The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Paul, how do you feel...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Paul, how do you feel...

...when someone is making a suboptimal move in the tournament? We hear Christopher's reaction, "No, don't move away, use Hypsersonic Assault for a third time!" However, we can't see or hear your reaction.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Pydro wrote:

...when someone is making a suboptimal move in the tournament? We hear Christopher's reaction, "No, don't move away, use Hypsersonic Assault for a third time!" However, we can't see or hear your reaction.

Disclaimer: I am not Paul.

For myself, though, what makes watching people playing Tactics (and many other games) interesting is seeing what decisions they make differently than what I would do in their shoes. Different players have different play styles.

Unless you're talking about things that are _strictly_ suboptimal, like dying with +1 Defense tokens in hand, or passing your last action instead of Dodging. Then I try not to get too much spit on the screen. :p

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

When judging a game, I'm excited to see every team do their best, so it makes me a little sad if I see something that definitely seems suboptimal to me.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

Unless you're talking about things that are _strictly_ suboptimal, like dying with +1 Defense tokens in hand, or passing your last action instead of Dodging. 

Or not aiming a Fission Blast at range 6.

That one stings every time.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:
Unless you're talking about things that are _strictly_ suboptimal, like dying with +1 Defense tokens in hand, or passing your last action instead of Dodging. 

Or not aiming a Fission Blast at range 6.That one stings every time.

This has happened?

My goodness, I would have slapped someone.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:
Foote wrote:

Or not aiming a Fission Blast at range 6.That one stings every time.

This has happened?

My goodness, I would have slapped someone.

I almost slapped my TV...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Yeah, I've never understood when people pass when they still have something left to do. Even if you don't plan on being hit, Dodge. If you've got hazards out Aim. Drives me nuts.