The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A Hero's Guide to Guise or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
A Hero's Guide to Guise or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

This is my first guide so please be kind.

Best Attack: Look What I Found!
Best Team Support: Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!
Best Personal Support: Best Card Ever!
Primary Damage: Melee
Secondary Damage: Cold, Projectile
Worst Card: Gimmicky Character
Nemesis: Wager Master

Summary:
Guise is a fourth wall breaking shape shifter. He has these powerful forms that only last for a round and then you have to start over. A typical game will have Guise contributing a little for a turn or two and then having explosive turns once he has some of his combos.

I list Gimmicky Character as the worst card since the health gain is minimal and milling cards from your fellow heroes can be frowned upon. Depending on turn order it can be helpful to remove a villain card that was placed on top of that deck. The card play from it is probably more useful used with Selling Out to play an Ongoing.

Attack:
Guise's constant source of damage is his base power which allows him to deal one melee damage. His damaging one shots are Best Card Ever!(Base of two damage), Look What I Found!( three melee damage that can increase next damage by one if the target is still around), and Say Cheese!(one cold damage that allows another card play if the target has 5 or less HP). For his Ongoings only Blatant Reference deals damage and it has the cost of discarding a card for one projectile damage at the end of each hero turn. Guise the Barbarian increases all damage dealt by Guise for a round which gives the most bang for a round with Blatant Reference or with Selling Out and Super Ultra Kawaii!! to play damaging one-shots. With I Can Do That, Too!, Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, or Lemme See That! depending on the group it could give Guise a damaging power(like copying Ra), buff the teams damage(copying Legacy's Ongoings which might include Inspiring Presence), or his own damage (taking Dual Crowbars from Mr. Fixer)

Defense:
The only direct defense in Guise's deck is Total Beefcake which redirects the first damage Guise is dealt each turn but keep in mind it redirects to the non hero target with the lowest health. Also, it should be noted that if there are no valid targets for lowest HP Guise would still take the damage. Depending upon other heroes in the group Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! could also provide defense if playing with likes of Fanatic, Haka, The Naturalist, or Legacy. He could also take defensive equipment from Mr Fixer or Bunker with Lemme See That... they may not always appreciate it. I Can Do That, Too! could also provide defense by copying the Block power from Mainstay.

Utility:
In just his deck without depending upon what teammates have in play, Guise has lots of cards that help in certain situations. He has Ongoing/environment Destruction(Retcon), damage increase(Guise the Barbarian), ignore DR/damage redirection(X-treeeeeeeeme!!!), retrieve a card from trash(Where Did I Leave That...), cards that allow extra draws or card plays, regain small bits of health(Best Card Ever! and Gimmicky Character), and a way to mill a card from all decks which can be helpful for removing a villain card you don't want played(Gimmicky Character). His base power gives him the option to draw or play a card in addition to still dealing a damage.
Guise has two different cards that let him play cards out of turn but do it in different ways between Super Ultra Kawaii! and Selling Out. Both are good for taking advantage of X-treeeeeeeeme!!! and/or Guise the Barbarian as you play those damaging one shots. Selling Out is the only card that let's you react to the most recent card play by the environment turn since it came out before the most recent environment card you can play a Retcon to prevent a damaging effect. Super Ultra Kawaii!! allows Guise to play cards at the end of hero turns as long as he has H cards in hand and that includes his own turn.
His Utility cards that have their usefulness based on the hero team used is Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, Lemme See That..., and I Can Do That, Too! For Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! depending upon what ongoings are in play by teammates it can be beneficial to just Guise or help out the entire team. Legacy with all of his Ongoings in play is one of the best to copy providing a damage buff, other powers to use, and DR. With Lemme See That... Guise is stealing an equipment card from another player for a turn. Depending upon who you're working with this could give you a good power to use (Tactical Shotgun, Drake's Pipe) or a temporary buff for Guise (Staff of Ra, Heavy Plating). Though please make sure to ask your fellow player if they're ok with it before playing as they won't have access to that card for a round(exceptions would be Ongoing Destruction that takes out Lemme See That... or Mr. Fixer putting a tool from his hand into play). I Can Do That, Too! gives Guise the choice to use any hero's base power(i.e. the powers printed on character cards) and thus you can great choices like Galvanize or useless ones for Guise like Transform or Load. The post after this is a section called Shenanigans to list some combos that can be done with those three cards.

Weaknesses:
Turn order can be a possible weakness for Guise. Guise's Ongoings only last until his next turn and to get best use of most of them you want them to last until his next turn. So if facing a villain with mass or regular ongoing destruction you may want to be first in turn order so that his Ongoings can just be fodder. A bigger weakness for him is environments and villains who force discards frequently. Guise like most heroes likes having cards to play but regular discards mean he can't setup his combos as effectively. Villains with DR can be an issue if X-treeeeeeeeme!!! or Guise the Barbarian don't come up as his base power, Blatant Reference, and Say Cheese! only deal one damage. The last piece to keep in mind with Guise is that all of his Ongoings only last a round so getting the best use out of them means you will need multiple different Ongoings to get the best effect. So that may mean on your following turn you may not have as much to do as you build your hand up again.

Teamups:
Surprise! Just like any hero Guise is fond of heroes who can supply him with more cards. He really likes heroes on his team with more useful base powers(like Legacy, Team Leader Tachyon), lots of ongoings(like Legacy, Tempest) or equipment(like Wraith, Bunker, or Expat) so he can make full use of Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, I Can Do That Too!, and Lemme See That...
Ideas for what he can do with some Teamups are in the following post of Guise Shenanigans.

Out of turn card plays:
On to the one of the bigger items with Guise. Guise has two cards which allow him to play cards out of turn and each have their own advantages/disadvantages. The cards are Super Ultra Kawaii! and Selling Out. First, I'll list out pros and cons of each

Super Ultra Kawaii!
Pro
- Allows a card play at the end of hero turn
- No restriction on which cards that can be played and allows for a more mixed hand.
- Doesn't require a discard
- With just four heroes on the team this allows for more card plays then Selling Out and even with three heroes it has equal card play to Selling Out.

Con
- To make full use you would need six, eight, or ten cards in hand for hero teams of three, four, and five members respectively as you have to H cards in hand to use the card play. Keep in mind that you could get more cards in hand by playing Where Did I Leave That..., Best Card Ever!, or I Can Do That Too! copying Guise's power or copying a base power that draws cards.
- Usually playing this card means you will empty a lot of your hand so your following turn may not be as exciting while you build up your hand again.

