The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Next Sentinels Day London

662 posts / 0 new
Last post
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Pydro wrote:

Silverleaf, you mentioned a train game and DIDN'T make a pun?

Where's the challenge in that? ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

ViolentSilence

Pydro wrote:

Silverleaf, you mentioned a train game and DIDN'T make a pun?

Haven't enough threads been derailed?

Ameena - you can try Ticket To Ride on steam nowadays, but I'm with you on theme, I'm kind of an escapist gamer so I like to imagine myself doing interesting stuff. Trains don't do it for me either!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

TTR is essentially an abstract game about collecting coloured cards to link up points on the map with little plastic tokens to get victory points. It's not really a train game, just train-flavoured.

It's really not a game you'd like though Ameena, it can be extremely cut-throat as a big part of the game is cutting off other people by claiming the section of track they need to complete a route (assuming you've guessed where they're trying to get to).

Damn it, Ronway!

ViolentSilence

Train-flavoured - fine in the world of boardgames, appalling in the world of coffee...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'd get a buzz out of it.

Damn it, Ronway!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

...must...resist...pun...

seesome
seesome's picture

There's also an excellent version of Ticket to Ride for iPhones and iPads.  Fun game.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

godzilla999666

Check out tabletop on you tube for great board gsmes.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Is Wil Wheaton spamming us now? Or just those of us who live in London? laugh

ViolentSilence

The 29th is open for sign-ups

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Cool, done :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

At the moment, it looks like we're having 8-10 people coming now (!!!!).

Fortunately, we'll have enough cards for 2 games, especially if we include the Cauldron and the bizarre rubbish I've come up with. Please try to make sure you're roughly on time so we can claim two tables (or one large table) without (too much of) a fuss.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Since you and I (and Ja'Ph') are usually on time (and before pretty much everyone else), we should manage to spread ourselves onto enough space before it runs out,I hope ;). Pubs need to have bigger tables so I don't have to keep squishing my cards up every time ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I'm still on for Sunday! Hurrah!

What time are you folks planning to be there so I can ensure I am there right from the off?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

PWatson, Ja'Ph' and I are generally there on time (I think it starts at noon when we're at the Hatter) so feel free to stop by whenever, really :). Ja'Ph' and I tend to leave at around four-ish or so to go and get food (there's a Nando's just down the road) before heading home :).

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It does start at noon. See you there tomorrow.

And don't forget the clocks go forward so it'll feel like 11

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Normally the first reminder I get that the clocks are changing is when my computer gives me a pop-up to tell me so (as it changes) because I don't tend to specifically make note of which weekend the change is gonna happen, I just know which months it is :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

ViolentSilence

It was cool meeting you guys on the weekend, roll on the next one!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, it was fun :D. Almost a pity there were so many of us since it meant I didn't really get to talk to the people in the other group. I wonder how many people we'll manage to amass in future meet-ups. Maybe we'll end up with everyone playing Sentinels and then we will have won! Well, in that group...then we'll have to spread to another one and get them started on it as well... >:)

I am the Wordweaver...

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

And then, WORLD DOMINATION OF BRITAIN.

(And that's why you jump groups halfway through. Talk to all the shiny people! :D)

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

As the last one was such a success, time to organise the next. I'd suggest April 26th, just to keep things regular.

This will be at the Railway Tavern, near Liverpool Street, rather than the Mad Hatter. Itwill start at 11 rather than 12, however, and the Meetup RSVP system opens on Sunday the 19th for it.

ViolentSilence

26th works for me. I thought the RSVPs opened two weeks before the event or is it different from venue to venue?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

They've changed it owing to lots of people signing up. The weekdays are also at a week's notice, now. Technically it opens at 00:15 on the Sunday but I doubt many people will be booking in then.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I have to admit that only being able to confirm you've got a place so late is pretty annoying if you're planning to travel to London and thus need to arrange transport and accommodation.

I guess I'm not the target audience though...

Damn it, Ronway!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

That complaint has been made. This is experimenting to find the balance as a lot of people book very early and then don't show up but don't cancel the RSVP so people who are on the wait list who could have gone can't.

If you find yourself able to attend, let me know and I'll put you down as a +1 or 2 depending.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

pwatson1974 wrote:

That complaint has been made. This is experimenting to find the balance as a lot of people book very early and then don't show up but don't cancel the RSVP so people who are on the wait list who could have gone can't.

