The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Any favorite spirits so far?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester
Any favorite spirits so far?

Of the four spirits available in the PnP version, does anyone have any favorites, either in playstyle, art, or general theme? My favorite in terms of playstyle is hands down Vital Strength of the Earth. The slow but relentless presence deployment really suits me, and I love gathering up Dahan into my places of power to create forts across the land.

My favorite spirit art has to be River Surges in Sunlight. I love the juxtaposition of a gentle spirit nurturing the land and an angry flood washing away entire towns.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I'm gonna be a jerk and say that my favourite spirit is one that isn't in the PnP. Or the base game. :-P

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

This Community Overlord thing is getting to your head Craig

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

No it's not.

BANNED!

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I really enjoy Vital Strength of Earth, but I'm a very support-style person.

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Heh, imagine "working" for him... angel

Nah, just kidding.

Uh, I said I was kidding, Craig. Craig! Seriously, put away the chain!!! AAAAH!!!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Craig wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

No it's not.BANNED!

You can't do that! are the most wonderful Community Overlord ever!  I agree with Craig's choice!

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

My favotite is River Surges, although I also really like Shadows and Lightning.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Mechanically, I find I like Lightning's Swift Strike the least so far. It is fun to play, but I've played the blow everything up type people before. I guess I appreciate the subtly at which the other three can operate. But I suppose you can't blame a lightning bird for lacking subtlety.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It's been quite awhile since I last played Spirit Island and I know they have changed since I last played. However, the spirit I remember liking most in the PnP, Lightning's Swift Strike is my favorite. I like rushing in and wrecking things.

While the ones that will be avaliable once the game ships, Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island is wicked awesome.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm a big fan of River myself, but they are all fun in different ways. I love how different they all feel.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I also love the diversity! Lightning is easiest to comprehend, because Fast actions are just easier to pick up on, but I kind of prefer the uncertain planning necessary to use slower powers.

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

My favorite so far is the Earth. I want to like the Lightning Spirit, but I always feel like I make next to no progress because people keep wanting me to use Lightning's Boon on them

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

VisforYoshi wrote:
My favorite so far is the Earth. I want to like the Lightning Spirit, but I always feel like I make next to no progress because people keep wanting me to use Lightning's Boon on them
I have no problem with that, I love helping out other people! I do try to tell them the others that I can't really use it every turn, though.
grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I could easily go down the list and explain why each one is my favorite. I think that it's the wealth of diversity that I appreaciate the most; the spirits really feel different from each other and express their power in dramatically different ways.

That said, River Surges in Sunlight is probably my favorite of the low complexity spirits. I find the indirect action really satisfying.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Ya, slowly building up an army of Dahan is quite fun. I also love how the mechanics completely reinforce the story of each spirit. Shadow lurks in the jungles, picking off small band of explorers who venture to far beyond the protective walls of their cities. Lightning comes surging out of the sky, blowing apart houses and leaving the survivors to survey the shattered remnants of what was once their town.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

grysqrl wrote:

That said, River Surges in Sunlight is probably my favorite of the low complexity spirits. I find the indirect action really satisfying.

I think it's the board control I like too - and it's so much fun to nudge things into the range of another spirit who happens to have exactly the right card but is that little bit too far away.

I really rather enjoy my Dahan breeding projects too. ;)

And a fully-powered-up River can be extremely stompy and destructive too, which is a nice change of pace if you get there.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Spread of Verdant Green is my favorite.  Don't know if that is one of the pnp ones.  Just love the idea of grass growing tall, and not safe.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The PNP is the four low-complexity spirits. Spread of Rampant Green isn't in it.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Ya, so quit it with your fancy smancy high compexity spirits.