The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Strategy Guide: Proletariat

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester
Strategy Guide: Proletariat

Proletariat

Proletariat is a melee character with the ability to duplicate himself up to 6 times.  He excels at damage mitigation, positioning enemies, and damage.

Damage Mitigation

Start Proletariat with Defensive Sacrifice and Shared Burden.  Whenever he takes damage, if there is at least two damage and you don't successfully defend against it, forgo blocking the dice and duplicate or remove a duplicate.  Try not to allow yourself to lose more than 2 health this way.  When you start with at least 3 clones in a turn, swap Shared Burden for Overwhelm.  Use Overwhelm to create 3 more clones and use Defensive Sacrifice to mitigate the big hits.  If your health gets too low, consider spending a round with Regroup and Recover in place of Defensive Sacrifice.  Just make sure you remove your most vulnerable clone(s) with the power.  By the end of your second turn you should have at least 4 clones.  Maybe more if you were attacked.

Positioning Enemies

All of Proletariat's attacks have "Push 1".  This means any target he attacks that is in melee range, regardless of whether or not he hits, he gets to push one hex.  Some great Positioning builds include Hammer Sweep and Overwhelm.  With Hammer Sweep you can push all targets that are adjacent to any of your Proletariats.  With Overwhelm you can reposition a target adjacent to each Proletariat.  And, if you set up a chain of Proletariats, you can push a target down a line into and through hazard spaces.  Remember that push is mandatory, so time your attacks appropriately!  Sickle Formation is also great here as one sprint allows you to readjust all your Proletariats for whatever pushing shenanigans you want to use.

Damage Dealing:

Proletariat's base attack is 4 dice with two chances at missing.  That means on average he will get 2 to 3 successes per attack.  Add Overwhelm, multiple clones, and the fact that The People's Hammer is unlimited and you're looking at 8 attacks a turn at max.  Hammer Swing can increase the number of targets hit.  If you add Tactical Flanking to the mix, any attack done on a target adjacent to another Proletariat adds 2 more dice for 4 to 5 successes.  This is Proletariat's attacks at their finest.  Again, pushes are mandatory and all of Proletariat's attacks push.  So, push in a sequence that will keep your target near the Proletariats you haven't attacked wit yet.

Solo Tricks

Before your first turn, I would start with Defensive Sacrifice and Shared Burden.  At a minimum start with Shared Burden to mitigate attacks against Proletariat before his turn.  

Sickle Formation and Overwhelm allow Proletariat's clones to cover a lot of distance fast or they can allow you to surround a target and hit them X times where X is the number of clones adjacent to the target.  

Don't forget that you can duplicate to an adjacent hex regardless of elevation change.  Duplication can also give you that one extra hex movement needed to get to a character.

If you're willing to take a bit of damage, you can use hazard spaces to generate more clones.

Shared Burden and Defensive Sacrifice make for great mine-sweeping when you're dealing with Ambuscade.

Spread out your clones to avoid area attacks and to allow you to reach opponents most anywhere on the map quickly.

Leave a clone someplace secluded and safe when you have Defensive Sacrifice to keep Proletariat nearly invincible.  Ambuscade and Tachyon can both take out this lone clone quickly, though, so be careful.

Regroup and Recover + Overwhelm used by 2 clones out of at least 3 restores Proletariat to full health.

If you have at least 3 clones, Overwhelm allows you to restock to full clones with one action.

Team Tricks

Champion Bot with one Proletariat within 2 hexes gives all Proletariats +2 dice on attack rolls.  Combine this with Tactical Flanking for +4 dice total on any attack on a target with at leat 2 Proletariats.  Or use it for single 6 die attacks.

Foresight works on Proletariat as long as one Proletariat is close to Visionary.  However, since Foresight is once per turn, it isn't a great turnaround.

I don't know if it is official or not, but if Legacy has line of sight to one Proletariat, he may be able to use Heroic Interception on a different Proletariat clone.

