The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Radio Play

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

You can probably search the web for "The Shadow" for a good example.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

mori57
Playtester

Nielzabub wrote:

Pydro wrote:
mori57 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is the aim of the Radio Play to be in the same sound as the old (20's, 30's) radio dramas, or are we thinking more modern sound effects?

This seems like a creative decisions, and since I lack any creativity I will let Nielzabub answer this.

This story and Sentinels in general doesn't really have a 20's or 30's feel to it, with the exception of maybe the Narrator, and so I'm inclined to go with modern sound effects. It is an intriguing idea though and probably something worth considering. Where exactly would one find a 20's or 30's radio play to listen to?

You can find some here: http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/scifi.html

Heh. One of my favorite cheesy kind of slapstick movies about the era is "Radioland Murders" ... Christopher Lloyd plays the sound effects guy... a lot of fun. :)

I wasn't meaning in terms of sound fidelity (like, it doesn't have to sound like it's coming over the AM band), but rather in the over-dramaticization. Think Orson Welles when he performed "War of the Worlds" on the air.

mori57
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

mori57 wrote:
Can I just say right now that "Andy Arenson" even sounds super-hero appropriate? :)

Thanks?!

That was intended to be a compliment, by the way. I'm a big fan of alliteration, intentional or not, and so were some of comics' biggest writers! :)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

The Narrator will probably be a bit over-dramaticized, but in the end it will come down to who's audition and interpretation of the lines we like the best probably.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

mori57
Playtester
Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I'm not really sure if I can give you feedback since that would probably give you an unfair advantage over other people auditioning for the Narrator. If you want feedback from people who aren't directly involved with the casting, which right now looks like me and Pydro, that's fine. The actual sound quality of the recording is great though.

mori57
Playtester

Nielzabub wrote:

I'm not really sure if I can give you feedback since that would probably give you an unfair advantage over other people auditioning for the Narrator. If you want feedback from people who aren't directly involved with the casting, which right now looks like me and Pydro, that's fine. The actual sound quality of the recording is great though.

That's fine, I just was excited to get something like this out there. I was surprised at the quality as well... I was just using my gaming mic and Audacity.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

mori57 wrote:

Nielzabub wrote:

That's fine, I just was excited to get something like this out there. I was surprised at the quality as well... I was just using my gaming mic and Audacity.

Audacity is great. I used it in the past when I was dabbling with RPGmaker. Unfortunately I don't have a mic for recording, and I'm a bit too involved to audition for a character myself :(

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OK, we have a bunch of people who signed up, and I (and Nielzabub) cans ee no reason not to give those people a role. If you can send a sample over so we can give you a certain role, that would be great.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The likelihood of me making a useful sample in the next few weeks is slim. I have a decent mic, but no useful screen and it's been more than a year since I've tried recording anything so I'd have to start by asking myself what software I would use, SO, while I fully expect that I'd be able to make useful recordings eventually, it's going to take some dedicated time to get started and I simply don't have it until mid June.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

The likelihood of me making a useful sample in the next few weeks is slim. I have a decent mic, but no useful screen and it's been more than a year since I've tried recording anything so I'd have to start by asking myself what software I would use, SO, while I fully expect that I'd be able to make useful recordings eventually, it's going to take some dedicated time to get started and I simply don't have it until mid June.

In my opinion, you signed up knowing how much work it was going to be, and if you are committed, I have no problem going on your time-table. We wanted the sample to assign the differnet roles (you signed up for 2), but we can just as easily assign them without your sample (assuming some other ones come in). If this works for you, it works for us.

EDIT: Wow, if you just read the first line, it makes me sound horrible. I hope arenson9 reads the whole thing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

arenson9 wrote:

I should probably piggyback off of that time table request.  I have a decent mic (as far as I know), but I'll probably need some time to figure out how to even use the darned thing...

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

My mic is... well, it's a laptop mic. I was given another, but it doesn't work. I can send you something using that for now though, and try for something better later.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

So here are some recommendations from Foote about recording. I wasn't going to bring any of this up originally until the play was cast, but since pretty much everyone who's auditioning is getting a part, here they are.

"I can give some simple recommendations for recording to try and cut some of these variables. Pantyhose stretched around a clothes hanger for example make fantastic pop filters (these eliminate the hard P and T sounds that create stronger pressure waves). A smaller room full of clothes or other absorptive material like rugs makes a good choice to record in. Avoid large rooms and rooms with a lot of reflective surfaces (we want to minimize competing reverb, echos, and phasing that could crop up)."

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Niel, could I get confirmation that you received my recordings?

You don't need to make any comments on them, but I'd like to know if they got through to you.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Theta_Sigma wrote:

Niel, could I get confirmation that you received my recordings?You don't need to make any comments on them, but I'd like to know if they got through to you.

Yes, Hanna, I have received your recordings.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Currently linking my friend to this, she would love to audition. I can vouch for her talent--she even went to NYC recently to work with other voice actors.

Also, I like the idea of funny commericals. Maybe supervillain insurance?

I'd love to help with this personally from a production standpoint, not much a voice actor myself. Niel, if you want to email me at , I can do my best to assist you in any production matters you may need.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

EvanDan55 wrote:

Currently linking my friend to this, she would love to audition. I can vouch for her talent--she even went to NYC recently to work with other voice actors.Also, I like the idea of funny commericals. Maybe supervillain insurance?I'd love to help with this personally from a production standpoint, not much a voice actor myself. Niel, if you want to email me at evandan457@yahoo.com, I can do my best to assist you in any production matters you may need.

The more the merrier.

Normandy
Normandy's picture

Sent my audition! 

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

I've been keeping a sort of eye around here through my work computer, but as it stands I can't record anything until I replace my equipment lost however many years ago in a move, or when my computer got trashed. I don't know anymore.

