The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Deck Building -- tie for zero?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Deck Building -- tie for zero?

Just played a five-way game of DB:The DB game and it ended in a five-way tie at zero points. Someone who felt they were behind intentionally ended the game when no one could score.

Is this legal? Have I missed a rule somewhere in which the game only ends if the player who has no cards also has a valid deck?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm guessing he ended the game by emptying a pile?   If they did so by building a deck I don't know how it resulted in zero points.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Perhaps I didn't look at the rules carefully enough. I thought you could end the game by simply having no cards. If you also have to have a scorable-deck, that solves the problem right there.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000

I could be wrong as I don't have the rules in front of me but I suppose it could be possible to end the game without having a scorable deck.   However, it seems odd that they would rush like that and not have a scorable deck.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

If a draw is better than losing, it's a rational decision =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Powerhound_2000

So whenever the other player runs out of cards to play the rest of the round would still be played out (if this person was first everyone else at the tbsle still gets one turn).  So if you've still got a turn in that round I'd hope you have enough to finish a scoring deck since I imagine you might keep a closer check on what remains in his deck.  

Powerhound_2000

MigrantP wrote:

I get in some games but this one is silly and short enough that forcing a draw seems cheap.  

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

MigrantP wrote:

I get in some games but this one is silly and short enough that forcing a draw seems cheap.  

I'd rather see a short, silly game end in a forced draw than a long, drawn-out one.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

But it doesn't take much time to build a scorable deck and end it.  I would house rule that the person forfeits and everyone can continue in a 3+ player game.