Beacon and Proletariat with Overwhelm allow all of Proletariat's clones to take an action.

Beacon with Bolstering Teamup and Proletariat allows you to get out 3 clones at least by the end of turn 1.

Proletariat can push enemies onto a tower of impaling structures created by Absolute Zero.  This is very difficult to pull off, however.

Proletariat with Defensive Sacrifice and Ambuscade can set a pile of traps and then set them off.  They can either push a target onto the traps and pop the clone or have the clone set them off itself and then pop.

The Operative can pull enemies to any location adjacent to her.  So, surround a location and let the Operative pull an enemy into the center of an overwhelming number of clones.

Legacy's Motivational Charge can be used on Proletariat with Shared Burden to create a clone and heal all other allies at minimal health loss if Proletariat is not at full health.

Weaknesses and Enemies to Watch Out For

Each Proletariat is a target, so Proletariat is especially weak against area attacks.  To reduce the risks, keep your clones spaced out at least one hex apart.  Maintaining Defensive Sacrifice is also helpful here, as you can remove clones instead of taking damage, but it gets through your clone count quickly.  Strong AoE attackers you should watch out for include Ra, Ambuscade, Bunker and Omnitron V.

Shared Burden forces you to duplicate.  If you are forced to duplicate a seventh clone, Proletariat gets incapped.  It is best to drop this ability once you have 3 or more clones.

Proletariat is a melee hero and does not have mobility.  This makes elevation changes and movement slowing powers a weakness for him.  Remember that cloning can be used to give you that extra hex you may need.

The People's Hammer has 2 miss dice.  Anything that forces re-rolls of successes or adds more miss dice really hurt Proletariat.  Watch out for Boar's Rage (?) from the Operative and Twist the Ether from Visionary.  Don't attempt to take on Legacy without Tactical Flanking or lots of dice and an aimed shot if he has Danger Sense in play.

Opponents Proletariat is strong against:

Omnitron V: Omnitron V does not like Proletariat.  First of all, Omnitron V is immune to pushing.  That means Proletariat doesn't have to worry about pushing him out of range of attacks from his clones.   Second, Omnitron V is really big.  Proletariat doesn't have to keep his clones too close together when surrounding Omnitron V.

Ambuscade:  Ambuscade has a ton of AoE, but a careful Proletariat won't send packs of clones at him.  However, Ambuscade is also about ambushing a character and taking them down fast, or trapping characters in a minefield.  With Defensive Sacrifice and Shared Burden, Proletariat can disarm mine fields or suffer an ambush and come out with more or less clones, as needed.

Bunker: Proletariat can shrug off an Omni-Cannon blast and can come out on top after a full Turret Mode assault from Bunker.  If Bunker is in Turret Mode, Proletariat can surround him and take him down pretty quickly with Tactical Flanking.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I created this guide in the hopes to see more Proletariats in the next few matches.

jajd2c

I've only played Proletariat once so far, but I felt I had missed something obvious. Your guide has already pointed out some things that I hadn't thought of. Next time I play him, I should do a bit better. 

Thank you, Comrade!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

You're welcome!

I'm sure there are strategies and issues I haven't thought of.  There's always more to learn!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

The biggest issue facing Proletariat, at least in the tournament scene, is time. Tournament matches have been lasting about 2 full rounds on average. Proletariat takes time to set up and be effective.

If you start your first turn with both defense cards in play and (hopefully) a decent move roll, you spend your first turn Cloning, Sprinting, then moving one up further. Second turn, and it may very well be your last one, you switch out one defensive card for Overwhelm most likely (depending on opponent position and # of clones and their position). And you hopefully get in an Aimed attack or two seperate attacks after spending 1 action moving into position with one clone at best. And you live and die by your movement roll as the other team picks off your teamates since you pose little threat.

