The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Temporary A Spread of Rampant Green cards

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester
Temporary A Spread of Rampant Green cards

Hello all, like most of you I can't wait to get my hands on this game and have been playing the print and play version quit a bit in the meantime. While I am enjoying playing the base spirits and the spirits GtG revealed to us during the Kickstarter, I have been itching to give Rampant Green, Thunderspeaker, and Nightmares a go. We know Green and Thunderspeaker's spirit panels (or more accurately, we know a past version of them) from Chris Burton's videos, so I started to start here for making some temporary power cards, and I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on whether these cards seemed ok.

I know there are quite a few playtesters on the board, so to be clear I'm not asking if these cards are close to Green's actual cards, I'm just looking for some feedback on: 1. Whether the cards feel thematic to Rampant Green   2. Whether these cards are balanced-ish. I just don't want any power cards that are blatantly over or underpowered. These are temporary after all.   3. The names of the cards.

That being said, I understand if this topic still treads too close to what playtesters can not or should not talk about.

EDIT: To avoid posting custom content (which is against the rules), I'll instead ask what kinds of things do you imagine Green doing? From Chris Burton's videos I know that Green can allow people to place presence, and I'm pretty sure it can push towns. So if we make each of those themes a card, that leaves two left. For these, I'm imagining that one can give the choice of placing Wilds tokens or moving around towns, and the other can reinforce it's theme of demolishing buildings. What do you guys think?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

It's great that you're doing this! (Although I hope it's OK with GtG to be doing it on this forum--I know they don't want variant Sentinels of the Multiverse cards discussed on this forum, only on BoardGameGeek or other forums.)

Obviously what I can say is very limited without permission. I think it's reasonable to have Spread of Rampant Green do something with Wilds tokens, but I also think you'll find in playtesting that you're overvaluing them--when you place a Wilds token, you have no idea when (or if) the terrain will come up.

Can you also post the spirit panel as revealed in the video? Also, did you deduce anything about Spread of Rampant Green's special rules?

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Oops, I didn't know about the no variants thing, I might have to move this then, I didn't know I was breaking any rules.

Here's the point in the video the panel is revealed. So ya, I know about the special rules as they were in the video.

Keeper is one of my favorite spirits, so I'm fairly familiar with the limitations of Wilds tokens. My main concern was if you combining Keeper with Green might make Keeper just two powerful, with the extra Wilds tokens being thrown around. But like you said, testing is required. I appreciate the feedback, hopefully I'm not encoring the wrath of GtG with this topic.

EDIT: Would you mind linking me to where they discuss the variant rule? I just reread the forum rules and it wasn't mentioned there.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

There is a rule a preventing the posting of custom content on the official forums. This came from their lawyers, so that nobody can claim that GtG stole their ideas.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Bunston wrote:
Oops, I didn't know about the no variants thing, I might have to move this then, I didn't know I was breaking any rules. ...EDIT: Would you mind linking me to where they discuss the variant rule? I just reread the forum rules and it wasn't mentioned there.
Hmm, I don't see it in the most obvious place to look for rules. I have seen that policy mentioned, but don't know how it applies to Spirit Island. I wouldn't stress about it.

Bunston wrote:
Here's the point in the video the panel is revealed. So ya, I know about the special rules as they were in the video.
Great, that's what I thought. Let me point out that Spread of Rampant Green likes having buildings in its lands (per that video shot). As such, having it place Wilds on its own Sacred Sites is slightly counter-productive. If you've played Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, I'm sure you've noticed that it rapidly clears out its own lands, and often has no target to Punish Those who Trespass. You'll also notice that it places its Wilds tokens at range 1 rather than range 0. Of course in the case of Keeper this also controls where it can expand to, but it additionally allows adversaries to venture into lands with its presence (if they dare...)

(For those following at home, Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds was revealed here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/spirit-island/posts/1383659)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

Hmm, I don't see it in the most obvious place to look for rules. I have seen that policy mentioned, but don't know how it applies to Spirit Island. I wouldn't stress about it.

It applies to all GtG products, unless there is something explicit saying it doesn't.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

There is a rule a preventing the posting of custom content on the official forums. This came from their lawyers, so that nobody can claim that GtG stole their ideas.

So are you saying I should move this topic? Is this considered custom content?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Asking for public knowledge is fine, creating new ideas presents a problem. If you can, please remove those parts only.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Okay, I'll modify the post to be more general.

EDIT: Modified the initial post, is it ok now?

Roark13
Playtester

Just an FYI, I was able to figure out 2.5 of the 4 thunderspeaker cards. 1 card has a "pick 1 of 2" I can only make out 1 of the choices. I thought I had the fourth starter as well, but it turned out to be the minor power "visions of firey doom". Might still be the fourth starter, not sure. If you would like I can send you the info. I assume you were able to get the panel, but i have that as well if you need it.

How are you playing keeper? I thought you needed the special expansion cards to play with wilds tokens.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Roark13 wrote:

Just an FYI, I was able to figure out 2.5 of the 4 thunderspeaker cards. 1 card has a "pick 1 of 2" I can only make out 1 of the choices. I thought I had the fourth starter as well, but it turned out to be the minor power "visions of firey doom". Might still be the fourth starter, not sure. If you would like I can send you the info. I assume you were able to get the panel, but i have that as well if you need it.

I also got 2.5 out of the 4. What do you think the second option for Voice of Thunder is? Pushing Invaders maybe?

Roark13 wrote:

How are you playing keeper? I thought you needed the special expansion cards to play with wilds tokens.

Nope, you don't need expansion cards to play him or Sharp Fangs, you just need things to represent the tokens. I think that Fangs is noticebly weaker without the Event Deck, but I think Keeper functions just fine without it.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Both of you seem really enthusiastic about the game! Have you thought about signing up to be playtesters?

Roark13
Playtester

I actually just saw this today.  I had 2 questions, and I think you just answered one.  Would spirit island be available to playtest?  And would it be worth doing if I don't own any Sentinels?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Roark13 wrote:
I actually just saw this today.  I had 2 questions, and I think you just answered one.  Would spirit island be available to playtest? And would it be worth doing if I don't own any Sentinels?
I'm not 100% positive what I can answer here. But playtesting includes all the games that Greater than Games puts out. The card game is almost finished, so if you would like to playtest the types of games they put out (including Spirit Island), I think you should consider it. There's more at this thread: https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/the-should-i-become-a-playteste...

The current playtesters largely came from the card game, and of course different games have different audiences, so not everyone is enthusiastic about all the games. That's fine, of course!

EDIT: This comment might answer one of your questions: https://greaterthangames.com/comment/126580#comment-126580 . Playtesting for Spirit Island is now finished, so it probably only makes sense to sign up if you're interested in future games.