The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Deck Building questions - purchase/build & stairs

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture
Deck Building questions - purchase/build & stairs

I played a 4-player game of Deck Building tonight with some new players and some questions came up.

Suppose you have 4 screws in your hand. You buy a card that costs 4 screws. Clearly you cannot buy another card. But can you still build a card from your hand? The rule book does not say otherwise, so we've been playing that you can.

A question came up about what stairs were worth for purchasing other cards. Re-checking the rule book now, I see that it does mention that stairs are not worth any screws.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The Grills if you have them in hand aren't worth any screws either.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:

Suppose you have 4 screws in your hand. You buy a card that costs 4 screws. Clearly you cannot buy another card. But can you still build a card from your hand? The rule book does not say otherwise, so we've been playing that you can.

Why wouldn't you be able to?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Because in most deck building games that I've played, those cards would have been considered to be already "used up" for the turn. A strict reading of the rule book indicates that you can still use them, but a confirmation would be nice.

Another thing I noticed was the rule book specifies the requirements for purchasing twice in a turn, but not for purchasing 3 or 4 times. It would make sense that the total screw cost of all cards purchased may not exceed the total amount of screws in your hand. But by a strict reading of the rules, that's not the case.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:

Because in most deck building games that I've played, those cards would have been considered to be already "used up" for the turn. A strict reading of the rule book indicates that you can still use them, but a confirmation would be nice.

Fair point, and now that I think about it, I had the same question at first. FWIW, I had it confirmed by Christopher, Adam, and Paul when they taught me.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Using the screws to buy cards does not mean the card those screws came from cannot be built.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Thanks for the confirmation.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Thanks Christopher!