The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Group Buys

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mezike
Mezike's picture
Group Buys

The title says it all really! I'm based in London/Surrey UK (TW postcode) and happy to lead or be part of a group buy for the Kickstarter. Fortunately the postage is much better than previous Kickstarters but still around twenty quid so there are some savings to be had.

Post here if interested, or if you want to set up a group buy elsewhere.

also on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1440371/uk-group-buy

Seeing as we have already devolved into silliness again, I'll keep a running total up the top here as well on BGG. A couple of ground rules: I promise to handle an unlimited number of copies for collection from either an Isleworth gamenight or to within the locale of Kew Gardens tube station. Beyond this I will handle up to seven postal addresses unless we get a hundred people or more onboard, in which case Andy will personally sail those boxes across the Atlantic on the back of a herd of friendly Dolphins while proudly waving both the Stars and Stripes and Union Jack as he goes.

Postal members:
1. Silverleaf x2 Copies
2. Moocifer
3. CRennie
4. Tarnop
5. Shadowruin
6. tmgergo
7. Palemoon x2 Copies

Collection members (unlimited):
Mezike
TehRochi (IBG)
Woodnoggin (Sheffield or LoB)
BlueHairedMeerkat (LoB)
Ameena (LoB)

Current potential collection hubs: Halifax (Tarnop), Chesterfield (Silverleaf), Sheffield (Silverleaf), Glasgow/Edinburgh (Shadowruin), Devon (Palemoon)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I love group buys!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Mezike
Mezike's picture

smiley

btw Paul (or Craig), can you confirm what the weight of the game is likley to be in it's current form? Postage rates in the UK change when a package goes over 2Kg (roughly 4.4lbs) Granted, the weight will increase with stretch goals added but a good guideline to start with would help me with more accurate shipping quotes.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

The weight should be under 2kg for the core game, but if all of the stretch goals are unlocked it will definitely go over.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yes, I'm definitely up for saving on postage. ;) Not sure how many copies yet, will check with my group.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I am in for a single copy!

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I want to fly to the UK and play a game of Spirit Island w/ Mezike, Silverleaf, and BlueHairedMeerkat. I also want Paul there so we can go drink beer together. The rest of you are, of course, welcome to join us in the beer drinking.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

I want to fly to the UK and play a game of Spirit Island w/ Mezike, Silverleaf, and BlueHairedMeerkat. I also want Paul there so we can go drink beer together. The rest of you are, of course, welcome to join us in the beer drinking.

IN FACT, I offer you this crazy and possibly serious challenge. If you can get 100 people to buy Spirit Island as one huge group buy, I will fly to the UK and play Spirit Island with you.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

All 100 at once? That's a big island.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

arenson9 wrote:
arenson9 wrote:

IN FACT, I offer you this crazy and possibly serious challenge. If you can get 100 people to buy Spirit Island as one huge group buy, I will fly to the UK and play Spirit Island with you.

As long as you don't choose the time when I'm in Texas for BGG.CON...

Akso, if I order 3 copies do I count as three people?

Damn it, Ronway!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Are you planing on hiding in the giant box all of those games would have to be packed into? Do we have to call you 'Waldo' now?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

grysqrl wrote:

That's practically all the population of the UK, right?

Damn it, Ronway!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

As long as you don't choose the time when I'm in Texas for BGG.CON...Akso, if I order 3 copies do I count as three people? 

Only if you start talking to yourself.

edit: also, jealouses in your direction.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Mezike wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
As long as you don't choose the time when I'm in Texas for BGG.CON...Akso, if I order 3 copies do I count as three people? 

Only if you start talking to yourself.edit: also, jealouses in your direction.

If it makes you any less jealous, it'll be my first con and first time in the States. Almost certainly my last time in the States too, as money is a thing.

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if that would work. Each spirit would naturally be working in a fairly limited area. Board layout would be a fun problem. I'm imagining something like a bingo caller announcing the fear cards and terrains.
Mezike
Mezike's picture

It is a thing, and unfortunately such a small and pitiful thing at that.

I hope you have a totally awesome time smiley

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Also, I'm happy to be a collection hub if that helps. I'm in Chesterfield and my boyfriend works in Sheffield so we could cover those areas easily.

Damn it, Ronway!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

grysqrl wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if that would work. Each spirit would naturally be working in a fairly limited area. Board layout would be a fun problem. I'm imagining something like a bingo caller announcing the fear cards and terrains.

Wouldn't be a problem. You just need a really long banquet table and stack the map tiles in pairs in a long row, like the 4-player island, but 50 pairs instead of 2 pairs. Then, all 100 people play as Shadows Flicker Like Flame (with its flexible targeting), and mayhem ensues. It will be a very scary, disorganized island.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:
Wouldn't be a problem. You just need a really long banquet table and stack the map tiles in pairs in a long row, like the 4-player island, but 50 pairs instead of 2 pairs.
Nah, that's too boring. The coast line should like at least a little like a real coast line, with branching and bays and the like.
grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So, what you're saying is that you'd prefer to play on the floor.