Anyway, I just moved (again) and will be building up again. I fear the whole project will have moved on by that point, but I can happily be a listener if that comes to be.

My night job is a stage actor! So there is that, eh? 

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Blossercubbles wrote:

I've been keeping a sort of eye around here through my work computer, but as it stands I can't record anything until I replace my equipment lost however many years ago in a move, or when my computer got trashed. I don't know anymore.Anyway, I just moved (again) and will be building up again. I fear the whole project will have moved on by that point, but I can happily be a listener if that comes to be.My night job is a stage actor! So there is that, eh? 

If this project goes well, we may try to do a bigger more ambitious project which will require more people, and so you may have a chance to participate in the future.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

One thing we don't want to overlook is your experience as an actor. Any tips will be greatly appreciated

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Very true, Pydro. If you want to help out behind the scenes as an acting coach or something along those lines, that could be good.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Hey guys! So at the moment I only have auditions from two people. I know some of you guys need some time to prepare for your auditions, and that's fine, but I was thinking of maybe trying to have a Google hangout to try and speed up the process. The biggest obstacle to this will ironically be me. I live in Japan and am only really available during Saturday or Sunday, Friday and Saturday for you folks on the other side of the dateline, and it will probably have to be early in the morning for me. Anyways, it's something to think about.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Hey guys!

So we're almost halfway through the month of June. Can I expect to receive some more audition submissions soon?

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Oooh, now I'm vastly less busy, I could offer my voice for this... Expect a submission tomorrow, probably.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

I went to college for Radio arts. You can expect an audition from me sometime soon.

Also, I don't know much of the production team is established, but I could provide a demo of my production works if you're looking.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

LevelUpLeo wrote:

I went to college for Radio arts. You can expect an audition from me sometime soon. Also, I don't know much of the production team is established, but I could provide a demo of my production works if you're looking.

We have a couple of people who have expressed interest in dealing with the technical aspects, but at this point, we could always use more hands. Sure, go ahead and send a demo.

Kyote

Hey there. I know it's WAY early to even be thinking of it, but should the series (or multiple series, if we end up doing different radio shows for different groups/characters) I'd be more then interested in doing Setback, or something similar. Sadly, based on what I know of my voice, (given I can't hear it as other people do) it's the only one I feel I'd fit well, but I'm up for doing whatever is needed!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Feel free to audtion, that way at least the crew has a decent idea of what you can do with your voice. Ideally, Kyote, we'd love to expand the radio play. My original scripts are very large in focus, but as it stands we're kind of a small, ragtag group, and for now it's best to start with a smaller focus. Voice actors often play multiple roles in a show or movie, and so just because you get cast as one thing early on, doesn't mean you can't get another part once it becomes available.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Hey guys! So it's July now. I hope I'll be seeing some more audition material from some people so that we can cast and then finally start this thing up.

Rath
Playtester

Interesting. I've always wanted to do some voice acting. I'll check out the audition material sometime this week. Might need to pick up a better mic first thought :\

Kyote

Working on getting something to you soon. Been bit busy. Also hard trying to get my voice to sound the way I want for one or two of the parts.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

So I'm going to bump this thread again. At the moment, I've only received auditions from three people...and it's almost the middle of July. First of all, thank you to the people who have sent me their material, it's much appreciated. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but until I get auditions from everyone, this project is effectively on hold. I'd like to get started on the real work as soon as possible, and that means I need audition material for casting.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The reality is that I got handed an unexpected, urgent project on July 10th, so I won't even be able to begin to think about sending in an audition until the end of August, or later.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Oooh... I had forgotten about this while moving. I'll send in some auditions after I my part for the next episode of Defiant Few sent in.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Feel free to show us your stuff.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nielzabub wrote:

There is no way that statement can be taken out of context. None whatsoever.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Nielzabub wrote:

There is no way that statement can be taken out of context. None whatsoever.

At least I didn't ask him to show me his moves.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, his moves are better than his stuff. Just sayin...

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Humble-Knight wrote:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, his moves are better than his stuff. Just sayin...

Buuuuuuurn. Are you disparaging his stuff?

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

It's time for an announcement. Since quite a few of you have not been prompt in sending me auditions, We decided to start casting the people who did. It has been decided that Normandy will be Tachyon and Theta-Sigma will be Wraith. If you guys who signed up on the sheet are still interested in a part and this project, please make it a priority to get an auditon of the part you want recorded and sent to me. We may also PM people asking them to read for a specific part as we continue making casting decisions based on what we have at the moment.

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

Hi, if you're still looking for volunteers I'm happy to help with writing/proofreading and if, for whatever reason, a VA is needed for a part, I've a little experience garnered from a TF2 project that never took off. I come with my own word processor, mic and Audacity.

Oh, and enthusiasm.

Bordering on the somewhat obssessive, sometimes.

Also, hello forums.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

We're always happy to have extra help.

Comrade Bubbles

Well I'm happy to do pretty much anything.

....After appropriate negotiations, of course.

Seriously though, just let me know what you need doing. I'm happy to fill gaps in projects like this.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

We have a cast list for this thing finally figured out. Everyone who's auditioned has had a notification sent to them. If people care to know who's playing who, then I'll post it, otherwise there's not much point. Anyway, the project is still kicking and still moving along.

Kingofsouls

So did this ever get off the ground?

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

It's getting there. I've got the first scene more or less together. The main thing we're waiting on right now is the voice actors.

Comrade Bubbles

Curse you, voice actors!

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

So I just joined cuz man I love this game. I've done some acting, some voice work, so I perked at this-- but even sans involvement (as it's clear that was locked up years back!) -- any more progress?

Hope it's still on track!

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Pages