Selling Out
Pro
- No hand size restriction
- Allows reaction to card play from the environment that round and prevent its end of turn effect with Retcon. You could also get a Gritty Reboot or Total Beefcake into play to get a benefit from incoming damage from the environment and into the villain turn.
- A lot of Guise's one shots allow for additional card play so if you discard a one shot then play Gimmicky Character, Best Card Ever!, Retcon, Say Cheese! (if a target is low enough on health), or I Can Do That, Too! (if a hero base power allows playing a cards which Guise's base power does) you could get ongoings like Total Beefcake or Gritty Reboot into play. Also, depending on what is out for other heroes playing Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! can also be useful for copying a Heroic Interception and Lead From the Front allowing you to prevent damage to all heroes.
- Depending on turn order this could let you steal equipment with Lemme See That... without having another hero lose that card for a round but you have something in hand to take advantage of it. An easy example would be a component from Omnitron X if Guise goes before him as you'll get to use the component and Omnitron X will get to use it again on his own turn since it got returned to him.

Con
- To get full use you need either four one shots or ongoings in hand.
- Requires a discard of one of those four cards
- Because it's at the end of the environment turn it means cards like Blatant Reference lose a turn or more of play since it triggers only at the end of hero turns and won't trigger the first time until the next hero turn which means the villain might destroy it.
- Along with that it shortens possible team benefits from Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! if Guise is first in turn order.

The main item to keep in mind with these two cards is when they allow card plays.

You may come across times where you might play both. However, at the least I would not recommend putting Super Ultra Kawaii!! into play through Selling Out as you would lose one or more turns of the extra cards that come from it. If Guise is last in turn order this play may work out but if he is first in turn order this provides no benefit. Playing Selling Out and Super Ultra Kawaii!! on Guise's turn or playing Selling Out with a card play from Super Ultra Kawaii!! is better as you can possibly get full effect from both using Super Ultra Kawaii!! card plays to get Ongoings in play that make cards plays from Selling Out even better. Playing both should only be done if you have a huge hand (12 cards or more) otherwise it may not be worth playing Super Ultra Kawaii!!! and Selling Out in the same round.

How you use Selling Out and Super Ultra Kawaii!!! depend upon what you have in hand and what others have in play. Keep in mind you can still end up playing even more cards from these as a lot of Guise's one shots allow for another card play. My suggestion with a Super Ultra Kawaii! (Especially if Guise is first in turn order)would be to build up Ongoings like X-treeeeeeeeme!!! and/or Guise the Barbarian on your turn and then play your one shots like Best Card Ever!, Look What I Found!, Say Cheese! , or I Can Do That, Too! so you take the most advantage from them. With Selling Out if you get three one shot card plays you might use one-shots like Gimmicky Character first to get X-treeeeeeeeme!!! or Guise the Barbarian before playing Best Card Ever!, Look What I Found!, Say Cheese! , or I Can Do That, Too! if you couldn't get that out during your turn.

Nuking for Max Glory:
I made a post of what damage Guise could do with just his cards in a single round to give ideas on his own his abilities here:
https://greaterthangames.com/comment/113482#comment-113482

Note:
What I've listed for this guide is not fully taking into consideration what team you are playing with. So I would recommend looking at the Guise Shenanigans in the following post to see what you can setup or possibly give you some more ideas.

Santa Guise:
New Base Power:
Santa Guise goes away from trying steal the spotlight for himself on his base version to allowing others to have their own moment. A few notes about it. First, any revealed limited card that is already in play goes to the trash immediately without activating any come into play abilities. Second, the face down cards can only be destroyed by a villain through Apocalypse from Apostate, Miss Information's Threat to the President and Explosion in the Lab, and GloomWeaver's Sable Pin. Lastly, cards preventing a hero from playing cards does not prevent the revealed cards from being played much like Don't Dismiss Anything or Timeshift can Omnitron-X can ignore that. For this version I Can Do That Too! can be used to trigger both powers in a single turn or out of turn through Selling Out and Super Ultra Kawaii!!. However, it is not as helpful the first or second turn but once you've got three or more card face down in play face down it becomes a very good play. Much like our own gift exchanges the second power can be rather great, meh, or sometimes bad. A lot of that depends upon the hero and the order in which cards are revealed for that hero. Heroes that have multiple Limited cards where there are three or four of them in their deck are the least likely to get much out of the reveal. Heroes like Chrono Ranger, Unity, and the Sentinels should reveal multiple cards that they can use. It is still good to use on those heroes as really the only heroes I would be hesitant to reveal cards for are Absolute Zero, Nightmist, and Setback. If they have cards in play already to negate their harming effects then it should be fine.

Strategy for Guise:
This promo changes the strategy for Guise quite a bit as you don't have an innate drawing power anymore and by himself he can't reliably setup combos. At least to me this makes me think even more so to use Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! or Lemme See That... to get alternate powers to use to more actively contribute on a given turn. Retcon is more likely used to draw a card unless you already have a follow up card to play like Where Did I Leave That... or Gritty Reboot for more cards. Using his second power on himself to reveal cards may not always be great since all of his Ongoing Cards are limited and so you could end up revealing the same Limited card for no effect. Along with that if you don't have Selling Out or Super Ultra Kawaii! Out you may not even get much benefit from Guise the Barbarian or X-treeeeeeeeme!!! depending upon the order cards are revealed. If Guise is teamed up with a hero who can stack the top of his deck before using the first power it will help ensure the revealed cards are possibly more helpful for Guise and other heroes.

New Incap powers:
What happens to those face down cards if someone decides to declare war on Christmas and incaps Santa Guise? Well, for Santa Guise and any other hero that was incapped they leave play but those heroes fighting on have them remain in their play area. Santa Guise while incapped can allow a hero to reveal one of their face down cards and still use them it's just not all of them like his base power allows. Santa Guise can also allow a hero to use a power and then they have to flip any one non character hero card in play cards face down. If Guise chooses to flip that card with other non incap power you get benefit from any come into play abilities again. His last incap power just allows each player to discard a card and to draw another which is a good fallback power to use each round if you aren't sure of what else to do especially if you have Tachyon on the team

Completionist Guise
New Base Power:
If you liked the card I Can Do That Too! the power Impressive Collection takes that one-shot to 11 as you can copy hero powers every turn and alternatively deal 2 psychic damage instead of copying the power of the character card you chose. This action also replaces the character card in play and you choose a variant either out of the game or One already under Guise. If the variant has a lower max health than the current character card their health will be lower to that value and if it has a higher health amount it will maintain the hero’s current health. Also note that that you can’t use the same power twice though. If I play I Can Do That Too! on Captain Cosmic and then use Impressive Collection on Captain Cosmic again your only option will be to do the damage. Lastly, you can switch out the version of Guise you are as using as well but it means the other heroes are set for their variant being used. The character cards remain under Guise but can’t be interacted with now that you don’t have the Impressive Collection power.