When demand outstrips supply, charge money or increase supply. What's stopping the organizers from finding a larger space?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

pwatson1974 wrote:

That complaint has been made. This is experimenting to find the balance as a lot of people book very early and then don't show up but don't cancel the RSVP so people who are on the wait list who could have gone can't.If you find yourself able to attend, let me know and I'll put you down as a +1 or 2 depending.

Thanks, that'll work. No London plans right now, but who knows?

It's a shame that inconsiderate behaviour has lead to making things difficult for non-London types.

Damn it, Ronway!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

pwatson1974 wrote:

When demand outstrips supply, charge money or increase supply. What's stopping the organizers from finding a larger space?

The fact that we're free and the pubs that are letting us use their facilities for free (well, for us buying food and beer) are pretty large. Finding pubs with room for more than 50 gamers on a regular basis, in central London, ain't easy or cheap. And as this is an all-volunteer affair, no one can spend all their time finding them, or certainly paying the likely large cost to rent one properly.

Also LoB has been going for years. Hell, i've been going to them for more than 7 years. Charging would be a massive change in the way we work and one that is likely to be resisted by the organisers as much as the members.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hmmm ... I suppose another solution might be to meet more often.

Perhaps the solution is to take attendance and temporarily ban people who sign up, don't attend, and don't cancel their RSVP. You can be nice about this -- perhaps only banning after X misses or something like that.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

That is on track, the banning of persisent offenders at least. We're going with stern warnigns first, but sanctions are being considered.

However, meeting more often would be tricky. LoB meets practically every day of the week now. I just arange these thigns once a month. I'm at LoB once a week more or less.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I let Ja'Ph' know about the suggested date last night and he said he'd check to confirm that he's free. He's had a bit of a busy couple of days so hopefully he'll remember. If he has then I expect I'll be right back posting here at some point within the next hour or so to let you know ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay, yup, looks like we're good for the 26th :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

London On Board should probably start thinking about multiple venues on key meetup dates, although that could lead to splintering the club. It might be the best way to go though as it continues to grow. It was only a few years ago that they could barely fill the Red Herring once a week with every other Sunday held at that place in St. James, and now it's pretty much daily meets and poeple being turned away due to overcrowding.

In other news, I'm not going to be around for the next Sentinels day but it sure was great to finally make it to one again!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

*psssst* Sign ups are live, don't spread it around or there wont be enough fo all us Sentinels fans.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I remembered to check it about an hour ago so I'm signed up :).

I am the Wordweaver...

ViolentSilence

Signed in too. May have a plus one, but need to speak to them first!

ViolentSilence

By the way - does anyone know if the marathon route is going to disrupt journeys here?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Without knowing more about your journey I can only point you to the page tfl has on it

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/london-marathon?intcmp=26222

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Oh is it the Marathon this weekend? Hrmm, on looking on that site it looks like some of the Tube stations on the C 'n' D line are gonna be a bit busy but hopefully we can get away with it and not get stuck in masses of people :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Ok, time for the sorting out of dates. 24th would be the bank holiday weekend or the 31st. Both at the Railway Tavern, so what say the attendees? which day would work out best for people?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm working on the 25th (the Bank Holiday)...unless I've got a new job by then (waiting to hear about it, should do before the end of the month) in which case I'll have that day off and will be working early-morning every other Monday, lol. So for now I'd prefer the 31st but I haven't asked Ja'Ph' yet. Trains are normally arsey on Bank Holidays so might be best to avoid it anyway, though.

I am the Wordweaver...

ViolentSilence

I'd lean towards the 31st personally, though I can make both dates. Not sure if it has any impact, but the 24th will be the last day of the Premier league season so the pubs may have a few more people in than normal (or maybe not since it looks like everything is going to be decided before then)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I did ask Ja'Ph' about this a few days ago and he said that he thinks he might be working on the Sundays but isn't sure so we're gonna need to find that out. It's possible that we may actually not be able to make it this month but we'll have to see...

I am the Wordweaver...

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Planning a little in advance, my wife and I will be in town the weekend of June 20. If one of these is happening then, we'd love to join you all.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Woots!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

In which case, June's Sentinels day is now Sunday June 21st, at the Railway Tavern by Liverpool Street.

grysqrl, if you want, I can talk to the organisers. We can usually put aside spaces for overseas vistiors in the booking list.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That would be excellent. I'm not sure how many we will be yet (somewhere in the 1-3 range). When would you need a number?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

As early as possible, but as the reservtion list doesn't open until a week before, before then would be best.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ok. I hope to have an answer well before then.

Pages