The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Quick Question(Or Beginner's questions)

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester
Quick Question(Or Beginner's questions)

Pardon, just a quick question.

When Legacy performs Flying Smash, does he also damage himself?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

No, targets are immune to their own attacks.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Okay. But can't Ambuscade be hurt by his own explosives? Does the attack from those count as coming from the explosives themselves?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I can't remember off hand, but are the explosives also a target? If not, then Ambuscade will not be hurt.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Ambuscade's Explosives are not targets. So he can step on his own explosives all willy-nilly? But wasn't he hurt by one of his own explosives in a tournament(I'm sorry, I can't remember which) after being thrown onto one?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Sorry, I have watched very little of the tournaments. If Ambuscade was hurt by one of his explosions then it may have been an error on the judges behalf, explosives may be an exemption I am not aware of, or someone redirected the damage.

Deimir

The text on Rigged Explosives says that the attack originates from the explosive itself (exact wording below). I would be inclined to say that he is actually vulnerable to the attack. Same with the text on Automated Hunter.

"...flip the trap and remove it. If it is an explosive, it first makes this attack."

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

From Spiff's Sentinel Tactics FAQ:

Ambuscade will trigger his own traps if he enters a hex with a trap marker (because he’s a target moving into the trap’s hex), and the explosion could hurt his allies if they are within range of the explosion, but as mentioned in the “who’s making the attack?” section of this FAQ, since the traps don’t have hp, their attack is actually being made by ambuscade himself and characters are immune to their own attacks, so the traps cannot damage ambuscade. https://greaterthangames.com/comment/81702#comment-81702

Also, I didn't see it in the FAQ, but I recall the ruling on Automated Hunter being that since Automated Hunter is _NOT_ a separate target, Ambuscade can not be hurt by its attack. 

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

That actually came up in the PAX South tournament.  Ambuscade tried to commit suicide through his own remote drone.  It was ruled that he could not hurt himself that way.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Attacks each have a target as a source. Targets can't damage (or affect) themselves with attacks.

Ambuscade's various explosives aren't targets, so the attacks "they" make, are made by Ambuscade. Thus, he's immune to their effects. Contrast this with Unity, for example -- her bots are targets, so she's not immune to their attacks.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Luther is totally right as usual!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

That's for the help, everyone!

More questions I have:

With melee attacks against Omnitron(who is always one elevation higher) I'm guessing rolls of 1 never hit?

Since they are his own attacks, Ambuscade can 'Aim' his explosives, correct?  and since he can only aim one attack, it would have to be against one selective target for each 'Aim' I use, right?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Phantom5613 wrote:

That's for the help, everyone!More questions I have:With melee attacks against Omnitron(who is always one elevation higher) I'm guessing rolls of 1 never hit?Since they are his own attacks, Ambuscade can 'Aim' his explosives, correct?  and since he can only aim one attack, it would have to be against one selective target for each 'Aim' I use, right?

If you are on elevation two and attacking a hex that Omnitron is on that is elevation one, then your effective range is only one.

Yes, Ambuscade can aim his explosives, and yes an aimed attack only ever applies the effect of the aim against the first target that defends that attack.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

I'm gonna hijack this for a noob question:

Like in SotM, can I choose the order of resolution?

Proletariat can, if Powered right, rather than take 2 or more damage, take 1 less damage and duplicate himself. Proletariat can also, if Powered right, rather than take 2 or more damage, ignore the attack and remove a duplicate.

Can I do both? Take 3 damage, which creates a duplicate, reduces to 2 damage, then gets ignored by removing the duplicate I just created?

Thanks.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

You can use one of the powers or the other, not both.  The first one you choose will either negate the damage (preventing the other from triggering) or reduce the damage to 1 (so it no longer meets the minimum 2 damage requirement).

Any other true resolution issues are decided by the player who's turn it is (the order targets are hit in an area attack, etc.)

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

I believe he misread one of the powers. It reduces the damage TO 1, not BY 1.

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Yep. Sure did. Carry on everyone.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote