The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The Kickstarter is Coming

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul
Paul's picture
Admin
The Kickstarter is Coming

The Kickstarter is coming this month! It will launch the morning of 22 September! Craig will make a post to that effect in the next few days!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Very excited!

Here's hoping we can build back into that buzz we had about a year ago...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

We can all help by spreading the word, especially those of us who have been playtesting it and know how awesome it is!

My group are very enthusiastic about getting a copy. :)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Count me on the super-pumped side!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm pretty excited about this. Christopher is personally excited about this and considering the games he has made this has me interested in this as well.    It was a brief overview at Origins but he took time he didn't have to going through various components in this game with my son and me.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

cmschex
Playtester

I've never really gotten time to PT this but ever since Brathwaite demo'd it for me at PAX South I have been waiting anxiously for this one.  I found the game fascinating and and can't wait to get the final copy

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I ran a bunch of demos of this at GenCon. The game was really well received; I only wish there had been time to show more people. It was my first time seeing the art, which is awesome.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Agreed, grysqrl - it really is beautiful stuff.

I'm especially interested in seeing how they've simplified the base set...

Yeah, I'm really excited! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm dying to see all the art!

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

anyone know what the cost will be yet?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Powerhound_2000

We won't know for sure until the kickstarter is launched but I would guess 30 to 40 dollars for the main game.  It could be more if they have a planned expansion already or other game addons. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

morph147

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

We won't know for sure until the kickstarter is launched but I would guess 30 to 40 dollars for the main game.  It could be more if they have a planned expansion already or other game addons. 

K. That was my guess too since G>G doesnt really have anything over 40 for a single product. This will depend though on if I can do the kickstarter and if wife will let me. Shes currently mad because of all the other stuff I have preordered to this point that hasnt shown up yet, which is why I had to wait on New Bedford. Hopefully those sentinel tactics maps show up soon so I can stop listening to her yell at me about it.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

I am pretty excited for this as well. After all, GtG has proven that they can make a top notch co-op game

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

The MSRP of the core game will be $49.95. It will contain 8 spirits as well as various adversaries and scenarios for more advanced play.

For Kickstarter backers, the basic pledge level will be $49 plus shipping, which will include a promo spirit that will only be available on KS and at conventions. We also have a variety of free stretch goals for backers that will upgrade components to custom-sculpted plastic pieces for the core game, add another promo spirit, as well as build a free expansion for backers (MSRP $19.95-$29.95) that will contain up to 4 more spirits as well as Events and other advanced gameplay elements.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Will those custom-sculpted plastic pieces be in color?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Any chance of getting the invader pieces metal-impregnated? I've been playing with steel invaders and it's the best.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Plastic pieces? Noooo! I was really hoping for nice wooden ones. Plastic just seems so... unnatural.

Damn it, Ronway!

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

Plastic pieces? Noooo! I was really hoping for nice wooden ones. Plastic just seems so... unnatural.

plastic (or metal) works for me for the invaders, but I really hope the spirits and Dahan are wood. 

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Oh, not to worry! The invaders will all be plastic pieces, but the spirit presence and Dahan huts will be wood. Because that's thematic and awesome.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Christopher wrote:

Oh, not to worry! The invaders will all be plastic pieces, but the spirit presence and Dahan huts will be wood. Because that's thematic and awesome.

Thank goodness for that. :)

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

Paul wrote:

The MSRP of the core game will be $49.95. It will contain 8 spirits as well as various adversaries and scenarios for more advanced play.For Kickstarter backers, the basic pledge level will be $49 plus shipping, which will include a promo spirit that will only be available on KS and at conventions. We also have a variety of free stretch goals for backers that will upgrade components to custom-sculpted plastic pieces for the core game, add another promo spirit, as well as build a free expansion for backers (MSRP $19.95-$29.95) that will contain up to 4 more spirits as well as Events and other advanced gameplay elements.

a little more than I expected but based off what I am hearing, worth it. Now just have to convince my wife to give me 50 dollars. Was hoping for an update on the maps since she is kinda mad at me over ordering stuff and stuff not showing up yet. Doesn't understand what end of the year means