I don't think you ever start with both Sharded Burden and Sacrifice. It's way too much of a liability and cuts your options in half for the 2nd round. Start with Sharded Burden and Sickle Formation. This way you have ways to mitigate damage, and you can 1.Duplicate 2. Sprint (all clones) 3. Move up. At least this way both your clones are in better positions than they were had you started without Sickle.

Maybe you start with Sacrifice and Overwhelm. Where you 1.Dup, 2. Overhwlem-->Duplicate (total of 4 clones on the board) and 3. Move. Your opponents can waste actions on sniping off your forward clone then, but that's fine really as it still buys more rounds to get the others into position next turn.

Maybe you don't even start with Sharded Burden or Sacrifice at all. Maybe start Overwhelm and Sickle, where you 1.Dup  2. Sprint (all clones) and 3. Overwhelm (move). Just keep them all out of AoE range and Swap in Sharded Burden for Sickle next turn. You become super vulnerable to things like Throwing Knives and Occular Beams though, so that's a huge gambit if you can't find some cover on the map.

All of these options kinda end with the same 2nd round though, where the goal is to 1. Move (maybe even Overwhelm-->Move) and use actions 2-3 to get some attacks in. But realistically you and your clones won't all be in a perfect position to get any huge investment off an Overwhelmed Peoples Hammer, and almost certainly won't be in a position to get more than 1 attack off of a Tactical Flanking gambit if you opted for taking out Overwhelm. So really your first 2 rounds will be focused around good field positioning and hopfully trying to land at least one attack to put some pressure on.

------

Knowing that Pro needs the match to last longer than 2 rounds to start being a major attacking threat that needs addressed, your team needs to compliment that.

Beacon is a major choice here because of Bolster Teamup, giving Pro a jumpstart. Combine that with great bursty offensive options and a very formidable defensive setup and 5 health, Beacon is a great compliment to Pro.

AbZero is also a fantastic teamate. First of all, his Impaling Structures provide incredible synergy. Not only can Proletariat potentially push enemies into those hazards, but since Structures raise elevation, they block Line of Sight, forcing your opponent to close the gap onto you and allowing Proletariat to get extra milage out of his own brand of board control. Another aspect of AbZero's game that compliments Proletariat is that since Pro is so annoying to incap (and attcking him early usually results in more clones or wasted attacks), opponents will naturally decide spending their attack actions on your other teamates is the better option. Well AbZero's Coolant Blast gets stronger the most damage he takes and can turn into a 7 dice bomb, and combined with a free Thermal Shockwave is a lot of damage. You don't want to damage AbZero and not score an incap on him. 

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Excellent observations, Foote!

The build Proletariat starts with really depends on the enemy team composition and the map.  

If the map has a lot of cover, such that people have to get close to engage, the game will likely last longer.  He can afford to take the time to clone up and his team can build around him being the only target and they buff him up (Legacy, Unity, Beacon, Bunker).  He probably doesn't need both defensive abilities unless the enemy team is running Ambuscade and traps their area.

If the map has very little cover he may want to start Shared Burden and Overwhelm as you said, or go Sickle and Overwhelm to close the gap.

I recommend Shared Burden as a starting build card (but not necessarily a first turn card) just in case Ambuscade or Tachyon rushes Proletariat and attempts to take him out first thing.  Or if it is a clear map and Wraith or Bunker are going for the sniping attacks.

Remember that more clones make him more vulnerable, not less, unless he is bringing one of his defensive cards, as he becomes more targets that are likely to be in range of the enemy.  But, if he has enough clones, Regroup and Recover can help with this.

