The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question about Citizen Winter and Movement Speed

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
CodieH
CodieH's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester
Question about Citizen Winter and Movement Speed

Hey guys, looking for some clarification on a question I have about Citizen Winter.

Is she able to knock another player's movement value down to zero? I had was playing in a three on one match (I was part of the three) where I was playing Omnitron-V, you know the one with the abysmal movement roles, and my opponent had Citizen Dawn with Citizen Winter out. Effectively, Winter kept me at 0 movement speed (mostly due to my poor luck with movement dice and rolling ones). My question comes from just some ambiguity from the rules of movement speed. There are two other characters ( AZ and another who escapes my mind at the moment) who can reduce movement speed. However, those particular powers say that movement can not be reduced by one. Citizen Winter's card does not say this. Is this meant to be or is it just an overlooked error? 

If its not, I think I'm going to be playing less Omnitron into Citizen Dawn, because that's just asking for an Incap

"Quintessential Tactics Experience: Arguing Over Range" - Worlds Tournament 2015

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Hard to say. My initial assumption is that all movement decreasing effects would be consistent so it could be an oversight. However, Citizens having strong unique effects is not out of the ordinary either. 

Remember that OmnitronV still has his Rocket Jump, and if the Dawn player is using Winter instead of some of the other crazy strong Citizens, I'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Deimir

Looks like it's just an oversight in the reminder text. The other effects that reduce move value both say "Move value cannot be reduced below 1." If they said "This power cannot reduce move value below 1," then I would say Winter could actually stop someone dead in their tracks. Also, having a move value of 0 is inconsistent with the way the value is tracked, since you can't turn your d6 to a face that shows a 0.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Citizen Winter can reduce movement to zero. However, this does not prevent sprinting or Rocket Jump-ing.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Citizen Winter can, in fact, reduce her target's Movement Value to 0! That said, her attack isn't unlimited, so she can only do it once per turn. And, as Foote pointed out, that does not prevent Rocket Jumping (if you're Omnitron) or Sprinting (if you're a character who can Sprint).

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

PAUL NINJA'D CHRISTOPHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

At least we know they are on the same page about it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

At least we know they are on the same page about it.  

Indeed. One right above the other, in fact.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Deimir

And now I feel silly. Thought about hedging my wording in case I was wrong, but I was so sure I'd be right...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Best moment in forum history.

I imagine Paul riding swift bot through the internet like a cowboy android sheriff, laughing at the futility of his adversary's smoke bombs.