Strategy of a Completionist:
Base Guise is setup to do combos based off his card copying more consistently. Santa Guise turns into more of a support hero giving extra card plays and lots of them depending upon how long you let it go. Completionist Guise falls in the middle. He can setup combos for heroes by putting a variant that is more useful for their own setup and switch to other powers as they become more potent at a particular point of the game. For your own turns Completionist Guise is able to combo uses of Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! , Lemme See That..., Total Beefcake, or X-treeeeeeeeme!!! regularly with a power on a character card. Though Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! and Lemme See That... are more likely to have a better combo off of them. You have less innate card draw compared to the base version and don’t have presents so are more dependent on other heroes helping you with card draw to setup combos. In the unfortunate case you are Incapped you want at least one character card of each player so you take the most advantage of those.

New Incap Power:
Should this happen you want to have as many different character cards under Guise as possible. The three abilities all focus on having a corresponding hero character card to use them. The first power just switches out one variant under Guise for another which can be useful if that other base power is better in the current situation. The second power gives a power use after removing one of the variants under Guise. This one is only worth if it if you have more than one variant of the same character under Guise and the game will last for a bit longer. If you only have one variant of a character card under Guise then the third power should be used since it gives the hero you removed a variant for a full turn. Once you’ve gotten rid of your collection though you can only cry as Guise remembers what he gave up to help the other heroes.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

Shenanigans:
Being the character he is there are lots of shenanigans for Guise mostly involving Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, Lemme See That..., and I Can Do That, Too!. I'll try to add to the list as I find them. These are in no particular order( the bad shenanigan names are my own and I'll try to credit the person who listed it):

- Guise of Days(from Phantaskippy). Use Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! on Fanatic who plays End of Days on their turn. You trigger End of ou can determine what gets destroyed as of villain and environment(except relics still). Once you've gotten rid of those other cards you destroy End of Days controlled by Fanatic and the process ends.

- Bootleg Reference ( from McBehrer). Use Lemme See That... on Micro Targetting Computer, play Guise the Barbarian, and Blantant Reference. It adds up to five projectile damage at the end of each hero turn.

- Unlucky Guise. By using Setback's Risk power with I Can Do That, Too! Guise can get his own Unlucky Pool. It's possible for Guise to use that later on when copying Ongoings from Setback but would require a few turns of setup to be effective.

- Legacy is fanatical about fixing things ( from Phantaskippy). Teamup with Legacy/Mr. Fixer/PW Fanatic. Guise with Beefcake out or a borrowed Jack Handle. Use I Can Do That, Too! on PW Fanatic. It can be made better if you are copying Legacy with Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! who has Inspiring and Surge of Strength. If you can get that setup with Guise the Barbarian you have the following:
+2 from Legacy buffs.
+2 from Barbarian
+2 from copying Legacy buffs
This results in 9 radiant damage to all non-hero targets, your top card into play and a power use.

-Omnitron loves Grits(from MrJJ). With Omnitron playing Interpolation Beam play Gritty Reboot then you can continue to draw cards as long as you have health. Granted you'll probably want to keep 10 or more health just to make use of it all.

-What Buffer?(from Arcanist Lupus/McBehrer). Use Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! on Parse who plays or has Buffer Overflow in play. As long as you destroy Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! first you can cancel two villain card plays in one villain turn or just leave the original Buffer Overflow in play for later.

-Bullets with a mind of their own. This involves setup from Captain Cosmic who would play Autonomous Blade on Guise. On Guise's turn get Blatant Reference and Guise the Barbarian into play which is 3 projectile and 2 energy damage at the end of each hero turn to the same or different targets.

- What's yours is mine. Use I Can Do That, Too! on PW Captain Cosmic. If a construct is destroyed you could shuffle a construct into your deck.

- Air Guitar! As seen on Lemme See That... Guise has taken an instrument from Argent Adept. With one of the AA's instruments Guise can activate the appropriate Melodies, Harmony, or Rhythm. Along with that Guise can use I Can Do That, Too! to activate the perform text of any Ongoing AA has in play.

- When it rains it pours(from EdgeDS). Teamup of Guise / Captain Cosmic / Tempest / Scholar. Play Dynamic Syphon from CC on Tempest. Have Tempest play Cleansing Downpour, Get 2-3 Mortal Form to Energy ongoings into play for the Scholar. Play Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy on the Scholar and Blatant Reference. Use Blatant Reference at the end of each hero turn to hit Dynamic Syphon. Now 4-6 Mortal Forms that can be triggered every hero turn for an entire round that is 8 health regained for each hero and 16 or 24 instances of 2 damage. Guise and Scholar will need to hit each other a bit to continue damaging with Mortal Form to Energy

- It's so much cooler holding the gun sideways(from A Someday Hero). This requires Parse who has one Critical Multiplier or more in play. Guise will need Blatant Reference and Uh Yeah I'm That Guy high fiving Parse. That alone will result in 2-3 damage from each discard for Blatant Reference. If you can manage to get Guise the Barbarian we have 4-5 damage. Also with with Selling Out in play you can discard a one shot to gain bonus damage for a Look What I Found! or Best Card Ever!

- Guise Tactics. This requires having the Sentinels with Sentinel Tactics in play. Play Blatant Reference and Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy on the Sentinels in any order. Each hero turn after that you can discard for Blatant Reference and use Tough Choices. Effectively this is similar to having Super Ultra Kawaii! out if you have enough cards for playing and discards but without the hand size restriction. As always Guise the Barbarian is great with this.

- Gelatinous Shield (from Arcanist Lupus). This requires the Sentinels with Human Shield and Caliginous Form out. Guise only needs to play Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! on the Sentinels. Guise can redirect the first damage incoming and then Mainstay and Guise can fight it out over who gets to take the damage for the round. If Caliginous Form isn't out then Total Beefcake can replace it.

- Blatant Healing (from McBehrer). This requires the Sentinels with Hippocratic Oath out. Get into play Guise the Barbarian, Blatant Reference, and Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! out and you have 3 healing every hero turn.