Actually, I was just thinking that it would be interesting to have a single game with multiple islands and some (possibly costly) way for spirits to jump their presence from one island to the next.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:
So, what you're saying is that you'd prefer to play on the floor.
I actually had a vision of a hall with branching tables. Of course the tables would need to be based on triangular patterns, to fit the basically rhombus shape of the boards, like these:

http://www.coordination-berlin.com/?p=1717&lang=en

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Quote:
Actually, I was just thinking that it would be interesting to have a single game with multiple islands and some (possibly costly) way for spirits to jump their presence from one island to the next.
That sounds a little more practical. You wouldn't necessarily have to coordinate all the tables.
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Mezike wrote:

It is a thing, and unfortunately such a small and pitiful thing at that.I hope you have a totally awesome time smiley

I am totally planning to have the best time ever.

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

I want to know how much shipping and handling will be if I just drive the hour and a half to gtg hq during business hours and pick it up. :)

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Mezike
Mezike's picture

morph147 wrote:

I want to know how much shipping and handling will be if I just drive the hour and a half to gtg hq during business hours and pick it up. :)

I'd happily do that too, except it might take slightly longer than an hour and a half plus the upholstery would get all damp.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Mezike wrote:
morph147 wrote:

I'd happily do that too, except it might take slightly longer than an hour and a half plus the upholstery would get all damp.

Same, except I can't drive and don't own a vehicle.

Damn it, Ronway!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just hang out for a few (~10) months after BGG Con. It'll take way less than that to walk to St. Louis; no driving necessary!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

grysqrl wrote:

Just hang out for a few (~10) months after BGG Con. It'll take way less than that to walk to St. Louis; no driving necessary!

*checks if there's any difficult terrain between Dallas and St Louis, like mountains or deserts or big lakes or anything - nope, fine*

Well, that's do-able. ~665 miles, 9 days 3 hours of continuous walking. I don't need to sleep or rest, right? I can sleep when I get to St Louis - the >GTG guys won't even notice me bedding down in a box of Mr Chomps plushies, and I can sustain myself on leftover Taco Bell office lunches and sneaky sips of Christopher's Ardbeg, stolen after everyone's gone home for the night.

Damn it, Ronway!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Mezike wrote:

2. BlueHairedMeerkat (possible LoB collection?)

Yeah, I can do London on Board pick-up and free up the postage slot for someone more in need :)

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I totally didn't "walk" the route via Google Maps.* Oh my goodness, I know I should be grateful for my BGG.CON trip, but my only regret is that I won't get to see anything more of the country than Dallas Fort Worth airport and a bit of Dallas. I continue to curse my lack of money.

* I totally did.

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

Silverleaf wrote:

grysqrl wrote:

*checks if there's any difficult terrain between Dallas and St Louis, like mountains or deserts or big lakes or anything - nope, fine*Well, that's do-able. ~665 miles, 9 days 3 hours of continuous walking. I don't need to sleep or rest, right? I can sleep when I get to St Louis - the >GTG guys won't even notice me bedding down in a box of Mr Chomps plushies, and I can sustain myself on leftover Taco Bell office lunches and sneaky sips of Christopher's Ardbeg, stolen after everyone's gone home for the night.

that requires you to go thru Arkansas. Trust me from experience, you do not want to go to Arkansas.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

morph147 wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
 grysqrl wrote:

*checks if there's any difficult terrain between Dallas and St Louis, like mountains or deserts or big lakes or anything - nope, fine*Well, that's do-able. ~665 miles, 9 days 3 hours of continuous walking. I don't need to sleep or rest, right? I can sleep when I get to St Louis - the >GTG guys won't even notice me bedding down in a box of Mr Chomps plushies, and I can sustain myself on leftover Taco Bell office lunches and sneaky sips of Christopher's Ardbeg, stolen after everyone's gone home for the night.

that requires you to go thru Arkansas. Trust me from experience, you do not want to go to Arkansas.

It's a price I'm willing to pay.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Woo, this whole thread has sprung up since I last logged on yesterday :D. I'm interested - it's been ages since the last >G Kickstarter so I've forgotten. What do I do, back the Kickstarter and add a note saying it needs to be sent to Mezike rather than me or something?

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Ameena wrote:

Woo, this whole thread has sprung up since I last logged on yesterday :D. I'm interested - it's been ages since the last >G Kickstarter so I've forgotten. What do I do, back the Kickstarter and add a note saying it needs to be sent to Mezike rather than me or something?

