The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

VivaJava & Compounded - print runs & gameplay curiosity

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester
VivaJava & Compounded - print runs & gameplay curiosity

I've really not looked into any of the DHMG games before, but there is obviously concerted enthusiasm that intrigues me.

In the merger announcement, a Compounded reprint was mentioned.  Is there also a current reprint planned for VivaJava: The Coffee Game?  Are there any rough ETAs that can be given for those (and any current-planned expansions like the Geiger expansion)?  My end goal would be to get Brew Crafters, VivaJava, Compounded, and all the current expansions for them in one order if possible.

The descriptions of VivaJava and Compounded both sound like resource management games with intra-player economy emphasized.  Is that about right?  Does anyone who's played them care to comment on the gameplay?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

When I first heard about Compounded when it was on Kickstarter, I was intrigued. Chemistry? Awesome! And then I saw the word "auction" and that put me right off.

It still looks great, but auctions are almost guaranteed to turn me off. Space, bluffing, sports I don't know the rules of, and cars are also on my turn-off list.

Superheroes has mostly been removed from that list now.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I am so sorry Silverleaf, but the last SotM expansion will have auctions, space, bluffing, cars, and sports you don't know the rules of.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Did Nanuk not soften your opinion on bluffing just a little?

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I like bluffing for the most part, even though I am terrible at it. My favorite is Cash n Guns. That may be due to how funny it is

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Pydro wrote:

I am so sorry Silverleaf, but the last SotM expansion will have auctions, space, bluffing, cars, and sports you don't know the rules of.

Damn it!

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Mezike wrote:

Did Nanuk not soften your opinion on bluffing just a little?

I like Nanuk despite the bluffing. I still don't like bluffing as a game mechanism, mostly because I'm rubbish at it and I feel a game should be testing something other than my rubbish social skills. I'm cool with poker because I can bluff by doing nothing, or showing my cards, or silently making a huge bid or whatever, but my verbal lying skills are very poor.

Similarly I'm not keen on social deduction games where I get accused and then have to argue that I'm not the werewolf or whatever. I suck at persuading people I'm not a werewolf, even if I'm not a werewolf.

Damn it, Ronway!

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:
I still don't like bluffing as a game mechanism, mostly because I'm rubbish at it and I feel a game should be testing something other than my rubbish social skills. ... Similarly I'm not keen on social deduction games where I get accused and then have to argue that I'm not the werewolf or whatever. 

I'm in the same boat for the same reasons, but I'm okay with the idea of an auction - to me that's just a question of bidding resources for other resources and determining what you're willing to give up to get something you want.  I'm not necessarily good at it (I tend to fail badly at trading with other players in Settlers, for example) but I don't mind it in a game.  Continuing to use Settlers as an example, the portion of that game that I like the least is probably the randomness of the resource gathering based on dice rolls.  I'd prefer better guaranteed resource production that was more easily controlled by player choice to support trading with other players to cover gaps in production.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@EdgeDS

We will be reprinting Viva Java! I'm not sure on the schedule of that yet - we'll make an announcement once we know. Compounded and Geiger are likely to be back in print in June or thereabouts, but the printer for those is pretty slow, so I'm not sure yet.

@Silverleaf

I have not read the KS description of Compounded, but I have played it a number of times and there isn't anything in it that resembles an "auction" in my mind. Here is roughly how it works:

1) Players take turns performing a set of actions. First, people randomly draw new elements, then they optionally trade elements, then they claim compounds, then they place the elements, then they score completed compounds.

2) Scoring compounds also lets players "level up" and/or gain various extra abilities.

3) After compounds are scored and removed, new compounds are added to the board, possibly triggering explosive lab fires.

4) Some large compounds are "shared" between two players and must be claimed by two players to score.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Good to know (both responses), thanks!

Darrell
Darrell's picture
AdminGame Designer

When I first heard about Compounded when it was on Kickstarter, I was intrigued. Chemistry? Awesome! And then I saw the word "auction" and that put me right off.

Auction? There is no auction in my game, I dislike auction mechanics. Seriously.

Hey, i'm the designer of Compounded and need to clarify there is nothing auction-like in the game at all. There is open-trading, but no auction. NO AUCTIONS.

Compounded is a game about building chemical compounds through careful management of elements, a fair bit of social play and trading, and just a bit of luck. In Compounded, players take on the roles of lab managers, hastily competing to complete the most compounds before they are completed by others – or destroyed in an explosion. Some compounds are flammable and will grow more and more volatile over time; take too long to gather the necessary elements for those compounds and a lot of hard work will soon be scattered across the lab.

Although Compounded does involve a fair share of press-your-luck tension and certainly some strategic planning, the most successful scientists will often be those who strike a good trade with their fellow lab mates. Players are able to freely trade elements, laboratory tools, and even favors – if there is truly honor among chemists!

On twitter: @getlouder

Darrell
Darrell's picture
AdminGame Designer

Compounded is currently at the printer now, and is expected to have the second edition back in stock mid-spring, in addition to the first expansion, Compounded: Geiger Expansion.