- Hippos have a handle on rain(from Phantaskippy). This requires a team of Mr Fixer, Tempest, and the Sentinels. Mr. Fixer needs Jackhandle in play and the Sentinels need Hippocratic Oath out. Guise will need to play Super a Ultra Kawaii! for extra plays, use Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! on the Sentinels, and use Lemme See That... on Jackhandle. Then Guise will need to play I Can Do That, Too! using the Squall power. The results are:
You would deal damage to all non-hero targets (Squall), so you choose the first target to be hit, and turn that damage into all target damage.
Then you pick the second target for Squall to hit, and turn that into all non-hero target damage.
Then you pick the third target for Squall to hit. . .
and so on until Squall runs out of targets to aim at.
This results in massive healing.
If you don't have Hippocratic Oath out then this will deal one damage multiple times to all non hero targets for each target the villain has out

- Money for nothing! (From Phantaskippy). Play Total Beefcake then use I can do that too on Resolute power of PW Fanatic. Ideally this should be done out of turn so that after you redirect that 3 damage, put your top card into play, you can Tough Choices. Having Guise the Barbarian allows you to redirect more damage but be careful not to play X-treeeeeeeeme!!! when you do it otherwise him can't redirect that damage.

- Divine Reference(from Phantaskippy). Play Uh Yeah, I'm that Guy and Fanatic needs Divine Focus in play. This works like a better version of Blatant Reference since this is done at the start of every turn. Guise the Barbarian as always makes it better. Also if you have Guise before Fanatic and Total Beefcake in play you can opt to take that 4 damage and redirect it.

- RPG Trope! (From Phantaskippy). Uh Yeah, I'm that Guy!, Total Beefcake, and Sacrosanct Martyr in play from Fanatic. On a power use you can deal the lowest HP non-hero target 5 radiant damage.

- Lubed up (from Phantaskippy). Have Fixer-Setback-Guise-Scraper in that order. Fixer has Jackhandle, Crane, and Harmony in play and Grease Gun in hand. Fixer plays grease gun on his turn. Guise plays Lemme See That... with Tough Choices and borrows Grease Gun. Sky-Scraper plays Compulsion Canister on Fixer for the awesomeness. Next round Fixer takes his normal turn, Setback then plays Whoops, Sorry!, and destroys Lemme See That... That sends Grease Gun back to Fixer, for another round of no damage dealt by non-hero targets. Side note, if you have a character with normal Ongoing destruction between Fixer and Guise in turn order the same thing can be accomplished. Using Setback just allows you take away the normally negative affect his card has.
An alternate method uses Fixer-Visionary-Guise-Tempest-Scholar who could possibly keep it going infinitely.
Fixer plays Grease Gun, Guise borrows it, next turn Visionary destroys Lemme See That... with her power, then Tempest-scholar run the Reclaim->DDA engine to put Lemme See That into play (as well as other cards) then Visionary destroys it.
In that situation you only lose Fixer's power and draw phase and Guise's draw phase the first round. No one else will lose abilities on their turn. You lose out of turn powers and card play for Guise, but if you move Scholar to first hero it gets better. Either way you get Grease Gun for as long as you can keep it from being destroyed.
The reason for destroying Lemme See That... before Guise's turn is that because Grease Gun came into play first it would get destroyed first on Guise's turn before Lemme See That... would get destroyed.

- Unfriendly fire(from Arcanist Lupus). Put Total Beefcake and Yeah I'm that Guy! into play copying Setback who has Friendly Firein play. The first time anyone attacks a non-hero each turn, you can have them also attack Guise, which bounces off of Beefcake into another villain. Since a hero just damaged a villain, you could jump in front of it again for another two damage. That should only be done if you have Gritty Reboot in play. Also, if Setback has Silver Linings in play you use I Can Do that Too (on Mainstay or AA) or Lemme See That (on Bunker) to get a point of damage reduction. You can take enough friendly fire to kill yourself and then gain health based on the unlucky tokens Guise had gained.

Hairtrigger Vulnerability (from XXVZ). Use Yeah I'm That Guy! on Expat who has or plays Hairtrigger Reflexes. Parse plays Exploit Vulnerability so any new target that comes into play would be dealt two separate instances of two projectile damage. With Guise the Barbarian in play you'll have a total of six projectile damage for any new targets entering play.

- Pain Handle (from bluedarky) Play Lemme see that... on Mr Fixer's Jack Handle, get Guise the Barbarian into play, and then play I can do that too! on a Huge Sky-Scraper. Depending upon how many targets are in play this will bring loads of pain.

- Boom straight to the Moon!( from bullfroggy95). You need Bunker with preferably a fully loaded Omni-Cannon, Guise needs to play Lemme see that... on Omni-Cannon and X-treeeeeeeeme!!!, and then a hero like America's Greatest Legacy, Argent Adept, or Unity who can give Guise a power use. This allows you to one shot a villain or another target without concerns about DR or any redirection.

- I'm the best team ever (from Donner) The Sentinels need Sentinel Tactics in play but not Hippocratic Oath. Guise plays Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy targeting the Sentinels and Blatant Reference. When Guise deals damage with Blatant Reference he gets to use his base power on other hero turns and wins at everything.

- Getting a Handle on Hot and Cold (from Arcanist Lupus). This requires Mr Fixer, Absolute Zero, and a hero who can give a power use if you don't have Fixed Point available. Absolute Zero needs Thermal Shockwave in play whom Guise will use Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! on and Mr Fixer needs Jack Handle out which Guise will "borrow" with Lemme See That... Then Argent Adept, PW Fanatic, or America's Greatest Legacy will need to give Guise a power use. Depending upon how it is ruled this either deals all non-hero targets one cold damage once or three times. Once that is resolved Guise will hit all non-hero targets for fire damage equal to the amount of cold damage he dealt out altogether.

- Hairtrigger Vulnerability (from XXVZ). Use Yeah I'm That Guy! on Expat who has or plays Hairtrigger Reflexes. Parse plays Exploit Vulnerability so any new target that comes into play would be dealt two separate instances of two projectile damage. With Guise the Barbarian in play you'll have a total of six projectile damage for any new targets entering play.

- Pain Handle (from bluedarky) Play Lemme see that... on Mr Fixer's Jack Handle, get Guise the Barbarian into play, and then play I can do that too! on a Huge Sky-Scraper. Depending upon how many targets are in play this will bring loads of pain.

