New Forums are on the way. Please read this announcement for more information.

Paul, how do you feel...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 6 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012
Paul, how do you feel...

...when someone is making a suboptimal move in the tournament? We hear Christopher's reaction, "No, don't move away, use Hypsersonic Assault for a third time!" However, we can't see or hear your reaction.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Game Designer
Joined: May 02, 2013

Pydro wrote:

...when someone is making a suboptimal move in the tournament? We hear Christopher's reaction, "No, don't move away, use Hypsersonic Assault for a third time!" However, we can't see or hear your reaction.

 

Disclaimer: I am not Paul.

 

For myself, though, what makes watching people playing Tactics (and many other games) interesting is seeing what decisions they make differently than what I would do in their shoes. Different players have different play styles.

Unless you're talking about things that are _strictly_ suboptimal, like dying with +1 Defense tokens in hand, or passing your last action instead of Dodging. Then I try not to get too much spit on the screen. :p

Paul
Paul's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 5 days ago
Admin
Joined: Jul 27, 2011

When judging a game, I'm excited to see every team do their best, so it makes me a little sad if I see something that definitely seems suboptimal to me.


“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 12 hours ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

Unless you're talking about things that are _strictly_ suboptimal, like dying with +1 Defense tokens in hand, or passing your last action instead of Dodging. 

Or not aiming a Fission Blast at range 6.

That one stings every time.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 26, 2013

Foote wrote:

 

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:
Unless you're talking about things that are _strictly_ suboptimal, like dying with +1 Defense tokens in hand, or passing your last action instead of Dodging. 

 

Or not aiming a Fission Blast at range 6.That one stings every time.

This has happened?

My goodness, I would have slapped someone.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 38 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

phantaskippy wrote:
Foote wrote:

Or not aiming a Fission Blast at range 6.That one stings every time.

This has happened?

My goodness, I would have slapped someone.

I almost slapped my TV...


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, I've never understood when people pass when they still have something left to do. Even if you don't plan on being hit, Dodge. If you've got hazards out Aim. Drives me nuts.