The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

seeing full picture of tactics maps

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
morph147
seeing full picture of tactics maps

Question directed at greater than games team,

I saw on the kickstarter today the picture of the maps but could only see partials on 3 of them due to stacking them. Is there anyway we can get a sneak peak at the full map of each before they ship?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Once we get all the maps in and they're ready to go out, I'll do an update with pictures of all of them.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

morph147

Thank you

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

tarsonas

Any idea when they will be shipped? Haven't heard anything in a couple weeks.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

After PAX, unfortunately :(

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

waedens
Playtester

Any chance of seeing the maps and what comes with them yet? 

morph147

Second this. We need spoilers to tie us over so we don't attack the mail man

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Those look super fun.  Also super cramped, which may also be super fun.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

AZ definitely enjoys the cramped quarters.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Donner wrote:

Spiff wrote:

AZ definitely enjoys the cramped quarters.

In Tactics he does.  In SotM, AZ hates Cramped Quarters Combat.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

waedens
Playtester

Great! Thanks! Any chance for some spoilers about the scenarios that come with the maps?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

waedens wrote:

Great! Thanks! Any chance for some spoilers about the scenarios that come with the maps?

There aren't any. At least, I didn't get scenarios.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

Silverleaf wrote:

waedens wrote:

There aren't any. At least, I didn't get scenarios.

wait I thought there was suppose to be. Any comment from gtg team on this?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

From what I remember (could be wrong) the scenario thing was actually referring to scenario rules, and they were debating putting actual scenarios on the map but decided against it because it made it look really cluttered and crappy.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

From when I saw them at Gen Con, there are a number of specific rules on the map.

But I'd also love to see some scenarios! Maybe someone could take a stab at designing some over at BGG?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yeah, there are rules for special hazards and features (elevators, teleporters, conveyor belts, propulsion systems, etc).

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

They told us at Gen Con that the scenarios will be available online at some point. (My thought: Packaging scenarios with the maps wasn't really viable or cost effective.)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

waedens
Playtester

I can't complain. Based on what I paid for them I am going to get my money's worth and more. 

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Yeah, they initially said: "Additionally, the poster maps will have scenario information printed right on the maps! You don't necessarily have to use the scenarios to play on the maps, but you certainly can! These maps aren't just places to battle - they are story content as well."  I guess it wasn't practical or aesthetically pleasing to fit all that on the maps themselves, so they just included info about particular hexes, but it would be nice to get some downloadable scenarios in the future. 

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

For what it's worth, I know there has been scenario type things written for the maps. I can't speak to distribution methods, though, other than they're obviously not printed on the maps themselves.

waedens
Playtester

Interesting, was anything related to the maps sent out for play testing? If not there is a real opportunity for a fan contest to come up with official scenarios for the maps.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Playtesters have seen as much of the maps as you have.  (At least forum playtesting)

Probably one reason they aren't coming with scenarios is the delay playtesting those scenarios would have introduced to multiple things.

The only changes to thecoriginal map tiles from playtesting was elevation 4 being introduced, but I think they were already heading that direction.  

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I feel very lackluster about these new maps. Not worth my purchase, unfortunately. The biggest draw to the maps from my camp was the story aspect they would come with (in fact, the biggest draw to the entire system for me was the story and not even the game). The fact that scenarios were promised and not included is super shady, in my opinion. I can't recall it ever being communicated that scenarios would no longer be included over on the KickStarter (or here, really, but there are many pages to scroll through, I suppose), and that seems shady, too. Having backed several KS projects, I understand that things change over the course of production, but it's nice to know these things before you break open the seal...

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I couldn't recall if it was said the maps would come with scenarios or not so I looked through updates and found it was stated here that maps would have scenarios on them https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactics-the-flame-of-freedom/posts/818917

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I couldn't recall if it was said the maps would come with scenarios or not so I looked through updates and found it was stated here that maps would have scenarios on them https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactics-the-flame-...

Yeah, I did the same to make sure I wasn't going crazy. It's pretty upsetting to me, honestly. I know the price was way reduced from the MSRP, but it's still money I wouldn't have spent at all had I known it would just be grids. I was so excited to see what kind of story would take place in the brand new Citadel of the Sun, too. My biggest disappointment, truly, is simply not knowing that they had changed their minds and why....

Powerhound_2000

I'm not sure either what happened to the scenarios but according to Luther who designed the game that there are scenarios.

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

For what it's worth, I know there has been scenario type things written for the maps. I can't speak to distribution methods, though, other than they're obviously not printed on the maps themselves.

Hopefully some more information about these missing scenarios is given once the shipping is done.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

They didn't want to put the actual scenarios on the map, for appearance, also whatever they have is not tested by the forum playtesting, so maybe that is being delayed and they shipped the maps without waiting for scenarios.

Powerhound_2000

I can understand that but it seems odd it wasn't mentioned in any update.  

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I have to admit feeling disappointed that I didn't get what I actually pledged for, so I'm very much hoping that we'll get downloadable scenarios soon.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I hope we get to playtest them first.  We have 2 scenarios too many that are flawed.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

I hope we get to playtest them first.  We have 2 scenarios too many that are flawed.

Seems like the perfect opportunity to make up for it by opening up that playtesting again for us who pledged for something we didn't get! wink

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Shouldn't be too hard for the community here to come up with a whole bunch of scenario-type reasons people are fighting in each of those locations.  The cramped quarters of the maps and the fact that there is no elevation to hide behind should make fights there really feel different than on regular tiled maps.  Come up with a countdown scenario for a volcano eruption or a "protect the macguffin" scenario in the FF Tower, and you're good to go.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

grim88

Did anyone else's maps have a lot of...fuzzies on them? Around the edges? I can only assume so, since all four of mine had them.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have not yet received any maps ...

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000

KS update:

Quote:

Hey, everyone! Fulfillment of the Minions minis and map packs is moving along, albeit a little more slowly than we'd like due to a few things out of our control. If you haven't gotten a tracking number yet, hang tight and that will be coming very soon!

We also have a bit of an apology to make. We had said that there would be scenarios on the maps, and many of your have noticed that this is not the case. During the process of producing these maps, we discovered that, in order for any text to be legible, it had to be printed in absolutely huge font. You'll notice how big the text is on those maps; that's how big they had to be in order to be read. That made printing an entire scenario highly impractical, so we decided that they would be produced in a downloadable format. This is where the apology comes in: we really should have informed you of this, and we're very sorry that we did not.

That being said, you're still getting scenarios! They'll be out in a downloadable format by the end of this year. And since they're not going to be the maps themselves, it frees us up to do some more exciting things with them!

Thanks for understanding, everyone.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

But...I don't understand! sad

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

If you understand, say "understand." If you don't understand, say "don't understand." But if you understand and say "don't understand" how will I understand that you understand? Understand?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

morph147

K. I am glad we got an official response on this. Hopefully they get here sooner than later

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

If you understand, say "understand." If you don't understand, say "don't understand." But if you understand and say "don't understand" how will I understand that you understand? Understand?

See, but THIS I understand...or don't I?!

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

As a clarification, the Kickstarter update last full paragraph should read "not going to be _printed on_ the maps themselves".