- Boom straight to the Moon!( from bullfroggy95). You need Bunker with preferably a fully loaded Omni-Cannon, Guise needs to play Lemme see that... on Omni-Cannon and X-treeeeeeeeme!!!, and then a hero like America's Greatest Legacy, Argent Adept, or Unity who can give Guise a power use. This allows you to one shot a villain or another target without concerns about DR or any redirection.

- I'm the best team ever (from Donner )Sentinels need Sentinel Tactics in play but not Hippocratic Oath. Guise plays Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy targeting the Sentinels and has Blatant Reference out. When Guise deals damage with Blatant Reference he gets to use his base power on other hero turns and wins at everything.

- Getting a Handle on Hot and Cold (from Arcanist Lupus). This requires Mr Fixer, Absolute Zero, and a hero who can give a power use if you don't have Fixed Point available. Absolute Zero needs Thermal Shockwave in play which Guise will use Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy! on and Mr Fixer needs Jack Handel out which Guise will "borrow" with Lemme See That... Then Argent Adept, PW Fanatic, or America's Greatest Legacy will need to give Guise a power use. Depending upon how it is ruled this either deals all non-hero targets one cold damage once or three times. Once that is resolved Guise will hit all non-hero targets for fire damage for the amount of cold damage he dealt out altogether.

- Die Harder. This requires Xtreme Prime Wardens Haka and the Scholar at least having two Mortal Form to Energy out. Copy the Ongoings of Scholar whir Uh,Yeah, I'm That Guy! and copy the Die Hard power through I Can Do That Too! targeting any hero wihtout DR. Then hit that hero targeted by Die Hard with Guise which will be redirected to Guise who will heal. Use one instance of damage on any target and then the second instance in the hero targeted by Die Hard. As long as you do this you have infinite damage. To speed up the damage Scholar would need a third Mortal Form to Energy and multiple Solid to Liquid in play.

- Pick a Card, Any Card. This require Parse with at least one Critical Multiplier out and F5 Wraith. Use Uh,Yeah, I'm That Guy! on Parse and I Can Do That Too! on F5 Wraith. Wraith and Guise should keep drawing and discarding. Each discard by Guise gives a hero +1 damage and so you setup one attack to deal any amount of damage.

- Exactly to Plan - This needs Luminary with All According to Plan in play, Dangerous Vision in hand, and ideally multiple Devices in play. Copy his Ongoing with Uh,Yeah,I’m That Guy! and play Guise the Barbarian. When Luminary has a device destroyed or destroys his own devices Guise can deal 3 toxic damage for each one destroyed.

- Missile Critical - Benchmark with “Inferno” Missile Pod in play and Parse with one or more Critical Multiplier cards in play. Guise wants to copy Parse’s Ongoings with Uh,Yeah,I’m That Guy and play Blatant Reference. This sets up the Missile Pod with 3 to 5 cards and can hand out damaged boosts . Ideally you want to do this with Guise before Benchmark so once it can used once his cards expire. More cards can be added to the Missile Pod if you can get Selling Out out along with plays of Where Did I Leave That..

- I Wanna Be the Mainstay - This has affects on multiple turns. Mainstay has Void Belter and Shard Strength out and having Preemptive Payback out is good. Guise on the one turn copies Mainstay’s Ongoings with Uh,Yeah,I’m That Guy! and then any other cards you can play to take advantage of the damage boost. At the start of Guise’s next turn if Preemptive Payback was out you can destroy Uh,Yeah,I’m That Guy! without taking the start of turn damage and can use your base power one more time with boosted damage. On your main play phase use Lemme See That.. on Void Belter then use that power and destroy Lemme See That... so Mainstay gets his toy back.

- Grasping Shadow Guise - Similar to Grease Gun Guise is able to extend the affect of Grasping Shadow-cloth played by Writhe. This does require Guise is before Writhe in turn order but means that you two rounds of no card plays from the deck chosen by Writhe. It can be extended additional turns by having someone destroy Lemme See That... before Guise’s turn and having Guise replay Lemme See That... on Grasping Shadow-Cloth on his turn again. Note that this will have the card get shuffled into Guise’s deck if it’s controlled by him still on turn so does lose Writhe access to it potentially.

- Sentai Completionist - When Calculating Damage using these Super Sentai Idealist power any character cards under Completionist Guise count as well towards the damage total. Those character cards under Guise can’t be destroyed so even if no Concepts are in play you’ll be able to deal damage using the power.

- Applied Guise - Harpy needs to have Applied Numerology in play and the environment card Caspit’s Playground must in play. With Guise using Lemme See That... on Applied Numerology and copying a hero with a power on an Ongoing card using Uh,Yeah, I’m That Guy! Guise is able to alter the numerals on those powers. You will need extra power uses to accomplish. An example is being able to reveal 4 cards using Bring What Need or putting all 3 revealed cards in hand.

- Guise started the Fire - Guise takes Jack Handle from Mr Fixer with Lemme See That... and then copies Setting Sun Ra’s power with I Can Do That Too! Guise will deal 2 irreducible fire damage to all non-hero for each non-hero target in play and then one more time when he tries to hit himself. You can them remove Lemme See That... to graciously give Fixer his Jack Handle back. Alternatively you can grab the Dual Crowbars which would some more individual hits.

- Upgrayedd - In this case you want Scholar to have Proverbs and Axioms in hand. Guise will want Gimmicky Character and Best Card Ever! in hand. Guise will borrow Upgraded Memory Unit from Benchmark and copy Scholar with Uh,Yeah,I’m That Guy while having one or more copies of Mortal Form To Energy. Each instance of healing will be increased adding to the damage. Guise ideally will want to play Super Ultra Kawaii! to play his healing cards. If Upgraded Memory Unit isn’t out you could use Subcutaneous Cybernetics for some extra instances of healing if you have cards to discard.
Fire the Cannon! - Guise will want to have multiple copies of I Can Do That Too! or other heroes who can give Guise extra powers. Borrow Secondary Cannon with Lemme See That... and copy Ongoing’s La Capitan who needs Shipshape in play. Each power use each turn results in Guise discarding a card and replacing it. Alternatively instead of taking Secondary Cannon if Guise uses Blatant Reference he gets a card back for each one discarded at the end of each hero turn.

