The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Captcha is so frustrating...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nihilistiskism
Nihilistiskism's picture
Captcha is so frustrating...

I'm just curious why the forums require a captcha to be entered every single time you post. I find that quite...irritating, and, frankly, it's an incentive to not speak your mind/post when you normally would, because that one extra step is just an added, and, in my opinion, unnecessary frustration to the message-board system. Petition for removal, or is there a good reason for its existence? Rather than the captcha system, what I've found to work better on other forums is a) a required confirmation of existence via email to the registered email address, and b) an imposed limitation on posting until a requirement (posting a quick "hello" in a "new users" section) has been met. Honestly, captcha's are frustrating because I can never see the letters clearly on a single image (forcing me to cycle the images until I get one I can read).

-nihil

"Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel; but being in,
Bear't that th' opposed may beware of thee."
-Polonius

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Captcha requirement?  I don't ever remember having to enter any captchas on this site from the moment I used it (even registration).  Maybe it's something newly added after that massive spam attack we had a bit ago, probably only added to new people / people with few posts.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Nihilistiskism
Nihilistiskism's picture

That would be an acceptable explanation. I was unaware there was recently a massive spam-attack. Ah, well, then. Hopefully the requirement goes away for me soon

And, actually, it seems to have done just that, already. Huh. Weird. :-P

-nihil

"Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel; but being in,
Bear't that th' opposed may beware of thee."
-Polonius

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Yeah that is exactly what it is.  For your first 2 posts, you have to pass a captcha, but then it goes away.  That got enabled in an attempt to avoid any more weird spam posts :P

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It does seem like it's been effective. Granted, I'm being pretty diligent about banning bots, but I haven't logged in in the morning to see any spam posts in awhile...

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.