The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Bottom of the 9th is on Kickstarter!

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craig
Craig's picture
Admin
Bottom of the 9th is on Kickstarter!

Hey, everyone. We just launched a fantastic new game on Kickstarter called Bottom of the 9th. It's a light card and dice game about baseball and bluffing. I had a chance to play with Darrell Louder, one of the designers, and I had a blast. I'm not even a huge baseball guy!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/bottom-of-the-9th-a-dice...

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Backed! Love the visual presentation of this one...!

MrLeRobot...

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Indeed. Like the rest of the DHMG stuff, it just feels comfortable, like an oft-used simile.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

This stinks. Trying to do the second tier, and it keeps timing out, and the number keeps going down.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I was all meh, who wants a baseball game?

Then I read about it, looked at the PnP files, read about the solo variant and the Sentinels of the Ballpark and I'm hooked.

Spending money I don't even have for a game that this morning I didn't even want.

This is all the work of that hideous villain Mergatron!

cmschex
Playtester

Yeah KS is having real issues today

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

This stinks. Trying to do the second tier, and it keeps timing out, and the number keeps going down.

Kickstarter doesn't want to take my money either.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I LOVE the design of the player cards. Baseball cards! Great idea! And the Arkham Elders? Good lord did I have such a chuckle.

I'm with Skippy on this one. I'm not a huge baseball fan (don't get me started on the Phillies right now), but this one might have to be a back for me. Price is reasonable, the presentation and looks are fantastic, and I might have to swing at it. 

Print and Play option is also very nice and transparent. I'll be taking advantage of it for sure.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

...and I might have to swing at it. 

I've played it, and let me tell you: it's a three-pointer right into the end zone!

(I know nothing about sports.)

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I don't know foote, The Arkham Elders might be old enough to actually get an offer from the Phillies. (oh snap)

morph147

i really like the sentinels of the 9th strech goal..... wonder if I can talk my wife into letting me pledge. FYI though I didnt see anything about shipping on here.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm going to look at it, but if have no interest whatsoever in baseball and bluffing isn't my favourite.

This is how much I love you guys.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

morph147 wrote:

i really like the sentinels of the 9th strech goal..... wonder if I can talk my wife into letting me pledge. FYI though I didnt see anything about shipping on here.

If you click to pledge on either level it will automatically add it.  The US shipping is $5 at least.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

I don't know foote, The Arkham Elders might be old enough to actually get an offer from the Phillies. (oh snap)

This is only funny because of how painfully true it is

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

This bluffing seems like it would be silent bluffing, not lying to people.

I hate games where I actively have to lie to people, I'm terrible at it, and I try not to lie so it really isn't a skill I wish to develop.

This game the bluffing is largely trying to guess where the other player will be throwing the pitch.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Still not going through, but I have to stop trying and go. Will have to settle for the first tier. Oh, well.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Silverleaf

If I had to guess, I would suspect that Viva Java would be your favorite Dice Hate Me game. Have you played it?

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Paul wrote:

@SilverleafIf I had to guess, I would suspect that Viva Java would be your favorite Dice Hate Me game. Have you played it?

I haven't. I don't think I've played any of them, actually. Is there a decaf version? ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Silverleaf wrote:
Paul wrote:
@SilverleafIf I had to guess, I would suspect that Viva Java would be your favorite Dice Hate Me game. Have you played it?

I haven't. I don't think I've played any of them, actually. Is there a decaf version? ;)

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game has a decaf version. No joke.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Craig wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
Paul wrote:

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game has a decaf version. No joke.

I love that that's a thing.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep, officially got an email that the second tier is gone and it didn't go through. Any chance for upping the number?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game: The Decaf Version: Lite!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Foote wrote:

phantaskippy wrote:

This is only funny because of how painfully true it is

Ow.

Phillies are my team.

Ow.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

We can share a good cry next time I see you Arenson9 crying

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Pydro

I think that there probably is. I'll talk with Darrell, but I think we might be able to add some more in a week or two after PAX. Hopefully the Kickstarter nonsense will have calmed down by then.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks!

morph147

is there anyway they can actually post how much they need for the stretch goals on the kickstarter?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Those will be revealed over the course of the campaign! Stay tuned for more info!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

This game looks pretty fun. I've never bought a game from DHMG, but I guess that's about to change!

You're free to do whatever you want to.

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Also, about the bluffing comment, I get the feeling that the game is more about double-guessing your opponent rather than plain bluffing. Right? I haven't read the rules yet, but I remember Darell talked about it during an episode of "The State of Games" (can't remember wich episode though...).

MrLeRobot...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The Stare Down is the "bluffing" point it seems, but that is a double blind guess.

Both select location, and batter gets bonuses the more correct their guess is.

Darrell
Darrell's picture
AdminGame Designer

Yes, exactly as phantaskippy stated.

Each turn starts with the Stare Down. The pitcher secretly chooses the pitch Direction & Location (High/Low and Inside/Away). The batter has the same pair of tokens and is trying to guess what the pitcher will choose. This guess will be made off of the pitcher's ACE ability, the Pitcher's Fatigue track, and their good ol' gut.

Both players then, simultaniously, reveal their tokens. For each guess the batter gets correct, they get a corresponding ability (bigger/better ability if they get both right). For each guess that was wrong, the pitcher gains a corresponding ability- similar to the batter.

Then the pitcher rolls the pitch dice (Pitch & Control) and then mitigates them based on the abilities they have and wish to use.

The batter then rolls their Swing die, and mitigates as well based on the abilities they have and wish to use.

The result of the pitch/swing is then determined.

It sounds like a lot but the above takes about 10-20 seconds.

Hope that helps! 