- Om-nom-nomicannon - https://youtu.be/dPgpfDOhaL8%7C (Credit to LewdDolphin and AnotherLetdown for actually going through this in game) - The team consists of Guise, Lifeline, Bunker, PW Captain Cosmic, and Sky-Scraper. The objective is for Guise to collect cards and get them under OmniCannon. It requires uses of I Can Do That Too! to use the powers of PW Cosmic and tiny Sky-Scraper to collect Constructs and Links respectively. Lemme See That... is used on Orphic Repository to get all of Lifeline’s cards and then just on OmniCannon to put cards underneath it from Guise’s hand. Bunker just needs to put his own cards under it while Guise is gathering the other cards.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Autonomous Blade wouldn't have its damage boosted by Guise the Barbarian, but is definitely really effective with him due to his out-of-turn abilities to deal damage.

Dunno how intricate you want to get with shenanigans, but Guise / Captain Cosmic / Tempest / Scholar: Dynamic Syphon from CC on at least Tempest, Cleansing Downpour available from Tempest, 2-3 Mortal Form to Energy ongoings in the Scholar's play area.  Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy and Blatant Reference from Guise - now there are 4-6 Mortal Forms that can be triggered every hero turn for the entire round.  Just with those cards, that's 8 health regained for each hero and 16 or 24 instances of 2 damage.

Edit - sorry, really should've started out with this: Nicely done!  Very clean guide :)

Powerhound_2000

Thanks. I'll update and add what you listed for Shenanigans.   I expect there will be some very complicated ones.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

In "Omnitron loves Grits", you should mention the card that Guise needs to make this work (Gritty Reboot).

Shenanigans: DW Fixer loves to go right before Guise and blow up Guise's ongoings right before they would have died anyways.

Also, for the guide in general, since Guise focuses so much on ridiculous play turns and then recharging, I think that you should devote a section to how to get the most out of Guise's extra plays and draws (which cards chain well, which give you cards, etc)

Furthermore, Guise cares more than most about where he is in the play order, and the number of heroes playing, so you should probably talk about that as well.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

A Someday Hero

In my experience Guise is often most effective when placed in turn order just before the enviornment, that way he can react to what the hero's have done and Selling Out lasts for effectively the entire round.

Don't worry about doing much in the early game, Draw as many cards as you can. Once the other hero's have a few things on the field and/or you've aquired a few combos then you can go nuts. Guise loves hero's that can draw him additional cards.

Cute Interactions are Blatent Reference and Uh Yeah I'm That Guy while playing with Parse if she has a Critical Multiplier or two (or Three!). If you can manage it get both on the field plus a Guise the Barbarian with Selling Out. A Nut turn looks like: Start, Resolve triggers; Play, Look what I found, hit the Main Villain; Power, Play Selling Out, deal the Main Villain 2 melee damage; End, Resolve triggers; Enviornment, Start, Play. End, Trigger Selling Out, discard and Ongoing for Uh, Yeah I'm That Guy, Guise the Barbarian and Blatent Reference; After the Villain turn you can deal the villain 5 damage plus one for every extra Critical Multiplier on the field for every Hero besides you. After that you can only hope you're also playing with Legacy who has Inspiring Presence and has Galvinized so it's 8+ damage every turn. Oh, and The Sentinels have Sentinel Tactics out so you can also use a power every turn, this is also handy because with your power you can draw to replace the card you discarded.

Powerhound_2000

Blatant Reference and Super Ultra Kawaii! only trigger at the end of Hero turns which is why I like him first in turn order and why Selling Out should be used a bit more for one shots than Onngoings.   Even with Guise last in turn order if you use Selling Out to get Blatant Reference out you lose Guise's hero turn to make use of it.  I will update the strategy guide to talk more about Selling Out and Super Ultra Kawaii! later this week when I can sit down to write it out more.   I'll add your item with Parse and Guise at some point today though I'll have to change a bit since Blatsnt Reference wouldn't trigger on the environment turn.  

Powerhound_2000

I've added a section talking about his out of turn card plays with Super Ultra Kawaii! and Selling Out.   Hopefully it all makes sense.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If it does, you did something wrong.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000

That's a good point.   I don't think anyone could fully make sense of Guise.   

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I can only imagine the shenanigans Guise can get up to with a Self Destruct Sequence and skipping his turn.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Powerhound_2000

Or the infamous Fixed Point.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Total Beefcake + I can do that too borrowing Thermal Shockwave's power.  Add a few Say, Cheese!s for a little extra damage, and as always, Guise the Barbarian for true ridiculousness.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Unfortunately, I Can Do That Too only allows you to copy CHARACTER CARD powers. I'm That Guy could work, but you would need another power use to be able to do it...

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

So it does.  I'd never noticed that before.  frown

Add it too the guide!

Powerhound_2000

I had it listed in there saying it allows you to copy base powers but I added an extra note to say it is what is on character cards

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

Fun story, when I furst played Guise I thought he had a card called air guitar, because of lemme see that...

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Powerhound_2000

Added some shenanigans from a post Phantaskippy listed in another thread.   He likes PW Fanatic and Guise together.  

DrScott

Is there an official ruling that "Lemme See That . . . " prevents the owner of the equipment from using it, because I don't get that sense from the card at all.  If it did I'd expect to see something like "this card now affects Guise . . . and is  considered to be in play by Guise" or something.  Simply saying the card affects Guise "as if" the text indicates Guise does not say to me that the card switches wholly to that, just that Guise can use it too.

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker
DrScott

Fair enough.  I will accept the ruling, but count me squarely in the "the card doesn't acutally say that" camp.

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

Powerhound_2000

Thanks Ronway. Also, if you look at the art and flavor text it emphasizes that idea as well that Guise is essentially stealing the equipment.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Added some shenanigans from a post Phantaskippy listed in another thread.   He loves PW Fanatic and so does Guise.  

Fixed that for you.  There really isn't a better base power for Guise to copy than Resolute.

Sky-Scraper isn't really important at all to the Guise + Fixer bouncy Grease Gun, you just need ongoing destruction between their turns.

For Example:

Fixer-Visionary-Guise-Tempest-Scholar can keep it going infinitely.

Fixer plays Grease Gun, Guise borrows it, next turn Visionary destroys Lemme-see that with her power, then Tempest-scholar run the Reclaim->DDA engine to put Lemmee see that into play (as well as other cards) then Visionary destroys it.

In that situation you only lose Fixer's power and draw phase and Guise's draw phase the first round. no one else will lose abilities on their turn.  You lose out of turn powers and card play for guise, but if you move Scholar to first hero it gets better.  Either way you get Grease gun for as long as you can keep it from being destroyed.