We are currently in talks now for a VivaJava reprint, and will announce that date when allowed to (will be 2015). Wink

On twitter: @getlouder

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Excellent, thanks!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Hi Darrell! Welcome to the forums and thanks for those answers. Hope to see more of you!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Ah, my apologies Darrell.

Obviously I've completely misremembered. It was "trading" that put me off, not "auction".

Similar logic applies though - I'm no good at trading because I'm no good at persuading people into deals that are good for me, and no good at arguing my way out of a deal that is bad for me. Other players quickly realise that my negotiation skills are weak and take advantage of that, and I hate to be disadvantaged in a game because I suck at a specific social skill.

I double hate Settlers. If the dice screw me over I have nothing good to trade. Even if I do have something good to trade I'm bad at trading so either way I end up with few resources and my game grinds to a halt and I have to just do nothing on my turn and hope someone rolls "my" numbers so I can actually play.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Do these compounds have super villains breaking out of them?

Can we rebrand this "Pike Industrial, the Game."?

I demand games with science and mutant villain monsters.

Although this game does sound really cool.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Everything's better with checmicals.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

How about a crossover promotion where you get a pair of HUD goggles when you buy Compound.

And a Unity costume for your cat.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Raptor Bot costume instead.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'll need to get a cat, but sure.

Damn it, Ronway!

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

A reprint of VivaJava would be awesome! I've played a lot of it, such a unique game... Not often do you high five your opponent during a game...!

Side note: It's funny to see that GTG portrait of you, Darell...!

MrLeRobot...

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

First off, Hi Darrell! Welcome to the forums. laugh

Secondly, Compounded sounds like my cup of tea. A trading game dealing with Chemistry? Yes please!!

Can I be annoying and ask how detailed does Compounded get into Chemistry? Can someone with no chemistry knowledge play this happily? And vice versa, in the sense can a Chemist play this and get really complex with this game?

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

You can play perfectly fine without any chemistry knowledge. Basically, you're trying to build molecules from elements that you draw from a bag. The molecules have their "recipes" on the card, so you cannot just improvise and build, let's say, a saccharose molecule (although it could be funny... or annoying...!). On the other hand, if you know the molecular formula of some compounds, you might recognize some of them on the cards because they are all "real life" molecules.

MrLeRobot...

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

MrLeRobot wrote:

You can play perfectly fine without any chemistry knowledge. Basically, you're trying to build molecules from elements that you draw from a bag. The molecules have their "recipes" on the card, so you cannot just improvise and build, let's say, a saccharose molecule (although it could be funny... or annoying...!). On the other hand, if you know the molecular formula of some compounds, you might recognize some of them on the cards because they are all "real life" molecules.

That is actually pretty cool!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

ViolentSilence

MrLeRobot wrote:

I hadn't heard of the game until I read about the merger, but when I watched Tom Vasel's review, I did geek out a bit at where he shows the fire extinguisher and said you need to build it with 1 carbon and 2 oxygen (Carbon Dioxide).

He described it as Ticket To Ride weight - is that about fair? I enjoyed Ticket but I find trains to be one of the least interesting things on the planet, so whilst it's a good game, I'd sooner not buy it if I can get something as challenging but with a more interesting theme. Also do youu know anything about expansions etc for it?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@VioletSilence

I think that the analogy to Ticket to Ride is roughly accurate.

We are reprinting Compounded along with the Geiger Expansion, and they should both be available this summer! We also have a mini-expansion for Compounded, the "Chemical Chaos Expansion", in stock in the store right now.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Paul wrote:

We also have a mini-expansion for Compounded, the "Checmical Chaos Expansion", in stock in the store right now.

FTFY.

Damn it, Ronway!

ViolentSilence

Paul wrote:
I think that the analogy to Ticket to Ride is roughly accurate.We are reprinting Compounded along with the Geiger Expansion, and they should both be available this summer!

Thank you - I'll be keeping an eye out on Esdevium etc! Posted the Dice Tower review to a friend's wall so I might have help sell another copy too

How do the expansions fit in the main box? I took it as a good sign that the one criticism Tom could muster was that he felt the box was a little smaller than he'd like

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

MrLeRobot wrote:

Cool! Thank you! Then yes, I am definitely buying this game when they restock. (And probably all expansions available.)

I am kinda sad that you can not make your own compounds, but at the same time I understand why they would not make the game to be played like that. I am excited to learn and play this game. laugh

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.

ViolentSilence

Posted a link to Bottom of the 9th to a friend's page, the partner of a mutual friend saw the link and has now shared Compounded on the mutual friend's page. Can I claim commission?... ;-)

ViolentSilence

For anyone curious about Compounded, I've found a gameplay video here:
https://vimeo.com/104809871

It has some technical difficulties, and I think the game play is a little slower than it would usually be as they're actively demoing/discussing the game (with the Geiger expansion), but you can get a pretty good feel for the game I'd say. I'm 90% likely to buy it, once it hits UK distributors

JavaJunkie

Any idea when the reprint of VivaJava is going to be? This is all I want for Christmas.wink

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Unfortunately not for Christmas :(

I'm hoping by the middle of next year!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Must...have...coffee...

JavaJunkie

NOOOOOO!!!!  It's all I want for Christmas (and my upcoming birthday) too.  crying