I go with both his defensive abilities because I am a defensive player.  I like my characters to survive longer, which usually leads to longer games and goes against the clock deadline.  But, if I know my plans well enough ahead of time my turns can be relatively quick, hopefully making up for the slowdown.  Also, on the turn Proletariat can get his 4th clone, he can drop Shared Burden and run Overwhelm.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Or another good start is Burden + Overwhelm. 1.move  2. duplicate  3. Overwhelm-->Move. This way you have 2 Proletariats pretty far up around midfield  and threatening to make more in a good position if you attack them. I actually like this order a lot.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Can you use Overwhelm on an action you've already taken?  If so, you can get 4 clones out on the first turn!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would think you shouldn't be able to use a non limited action again through Overwhelm but if you can it certainly cuts down on his setup time. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Donner wrote:

Can you use Overwhelm on an action you've already taken?  If so, you can get 4 clones out on the first turn!

Yes you absolutely can do this.

It's the same rational behind "Go, Bots!" allowing multiple uses of a single action.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

In maps like the Pax East map Prole can't do much of anything without a defensive card in play.  If they go to city maps he can be much more effective.  My strategy so far has been sacrifice, overwhelm to start, and you duplicate, move, overwhelm duplicate.  You always need to hang back with one Prole, one prole can hide and you are pretty much invincible with sacrifice.  

Wraith/Prole/Unity can work, with one prole and Wraith hanging with champ while you use turret and swift and clones to clog the field with targets that waste your enemies damage while Wraith snipes.  Overwhelm Sacrifice can go all game until you are ready to finish the game, then flanking obverwhelm can really end things.

Prole/Dawn also works, Truth + Prole is a nasty rush. Sickle/Overwhelm and Effulgence get you moving, and shared Burden can let you pick and choose when to divert to Truth.

It works well if they Omnitron your Dawn team.  Beacon is a great 3rd here, and you can really crush an enemy if things go well.

Just don't fight Tachyon or AZ.  AZ crushes Prole.  It isn't funny.

Don't know how multi-game effective it would be but I owned a Dawn, Prole, Operative game.  Truth was key, and Omnitron got beatdown by Prole and Op.

Huge mistakes to not make:

1.  Shared burden vs. Baron Blade.  Regression burst and you are toast.

2.  Facing AZ, ever.

3.  Forgetting to account for your push when you swarm.

4.  Swarming Bunker and not incapping him.  Hello combustion!

5.  Having no defensive powers in play when not protected by allies or gambling to finish the game.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

That's the other thing about Proletariat, and Skippy sorta touched on it.

Proletariat doesn't really match up as a counter pick to any other character currently. He just doesn't have the tool kit for it. But teams can counter pick against him, like with AbZero and big AoE attacks like Blades Regression burst. Tachyon can set you up hard if you run Burden since she can force you to clone and then Hypersonic you down. 

He can be hard countered but can't hard counter anything in return. It really makes teams strongly consider "why pick Proletariat?" if you are playing a competitive tournament. 

For that reason, if you plan to go with Proletariat in a tournament setting, you need to pick a team that supports and focuses around him and aids in the game that he wants to play. Team selection is critical. 

Ban Tachyon, obviously. 

jajd2c

I was debating taking Proletariat, Absolute Zero, and Visionary. Use Impaling Structures + various pushes to get extra hazard damage on targets, and use Visionary to give mobility and various boosts to the team. 

I'm not sure if it'll work, but so far it sounds like it won't be expected, given the current meta. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Proletariat, AZ and Vis all need teams built around them to shine, like AZ+Legacy so AZ can run around low health nuking people, someone to help prole live to get melee range, and Vis is squishy, she needs protection so she can do her stuff.

Dawn Beacon would be my start for the team, then if they don't have AZ or Tachyon and you have last pick Proletariat would be a solid option.

Unity is a strong ally to Prole, and one strategy I'd love to run would be slip+knives Wraith, Champion Bot, Proletariat in a rush strategy.

It would work well if your opponent doesn't have the firepower to deal with both Champ and Prole quickly.

As long as you kept 1 prole back you'd have tons of targets on them, but not any good ways for your enemy to score incaps.  You obviously dont run this against a team that can get on Unity easily with the likes of Tachyon, Ambuscade or Blade.