Powerhound_2000

I updated it already to note that any hero with ongoing destruction could be used in place of Setback.   I'll add info regarding Scholar and Tempest in a bit.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Unfriendly fire:  Total Beefcake + I'm that Guy copying Friendly Fire.  The first time anyone attacks a non-hero each turn, you can have them also attack Guise, which bounces off of Beefcake into another villain.

And since a hero just damaged a villain, you could jump in front of it again for another 2 damage.  You won't be able to redirect it, but if you have Gritty Reboot you might not want to.

Also, if Setback has Silver Linings, and then you use I Can Do that Too (on Mainstay or AA) or Lemme See That (on Bunker) to get a point of damage reduction, and you can take enough friendly fire to kill yourself, you can actually gain health while (or instead of) drawing a ridiculous number of cards.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

I can only imagine the shenanigans Guise can get up to with a Self Destruct Sequence and skipping his turn.

The stalled buildup: Skip your turns, use O-X, Rogue Agent or someone who gives you powers to put new cards in play. You then get to keep building up and keep everything. just need some extra card draw for Blatant Reference and your golden.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

That Guise+Sacrosanct Martyr gets even better when you borrow Dual Crowbars.

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

Ooh! Ooh! I have one!

This one came up recently in a game against omni:

Parse plays Exploit Vulnerability, Expat plays Hairtrigger Reflexes, Guise plays Yeah, I'm that guy on expat, 4 dmg whenever a villain target enters play!

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Lemme see that! on Jack Handle, Guise the Barbarian and I can do that too on a Huge Sky-Scraper = pain.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

bluedarky wrote:

Lemme see that! on Jack Handle, Guise the Barbarian and I can do that too on a Huge Sky-Scraper = pain.

Ho Ym Dog!

Never actually thought of that one.

Pain. . . lots of pain!

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

bluedarky wrote:

Ho Ym Dog!Never actually thought of that one.Pain. . . lots of pain!

It gets worse if you add in The Sentinels, Unity or Captain Cosmic as well.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Varmint Shooting:  Promo Chrono-Ranger + Uh, Yeah, I'm that Guy

Normally, UYItG doesn't work so well with CR's bounties.  It copies them all, but since they're not next to a target, they don't do anything (Well, Dead or Alive will heal you for 1).  But CR's new base power allows all bounties to target the target of his choice - including UYItG!  You can also use I Can Do That Too to apply the double stack of bounties to a second target.

Reference Hunting:

If CR has Hunter and Hunted out, Guise will get that too.  And UYItG counts as a bounty (Unfortunately, I'm guessing it only counts as one bounty), increasing the damage boost that CR and Guise get by 1.  If Guise has Blatant Reference out, meaning that he's dealing several instances of damage...

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

UYItG only copies the gameplay text, not the keywords, so it doesn't count as a bounty.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Also UYItG only copies ongoing cards in that player's play area, bounties don't go in hero play areas. (other than No executions, which would cause Guise to be shuffled into his deck instead of being destroyed if it was on a Golem and Guise UYItG'd Unity)

The big combo with Guise and Promo Chrono (apart from Hunter and Hunted, which isn't promo specific) is Guise can put all the bounties on a new target with I can do that too.

With Ultimate Target in play that can get fun for Chrono.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Koga wrote:

UYItG only copies the gameplay text, not the keywords, so it doesn't count as a bounty.

What?  Keywords are game text, aren't they?  It's text that affects the game after all.

Phantaskippy brings up a good point about play areas, though.  That's no fun.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

What?  Keywords are game text, aren't they?  It's text that affects the game after all.

Open your rulebook to page 4. You'll find an arrow labeled 3 pointing at where Keywords go, over on the table you'll see that part of the card is called "Keywords". Next find 4, it points at the area what explains what the card does, on the table it is listed as "Game Text". This means Keywords are not apart of the Game Text.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Keywords are not Game Text, and Game Text does not include Keywords.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Unless that card somehow still uses AoL.

Which they don't.

Not a good joke, but a joke regardless.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

That Guise+Sacrosanct Martyr gets even better when you borrow Dual Crowbars.

Hell, skip the Total Beefcake and just steal a Jack Handle instead. Add Barbarian for fun.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

kreistor

Now that I've had a chance to play him some, here's my take.

Worst Card: X-treeeeeeeeame!!!!

In five games, I have not played this card once. It is discard fodder, unless you're in a situation where you need to cut through DR.

Second most useless is Lemme See That. Since it is literally stolen, the other character does not make use of it. Tat makes it situational... the other character must have something better to do, or a good second. Stealing Tactical Shotgun from Expat when she has only that one weapon is a selfish choice. many characters have no equipment worth stealing (reduce Damage Dealt by 1 for 1 Turn is pointless, when the other character is going to take +1 damage). Lemme See That gets discarded a lot, too.

Quote:
Gimmicky Character is possibly the best one-shot heal in the game. My groups don't care about milling decks that will shuffle back or in a game with so much trash searching, and come to understand that the randomness of drawing the second card vs the top card is not detrimental in any way. GC finishes with another card play. There are very few healing one-shots that can give you 5-7 HP then let you play another card.

Please disregard this paragraph. I overlooked "target" on Gimmicky Character. Since it allows a second card play, it isn't terrible beyond belief, but it will wind up being Blatant Reference fodder from now on.

Best Solo Combo

Guise must be last in Turn Order to make best use of this. Play Selling Out on Guise's turn. At end of Environment Turn, discard Ongoing, put into play Guise the Barbarian, Blatant Reference, Super Ultra Kawaii!! At the end of each Hero Turn, play a card, typically a damaging One-Shot, then discard a card to deal 1 projectile. If the card played is Best Card Ever, you draw 2, damage, and play another which can be damage again. Discard Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy or other semi-useful Ongoings. Another good play is I Can Do That Too, used on Guise. This is another Hero's Turn, so you can use Guise's Power to play yet another card (or draw if you need it) and deal 1 damage, which is really 3 due to Barbarian. The number of instances of damage dealt can be truly incredible, if you have built up a lot of cards. If you haven't, use Where did I leave That? to get Best Card Ever from trash and play that on next Hero Turn to get more discard fodder. Unsupported, I typically drop 30 damage per round (H=4). I've pumped it as high as 43 without support, but haven't yet seen it in full bloom with Support -- +2 from Legacy, stolen Gene-bound Shackles (or Micro-Targetting Computer for References' projectile damage), and a pair of Obsidian Fields (9 projectile damage minimum, 9-13 cold/melee multiple times, every Hero Turn). I wouldn't be surprised if someone broke the 100 damage threshold. There are few characters that can dump this much damage twice per game, but I have hit that combo twice in a couple games. The biggest problem I see with people missing this combo is getting too caught up in what they might do with the cards they have in hand (ie. being too greedy for potential), instead of looking at what a discard does now, and with all Guise's card draw, that future use is often irrelevant to Guise. But it sounds liek some people are too impatient for it, too. You must let some of those good one-shots sit in hand waiting for the boosts of chaining cards together.