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@morph147

The maps just got to our warehouse and will be shipped out over the course of the next few weeks! They might all be out before the KS launches, and you will definitely have them before it ends :)

morph147

Paul wrote:

@morph147The maps just got to our warehouse and will be shipped out over the course of the next few weeks! They might all be out before the KS launches, and you will definitely have them before it ends :)

sounds good. Looking forward to it

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sohappysohappysohappy... laugh

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You do know about the curse, right? Whoever is in the cover of SI is cursed and starts losing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

What the heck is a "canonical island map"?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Powerhound_2000

From the FAQ:

It is a map of the canonical island setting of Spirit Island, which will include a realistic distribution of terrain types and labels of the canonical homes of each of the spirits. The Canonical Island PLAYMAT included at the CHAMPION OF THE DAHAN level will be printed on a durable, roll-able material (either vinyl or cloth; not paper). It will be usable for playing a more thematic (but less balanced in terms of terrain distribution) version of the game.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:
What the heck is a "canonical island map"?
Did you see the FAQ?

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Powerhound_2000

Spirit Island is funded!

morph147

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Spirit Island is funded!

yay now my wife will allow me to participate. she said not until it was funded because she didnt want me spending money that may or may not get funded. lets get those stretch goals now.

Powerhound_2000

That seems odd as you don't get charged for a project pledge unless it actually reaches its funding goal.  

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

morph147 wrote:
Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Spirit Island is funded!

yay now my wife will allow me to participate. she said not until it was funded because she didnt want me spending money that may or may not get funded. lets get those stretch goals now.

Sound like one or both of you don't understand how Kickstarter works...

Damn it, Ronway!

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

morph147 wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Spirit Island is funded!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

-Shigeru Miyamoto

morph147

Silverleaf wrote:

morph147 wrote:
Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Spirit Island is funded!

Sound like one or both of you don't understand how Kickstarter works...

since I have never done it before then correct, no clue. 

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
since I have never done it before then correct, no clue. 
Oh! Well then, the principle is that Kickstarter is for things that need a certain amount of money to go forward. As such, when you make a pledge, your credit card is not charged; instead, a hold is put on your account. If the Kickstarter is unsuccessful (does not reach its funding goal), none of the credit cards are charged. Only if the Kickstarter succeeds are the credit cards charged, and then only at the end of the campaign (in about 3 week in this case).

The major risk is not that the Kickstarter will fail (because you don't give any money in that case), but that the Kickstarter will meet its funding goals, but then end up not delivering the product they promised. That's a pretty small risk with a well-established company like Greater than Games.

Anyway, glad you can join the Kickstarter!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

There are a lot of people who won't back something until it funds, a lot of them don't want failure on their backer list.

Powerhound_2000

I've certainly seen that but the impression I got from morph147 is that he and his wife thought the money would get charged regardless of successful funding.   For Kickstarter that isn't the case ever  but I do know other crowdfunding sites allow you still collect even if you don't reach the funding goal.  

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

The first stretch goal has been reached! Huzzahs are in order

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Rolld20

Hurray for stretch marks!  Or goals, whatever.  ;)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Well and truly awesome - I have just realized that I get paid again before the close of the campaign.

seesome
seesome's picture

To be fair, not all crowd-funding sites work the same.  With Kickstarter, your pledge isn't charged until the end of the campaign and only if the campaign was usccessful.  With indiegogo, OTOH, your pledge is charged when you make it whether or not the final goal is met.  That site works fine for me when the pledge is for some swag that goes with a donation I'm making to a cause/creator I want to support, but it doesn't make as much sense for backing something like a boardgame where you need to get a certain minimum to actually print the thing.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Hooray for the canonical maps!

Powerhound_2000

Any chance of GtG or some reviewer with a PnP copy will post a video of full gameplay before the campaign ends?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Any chance of GtG or some reviewer with a PnP copy will post a video of full gameplay before the campaign ends?

We're working through the possibility.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

For what it's worth, I second this. For me, the ideal video would be an introduction type video, but with each player saying why they're doing what they're doing as well.

EDIT: grammar