On twitter: @getlouder

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Sadly Kickstarter still doesn't work for me.  This stinks.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Okay, can someone explain to someone who has never seen a baseball match what "inside" and "away" mean? I assume from context that the terms are functionally equivalent to "left" and "right", but they can't actually mean that otherwise you'd just say "left/right", right?

Is there some special significance to the ninth inning?

Also what do those batting average numbers mean?

It may be obvious by now that I know literally nothing about baseball other than the fact that there's throwing/hitting/catching of a ball, and running, and striped shirts. And hot dogs and beer.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Inside means closer to the batter, outside means away. What direction this is changes depending on what side of the plate the vatter is standing on.

The ninth inning is the last inning. Each team gets a last chance to bat.

The average is the actual average of hitting the ball and getting on base vs getting out. Instead of a percentage, a decimal is used, and you read it as if it wasn't a decimal. .300 is a 300 batting average, which is good.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Thanks! I'm not sure I'm much wiser, but I have no previous baseball knowledge "context" to hang the information on.

I'm basing this entirely on rounders, since I assume the two sports have to be similar as they involve throwing, hitting, and running around a shape to score points.

Pitching: Does the ball have to be potentially "hittable" when it's pitched without the batter needing to take a step to reach it? Like it has to enter an imaginary area based on where the batter/bat is? So "inside" is the batter side of that area and "away" is the non-batter side. Not left or right because the batter could be on the left or the right (presumably because they 're left or right-handed).

Innings: I assume that only one team bats in each of the previous eight innings, in turn, so an equal number of bats/pitches. Why is there a ninth, in that case?

Damn it, Ronway!

cmschex
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Thanks! I'm not sure I'm much wiser, but I have no previous baseball knowledge "context" to hang the information on.I'm basing this entirely on rounders, since I assume the two sports have to be similar as they involve throwing, hitting, and running around a shape to score points.Pitching: Does the ball have to be potentially "hittable" when it's pitched without the batter needing to take a step to reach it? Like it has to enter an imaginary area based on where the batter/bat is? So "inside" is the batter side of that area and "away" is the non-batter side. Not left or right because the batter could be on the left or the right (presumably because they 're left or right-handed).Innings: I assume that only one team bats in each of the previous eight innings, in turn, so an equal number of bats/pitches. Why is there a ninth, in that case? 

Each inning has a top half, in which the home team pitches and the visiting team bats, and the bottom half, in which the visiting team pitches and the home team bats.  A half inning is over when the fielding side records 3 outs

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The ball has to be hittable without moving. It has to go over the plate the batter is next to. If it is inside, it is between the batter and the plate. If it is outside, it is past the plate on the side without the batter. It also cant be too high or too low.

Each inning has two parts: top and bottom. During each top of the inning, the away team bats, during the. bottom, the home team. It goes:

Top of first
Bottom of first
Top of second
etc.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

So the ninth's only significant because it's the last? No format changes otherwise?

Damn it, Ronway!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Silverleaf wrote:

Pitching: Does the ball have to be potentially "hittable" when it's pitched without the batter needing to take a step to reach it?

If the ball can't be hit with a swing

that pitch is a quite legal thing

but it's not counted a strike

the batter gets to hike

up the bases if four balls do ring.

Translation:  If the batter doesn't swing at the ball, and the umpire judges that it wasn't hittable, it doesn't count as a 'strike' against the batter, and if the batter gets 4 'balls', they get to walk to first base.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

So the ninth's only significant because it's the last? No format changes otherwise?

Correct.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

And I thought cricket was confusing! ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

An inning can go on indefinitely, you could score any number of runs.  So the bottom of the ninth is the last chance the losing team has to make up the runs to win the game.

If the winning team bats in the bottom half of the inning and they lead when the bottom of the ninth comes up they skip it, since the pitching team can't do anything to change the result of the game.

The bottom of the ninth usually has the entire crowd standing (since the home team always bats in the bottom and they are trying to come back and win) and is a very exciting time.

Inside-Outside is used instead of left-right because batters can be left or right handed, and it is more important to note if the ball is heading toward the player or away.

Pitching inside has value, as it is hard to hit a ball hard when it is closer to your hand, but you have the chance of actually hitting the batter, which gives the batter a free base.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

phantaskippy wrote:

The bottom of the ninth usually has the entire crowd standing

... because they're on their way to their cars to beat the traffic out of the parking lot before the game is actually over. ;)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Okay, it's getting clearer.

Nine innings sounds like a really long game!

Damn it, Ronway!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Okay, it's getting clearer.Nine innings sounds like a really long game!

Hence the hotdogs and the beer.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

ViolentSilence

Donner wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

Hence the hotdogs and the beer.

Yeah, but you can grab those whilst doing something entertaining instead... cheeky

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

At least it doesn't last FIVE SODDING DAYS.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:

At least it doesn't last FIVE SODDING DAYS.

I was a football (soccer) fan as a kid. 90 minutes is a sensible number, with a nice break in the middle.

I tried watching American football once. It took about six years to play five minutes of game.

Damn it, Ronway!

ViolentSilence

Silverleaf wrote:
I tried watching American football once. It took about six years to play five minutes of game.

I find American football a lot like cricket - often when very little appears to be happening, one team has is doing something very well but you need to know the sport to see and understand it. They've wonderfully tactical at the top level, whilst relying on contests between individuals underneath

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I believe if you cut out the time at the line of scrimmage, and go with just snap of the ball to whistle and cut all the time inbetween, the actual action of an American Football game is around 11 minutes, and takes about 3 hours and 11 minutes to play.

As for Baseball the average MLB game is 3 hours, and a decent bit of that is TV time.  A non-televised game takes a lot less time, in college I would work the games and it was usually 90 minutes.

Americans like talking about Sports even more than we like watching or playing them, so we need big breaks in the action.

Pages