Best Supporting Characters: Legacy, Captain Cosmic, Tempest

Legacy is obvious. CC can give Guise a pair of Autonomous Blades. With the above Combo, add 2 more instances of damage, though not buffed by Barbarian. Since Guise can hit in a lot of Hero turns with Blatant Reference, he makes great use of this. Guise can stay high HP, so Energy barrier is very effective, and Guise has the card draw to support Augmented Ally and Cosmic Weapon.

Steal Gene-bound Shackles for the above combo, and "Suck it up and heal while I shred, lizard breath."

I have a hard time with stealing Powers via Lemme See That. Using LST on Tac Shotgun takes it out of Expat's hands, so while Guise gets a whopping +3 damage for no play/draw card, Expat is using lesser equipment, so unless she has P&P or wants to use SMG, you're only moving damage around, not increasing overall party damage. There may be an equipment that I'm overlooking that might be a good positive, but too often it hurts the owner to take it, making them as support questionable.

Best Decks Supported: Argent Adept, Captain Cosmic

Already mentioned above, Guise doesn't do much direct support, but he can for AA, by triggering AA to Power use on Guise's turn. Another complication on this is to have Argent Adept re-trigger Guise to use a Power after using just Harp and Lyre to heal AA 2 and Counterpoint Bulwark Accompany to have Guise draw one. Without damage buffs, Guise deals a lot of 1 damage, which can hit CC's "when dealt damage" Constructs to maximal effect.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

kreistor wrote:
Gimmicky Character is possibly the best one-shot heal in the game. My groups don't care about milling decks that will shuffle back or in a game with so much trash searching, and come to understand that the randomness of drawing the second card vs the top card is not detrimental in any way. GC finishes with another card play. There are very few healing one-shots that can give you 5-7 HP then let you play another card.

I'm afraid I don't see what you say

how you're healing that much in this way

1 per target I think

is not such a large sink

that I'd rate it much more than 'okay'

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Think I can shed some light, in that regard:
I think kreistor 'target' misread as 'card'.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

I'll grant you Gimmicky Character is certainly not as situational as  X-treeeeeeeeame!!!! or Lemme See That... can be but often the healing is one or two points, because targets have to be discarded, whereas benefits for those other cards is often better.   Gimmicky Character can be setup to help mill a card from a villain deck but that deems it situational as well.   

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Guise loves situational cards though, because he needs a big hand to buffer Kawaii and for discards.  Extreme is situational, but when redirection and reduction are on the table it is awesome.  Throwing down a big damage round on the villain while Immutus sits wondering what is going on is awesome.

Guise is more interested in being Awesome than good.

kreistor

You are right, I overlooked "target" in Gimmicky Character. I have edited the original post to ensure others realize I have acknowledged the mistake, while leaving the paragraph in place to ensure the context of later discussion is retained.

Since only a few heores have targets in their decks, and Guise is not one of them, it is definitely a bad heal, but it allows a second card play which does retain some merit. It will probably wind up being Blatant Reference fodder for me now.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Gimmicky Character is Selling Out fodder. It lets you use the strongest Selling Out combo, which is to play 3 one shots, some of which allow you to play Ongoings.

Lemme See That is pretty sick with Grease Gun.

kreistor

Finally bothered, and made it happen. 84 damage in one round, with 4 Heroes.

TL Tachyon was first in Turn Order. Nothing important for the combo, but the card draw explains much of why i was able to set this up.

Wraith had MTC in play.

Legacy had IP, SoS, and had Galvanized.

Guise dropped GtB and Tough Choices to Sell Out, then dealt 5 damage to something that needed to die first.

Environment was Time Cataclysm, which played something irrelevant. Guise discarded an ongoing and dropped SUK, BR, and Lemme See That to grab the MTC.

Skinwalker Gloomweaver began Turn with 48 HP remaining. Cultist played. An irrelevant Relic already in play.

Tachyon was all set up. Destroyed the environment, and threw 3 Barrages to flip Gloomweaver.

SUK allowed Guise to play Uh, Yeah, I'm that Guy (Legacy) and BR discarded to deal 1+2+2+(1+1)+(1+1) = 9 damage.

Wraith used non-combat.

Guise dropped 2 BCE (8 damage each) and a Say Cheese for 7, then dicard for another 9. You should get the point, since I have 46 damage so far, and two more Hero Turns to go before the Ongoings drop, and I just drew 4 more cards. If there had been 5 heroes instead of 4, i would have had 1 more turn to play and discard, Guise would have easily beat 100 damage, and I did have the cards remaining for that. In fact, I had new copies of BR, SUK and SO already back in hand for a second run at it, but with lowre damage due to not having everything back yet.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Umm, Kreistor...I don't suppose you could start referring to various cards and stuff by their full names (or at least a single word or something) rather than a bunch of initialisms? I find your posts really hard to understand because I have to try and work out what you're talking about most of the time. There are a few initialisms that most of us use a lot (such as DDA, TLT, EPE), but you seem to be using it on pretty much everything and I haven't learnt every single deck (particularly the newest ones) well enough to instantly know what everything is so reading one of your posts is like trying to translate something where I don't fully know what it is I'm translating from.

I have a feeling I may not be the only person to feel that way...

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000

Yeah it's easy to get into using abbreviations or initials for cards but it makes for a rough post to read if you aren't familiar with the deck.   Really the initials for Super Ultra Kawaii!! probably shouldn't be used for a very helpful card.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

"I'm about to SUK!!!!" Is the most feared battle cry in the multiverse.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

Guise is more interested in being Awesome than good.

Guise likes to sit around doing little pings of damage whilst everyone else busts out their best cards trying to defeat the villain, then suddenly he deals 20-100 damage in a single round whilst everyone else goes "What the hell just happened?!"

Pages