For group buys, typically one person makes a pledge with the total for all the people, and then you'd actually pay that person.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Yes, Craig has the right of it. I'll pay for everyone's pledges and then you can pay me for your share (around £34) after the KS has closed.

morph147

morph147 wrote:

btw Craig and others on the GTG, I actually ment this as a serious question.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

morph147 wrote:
morph147 wrote:

We don't offer local pickup. We're just not logistically set up for that.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Craig wrote:
morph147 wrote:
morph147 wrote:

KREGG WANTS ME TO STARVE TO DEATH

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

Craig wrote:

morph147 wrote:
morph147 wrote:

sad face. Ok. I understand

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I totally didn't "walk" the route via Google Maps.* Oh my goodness, I know I should be grateful for my BGG.CON trip, but my only regret is that I won't get to see anything more of the country than Dallas Fort Worth airport and a bit of Dallas. I continue to curse my lack of money. * I totally did.

I mostly agree about Arkansas, but the Ozarks are rather pretty. Much of the rest of your trip would likely be through the plains, which are called that for a reason. (You are aware of the Annals of Improbable Research study from a decade or so ago demonstrating that "Kansas is Flatter Than a Pancake" right?)

If you were going to be here a month or two earlier than you really are, I'd endorse trying to go to what is often referred to as northern lower Michigan. The stretch between Traverse City and the Mackinac Bridge is some of the most beautiful country I've ever been privileged to witness, especially when the fall colors are in full swing. I've been to more of the country than many citizens of the US, so I think I come by that opinion honestly, although I am perhaps biased from having grown up farther south in Michigan. (The official forecasts for this year are peak colors the weekends of 10/10 and 17/10.)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

jffdougan wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
I totally didn't "walk" the route via Google Maps.* Oh my goodness, I know I should be grateful for my BGG.CON trip, but my only regret is that I won't get to see anything more of the country than Dallas Fort Worth airport and a bit of Dallas. I continue to curse my lack of money. * I totally did.

I mostly agree about Arkansas, but the Ozarks are rather pretty. Much of the rest of your trip would likely be through the plains, which are called that for a reason. (You are aware of the Annals of Improbable Research study from a decade or so ago demonstrating that "Kansas is Flatter Than a Pancake" right?)If you were going to be here a month or two earlier than you really are, I'd endorse trying to go to what is often referred to as northern lower Michigan. The stretch between Traverse City and the Mackinac Bridge is some of the most beautiful country I've ever been privileged to witness, especially when the fall colors are in full swing. I've been to more of the country than many citizens of the US, so I think I come by that opinion honestly, although I am perhaps biased from having grown up farther south in Michigan. (The official forecasts for this year are peak colors the weekends of 10/10 and 17/10.)

I'm from a pretty hilly place so flat plains would be a novelty to me!

As I was "walking" on Google Maps I remember thinking, "Why is it so flat? Where are all the trees?" and then I realised I was in Kansas. ;)

I would love love love to see anything new like that though. Shame it probably won't ever happen!

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay Mezike, that sounds cool. If it's you doing all the pledges on behalf of all of us, though, how do we see new updates on the Kickstarter page? Don't they tend to be for pledgers only? Also we wouldn't get e-mails telling us when there is an update :(.

I am the Wordweaver...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I will email/pm you within 24hrs of every backer only update - you won't miss a thing!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Ameena wrote:

Okay Mezike, that sounds cool. If it's you doing all the pledges on behalf of all of us, though, how do we see new updates on the Kickstarter page? Don't they tend to be for pledgers only? Also we wouldn't get e-mails telling us when there is an update :(.

If you want to comment on the KS and get updates directly from it as well you can pledge one dollar to the project.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Sure, except with currency exchange fees $1 ends up becoming £2 or £3! It's the magic money multiplier from your favourite high street bank. Fair point though!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

You can always cancel your $1 pledge before the project ends, if you just want updates during the campaign itself.

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

It looks like GtG tends not to do backer-only updates.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

That's true. I won't worry about missing anything, then :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Yeah, backer-only updates are shady business, in my opinion. The only reason we'd do one if it had a link to something just for backers, but the information from updates should be from everyone!

We'll probably end up doing a backer-only update as part of the Sentinel Comics RPG Kickstarter, but that's about it. 

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

Sentinel Comics RPG Kickstarter

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Okay, I'm in for two copies, if that's cool Mezike?

Also if you're reading, hi Chris. :)

Damn it, Ronway!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

We're up to fourteen members now with a couple of fence-sitters who have not yet committed to joining us (the mad fools!)

Not quite enough to get Andy over for a game then, but maybe adequate for a postcard picture so he can join us in spirit. Just a note for anyone still thinking about whether or not to join that I will close this group buy to new members next Wednesday (two days before the KS closes).

Pages