjoyable fighting game in this case.

Although if Sentinels were to become a game I think it would be pretty awesome as a Tactical RPG, but then again I think just about anything would work fairly well as one.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Actually, you could have an SotM fighting game much sooner than you think.  Not only that, but SotM vs MK vs Street Fighter vs Dragonball vs Mario Bros vs Megaman vs almost any person you can imagine.  M.U.G.E.N.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

With M.U.G.E.N. though, someone would have to make all the artwork for all moves, and that could take a long while.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Just saying, it would be faster than creating a fighting game from scratch, where you have to write the engine in addition to also creating the media assets.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

Shining Force or FFTactics-style rpg would be my ideal choice. That's my favorite type of game.

evandan457

Actually, now that you guys mention it, a team-turn-based RPG style would make way more sense for SotM... Can't believe I missed that. But I'd still love a fighting game. What is this "MUGEN" everyone keeps mentioning?

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

It was a DOS fighting game engine made some time ago.  It allows one to create characters, stages, and even alter the look and feel of the interface to basically create a fighting game.  And each of these three are independent of each other, allowing you to create (and download) all you want.  There are characters already made for most Capcom and MK games, they have Mario Bros characters, The Simpsons characters ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7CfbpMmwk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVtII0FNGY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akG4BMuARxs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFlWW2fWZq8 ), and almost anyone you can imagine.  I used to play it quite a bit, but then I got tired of fighting games in general, and haven't played in some time.

A Windows beta had been released, but afterwards the original company stopped development (I don't think they even exist anymore).  Recently there has been an attempt to create a new engine that works with all existing characters/stages/etc and runs on XNA (Windows, XBox, Windows Phone).

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Good ol' Shining Force, my all time favorite game. SotM using Shining Force's gameplay style would probably be best aswell. Seeing as it has set characters as with FFT it is a multiclass and generic character system. And of course before a Tactical RPG is released there will need to be a few Heroes introduced so that way there are more varied characters to be played. But I imagine the Freedom Five would be the starting characters and the rest would join as the game continues and bosses show up, such as when Grand Warlord Voss makes his appearance, the heroes currently in the party could meet The Tempest.

evandan457

That would lend itself better to the point of Sentinels. You could select a party of five and send them out to do the battle, and hey, the environments could be the stage and still do what they do. Though I'm guessing in this game you'd start having to account for proximity to your target for your attacks...